Starfield

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Going by the given benchmarks, perhaps you'll need DLSS. There are two mods so far that add DLSS support to this game IIRC.

Going by the given benchmarks, perhaps you'll need DLSS. There are two mods so far that add DLSS support to this game IIRC.
I'll try with Hardware Unboxed's optimised performance settings tomorrow at 1080p. Let's see how it goes. HUB did test kind of a heavy area for the benchmark, so let's see.

Played Starfield for 2 hours or so. Game doesn't have an option to run fullscreen at lower resolution (it runs windowed if I set 1080p on my 1440p monitor).

So I'm getting around 60fps in some places with higher fps in low demanding areas. Using HUB performance mode settings at 1440p with FSR set to 75% render resolution (so render at 1080p, then upscale, similar to FSR2 ultra quality preset in other games). I do see occasional 55-58fps, not too noticeable fps drops as of now. The game doesn't look good enough relative to the horsepower it needs to run, no way around it.

Initially the game is going slow. Keep expectations in check, reviewers were right about missed potential for sure.

1693979717009.png

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Are you gonna buy steam version for skse equivalent support in future or use gamepass version which would be heavily restricted for moddability.

Are you gonna buy steam version for skse equivalent support in future or use gamepass version which would be heavily restricted for moddability.
There's no way I pay 5k for this above average game with bad performance, not even worth 2.5k IMO. Perhaps modders might patch it up including optimising the performance, but its the job of the company. I do hope the community can take it to new heights in the coming years, but time will tell.

There are no major bugs that I encountered, still games like HZD, Witcher 3, AC Origins/Odyssey, etc were able to wow me within few hours of playing.

Quality of games are poor these days in general. It went downhill since 2020 IMO. Still I'm going to complete Starfield because I want to play some new game. I played FIFA 23's ultimate team a lot this year, so want something new.

Darth Vader

In the zone
Never Pay or Play any game that doesnt adhere to regional pricing. Atleast Starfield is on GamePass, there are worse like Destiny 2 final expansion DLC that cost more than a full AAA game lol.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Quality of games are poor these days in general. It went downhill since 2020 IMO. Still I'm going to complete Starfield because I want to play some new game. I played FIFA 23's ultimate team a lot this year, so want something new.
Why we dont have BG3 thread lol.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I had bought FO4 on day one with the Diwali bonus I had got back in 2015. It turned out to be mediocre compared to FO3 and FONV. So I learned my lesson.

Bethsoft's brand of RPG isn't really what is used to be. Technically even Skyrim isn't a good RPG (it's fun but still no depth).

I'll still buy Starfield, but not anytime soon.

Never Pay or Play any game that doesnt adhere to regional pricing. Atleast Starfield is on GamePass, there are worse like Destiny 2 final expansion DLC that cost more than a full AAA game lol.
True, playing it on Gamepass myself.

Why we dont have BG3 thread lol.
Heard good things about BG3 for sure. But its just 1 game in 2023. Its isometric view & turn based gameplay are putting me off from trying it, but might try it sometime in future. I'm looking forward to Cities Skyline II next month.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
BG3 has more depth than most RPGs. I might come around to BG3 once I finish BG1 and BG2.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Todd Howard asked on-air why Bethesda didn't optimise Starfield for PC: 'We did [...] you may need to upgrade your PC'

"Uh… we did," says Howard, as Phil Spencer fails to suppress a chuckle. "It's running great. It is a next gen PC game, we really do push the technology, so you may need to upgrade your PC for this game, but it's got a lot of great stuff going on in it and the fans are responding awesome."

*www.pcgamer.com/todd-howard-asked-...or-pc-we-did-you-may-need-to-upgrade-your-pc/

Lmao Todd.

I don't think the game is next-gen. Graphics are at a stage of diminishing returns with requirements increasing without any tangible benefit. The most popular GPU on steam is 1650, which is worse than the previous most popular GPU, 1060. So most players can't play Starfield well. They should have targeted 60fps on XB SX honestly. I doubt anything will change with updates as it seems like a core issue which needs a lot of work.

I put in 24hrs+ on Starfield.

The main story becomes much more interesting after Into the Unknown & All That Money Can Buy quests. Surely there are missed opportunities here & there but the game is enjoyable. Game doesn't explain stuff well too, so some YouTube videos might help you with that. Some side missions are very interesting, need to do more of these. I got my 2nd ship from a side mission which is a big upgrade over the starter ship.

I will say the biggest con of this game is the performance. Bethesda should have done a better job optimising it.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Did the game pass version get the DLSS update yet?
Not sure if a 3050 laptop gpu can handle it in low/medium settings at playable fps?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
There is no official DLSS support IIRC.

There are some modders who added DLSS support unofficially, you could try those.

Top Bottom