Strange comp problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
Hi,

i will start frm the beginning.I wanted to install NFS HP2,which did not install properly..while installing it asked to upgrade the direct X(earlier i had X6),wat it did after is causing a real pain in my neck man..i lost half of the installed software folders in the program files in C drive.when i ran SFC,it showed many .ini,.sys,.dll files missing.I tried restoring from the win98 folder stored in my HDD.some wer but some wernt..I cudnt open any applications like office packages(office 2000).i reinstalled windows ultimately but i cant open sites in IE and still i cant open my office stuff...

any suggestions wat struck me..
i can assure u ters no virus and tis prob occured after that botched installation of NFS HP2...

plz let me know asap

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
i used norton 2003...first some of its files went missing.so uninstalled it..no bad sectors in HDD(brand new samsung 40Gb)

K

khattam_

Ok, if you have reinstalled, reinstall Windows again.
It doesn't take long
Then update your IE coz the one that comes with 98 is really old.........
And reinstall your Office too......................
By the way......have you installed Office after reinstall
And do format your hard disk before install, don't mess it up by installng to the same old folder
And 98 has TOO many probs
Get XP if you can
I'm using XP with latest updates
DO it if you can
And upgrade your DIrect X

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
hi,
ya dude..i did install over the problematic windows..i didnt know much abt formatting,after my HDD crashed some time back,i didnt want to take chances with my new samsung HDD(cost me 2800-40GB)...so i unknowingly did tat blunder..but still am not faced with any big probs...maybe its still quite down under..no i cudnt install office 2000.its asking for cd,which i dont hav.still looking for it.am using FF 1.0.1..direct x is ver 8...but i stil thnk XP hogs lots of space,plus am accustomed to 98..i guess its time for a change..

K

khattam_

krisjr said:
hi,
ya dude..i did install over the problematic windows..i didnt know much abt formatting,after my HDD crashed some time back,i didnt want to take chances with my new samsung HDD(cost me 2800-40GB)...so i unknowingly did tat blunder..but still am not faced with any big probs...maybe its still quite down under..no i cudnt install office 2000.its asking for cd,which i dont hav.still looking for it.am using FF 1.0.1..direct x is ver 8...but i stil thnk XP hogs lots of space,plus am accustomed to 98..i guess its time for a change..
Common man you are a warmed up nerd and are afraid of formattin.
I have formatted my segate harddisk more than 10 times. No probs yet.

Backup your data in a safe drive, say d:
Boot with 98 CD or floppy
run the following command
format c:/q
And the disk will be formatted within seconds
And no problems should occur.....................
Reinstall 98, office and all your programs
I usually format once a month coz i always mess up with my windows and formatting and reinatallation is the best option..........................................................for me at least

suj_engico

Broken In
krisjr said:
hi,
Hey dude!!!
This is real silly stuff.
Formatting ur harddisk has no relation with its crashing. Just take this misconception out of ur mind.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom