starting window manager from non gui login prompt arch Linux

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a system with Intel i3 10th generation processor and a crt monitor. I have installed Arch Linux along with windows 11. At present current kernel version is 6.1.

Everything is working fine I mean I am able to login using sddm display manager into kde plasma and gnome desktop environments and do some work. Yesterday I have installed window managers like awesome, black box etc., Some of these window managers like awesome have an entry in sddm but others like blackbox don't have.

Now my requirement is I want to use blackbox, aewm and so upon booting process has been completed and seeing sddm display manager I have pressed Ctrl alt F2 and I got command line login prompt and I have entered my username and password and after that I have entered command blackbox but I am getting errors.

Upon entering the commands of window managers like blackbox aewm I am getting errors as

Code:
can't open display check your DISPLAY variable

After that I have exported display variable to screen 0 and issued same command as before but I am getting error as "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key".

I am showing whole process as below.

Code:
Arch Linux 6.1# login
password

$ aewm++

$ export DISPLAY=:0
$ aewm++
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

The same thing is happening when I issue the command startplasma-x11.

Kindly try to suggest how to set display variable properly and are there any things to do inorder to use other window managers which does not have an entry in sddm display manager.

May I know how to add an entry for blackbox in sddm display manager ie., how to create a file in /usr/share/xsessions.

If you can't suggest everything atleast try to refer a small manual or link in internet so that I can follow.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
TBH you should not be juggling so many DEs or WMs at the same time since that will just bloat your system. It's also likely that some of them might be conflicting with each other.

As for your actual problem, I think you already have a few answers here: *bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=282595

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
At present I have installed a number of desktop environments and window managers but there are no conflicts and everything is working fine.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom