SMPS/PSU doubt & compatibility with my config

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagarphadkule

Broken In
I have seen everyone here going for the Corsair, Antec etc SPMS which are for about 3k, 4k etc. But we get an SMPS with the cabinet for just Rs. 400 - 500. So whats so different between these smps and the 3k-4k SMPSes? Even the wattage is comparable.

I'm buying an assembled PC with these components that i have selected:
Will the SMPS that comes with the cabinet (IBall) be able to support that configuration? What should be its wattage for this config? (And how do u calculate it!?)
Also please tell if this configuration is good for mediocre gaming and video conversions.

Component.................Specs..................................Price
CPU.......................Intel C2D 3.0Ghz E8400.............8600
Mobo.....................Intel DG31PR...........................3450
HDD.......................250 GB Serial ATA Seagate........2325
RAM ..... ...............1GB 800 Transcend x 2..............950x2
GFX Card................nVIDIA 512MB 8600GT..............3900
Cabinet..................I box (includes SMPS)...............1300
UPS.......................Champion...............................(have already)
Monitor..................17” TFT monitor LG..................8150
TV Tuner card.........Intex/PixelView.......................~1100
Speakers................Creative Inspire 2.1 ................1750
Firewire card......................................................~300
DVD Writer.........................................................1100

The UPS i have may be of 600VA. Its rating isnt written anywhere but its Model No is written as UPS-600P

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
you pay for what you get..people are not stupid to pay more if it is the same...

cheap smps say it has so and so wattage. but in reality it could only effectively supply half of it more or less if i m not wrong abt it

metoo

Right off the assembly line
I would go with DG33 or DG35 as it has better ( only marginal but noticeable) and has more SATA ports ( ICH9 vs ICH7) and supports 4 memory slots ( better expandability )

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Well I was going to go for DG33 only but its not available here currently. But surfing more just now on mobos, i found out that there are new mobos which have PCI-E 2.0 slots and support for DDR3 RAM - X38 chipset and P45 chipset. Anyone knows their prices?

acewin

Point Blanc
E8400
MSI P35 Neo or Palt P35A 4.3-4.5K
Even best of DG31 based mobos are in less than 3K
Asus 8600GT 256 MB DDR3 in 2.8-3K, the 512 MB is DDR2, not worth it.
RAM single stick 2GB less than 1600
HDD 250 GB price you quote is good
Cabinet IBall/Zebronics whichever you feel is good for you but make sure the PSU is 400W for minimum
Speaker BXR1121 Altec Lansing in 1.1K
Get lil better TV Tuner card like Leadtek in 2K if you want we can tell you the model. Otherwise buy the Pixelview
19" Viewsonic in 8.8K Dell 198WFP in 9.5K

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
The MSI P35 Neo is for 6k on *www.theitdepot.com/product.php?cat=13&sub_category_id=46&product_id=2764 !!

I think I need to reconsider all the components for more optimization. And I realise the prices here are too high. Though 'here' meaning i know only one wholesale shop in pune.

@acewin does a single 2gb stick work? I had read somewhere that we need to 'balance' the RAM modules.

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
I have seen everyone here going for the Corsair, Antec etc SPMS which are for about 3k, 4k etc. But we get an SMPS with the cabinet for just Rs. 400 - 500. So whats so different between these smps and the 3k-4k SMPSes? Even the wattage is comparable.

I'm buying an assembled PC with these components that i have selected:
Will the SMPS that comes with the cabinet (IBall) be able to support that configuration? What should be its wattage for this config? (And how do u calculate it!?)
Also please tell if this configuration is good for mediocre gaming and video conversions.

Component.................Specs..................................Price
CPU.......................Intel C2D 3.0Ghz E8400.............8600
Mobo.....................Intel DG31PR...........................3450
HDD.......................250 GB Serial ATA Seagate........2325
RAM ..... ...............1GB 800 Transcend x 2..............950x2
GFX Card................nVIDIA 512MB 8600GT..............3900
Cabinet..................I box (includes SMPS)...............1300
UPS.......................Champion...............................(have already)
Monitor..................17” TFT monitor LG..................8150
TV Tuner card.........Intex/PixelView.......................~1100
Speakers................Creative Inspire 2.1 ................1750
Firewire card......................................................~300
DVD Writer.........................................................1100

The UPS i have may be of 600VA. Its rating isnt written anywhere but its Model No is written as UPS-600P

hey y u r choosing intel DG31pr mobo its use less -----------> go for msi,asus etc

then in future u ll have to change the mobo

acewin

Point Blanc
MSI ASUS are not chipset, I said DG31 chipset not Intel DG31PR mobo, that mobo is real rubbish.

Do not consider prices from ITDEPOT they good for nothing, check ITWares

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Go For This Config

Processor : Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz - Rs 8600
MotherBoard : MSI P45 Neo - Rs 5900
RAM : Transcend 2 X 1GB DDR2 800MHz - 875*2
HDD : Seagate 250 GB - Rs 2300
GFX Card : Palit 8600GT - Rs 3700
Cabinet : Your Choice
Monitor : DELL 17'' SE178WFP - Rs 8650
TV Tuner card : Intex/PixelView - Rs 1100
Speakers : Altec Lansing 2.1 - 1125

Total 34425/-

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
bro the default PSU will barely survive the config..... so its better tht u go for a Corsair VX450 costin around 3k-3.2k ..... this PSU will later on also help u in upgrading to a HD4850 .... these PSU's are expensive because they have very high efficiency rating like around 80%+ .... whereas the normal PSU's have a efficiency of barely 50-60% and i mean if u have a gud one ....

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Ok so i'm changing 2 things and have new doubts about them - motherboard and RAM.

Motherboard:
----------------
I'm trying to decide between MSI P43 Neo-F, MSI P45 Neo-F and MSI P35 Neo Combo-F.
The P45 and P43 have PCI-E x16 v2.0 and P35 doesnt have v2.0
But the P35 has support for DDR3 RAM also in addition to DDR2 while P45 and P43 dont have it.
The Abit IP35A neither has PCI-E v2.0 nor DDR3 RAM support plus its costlier that MSI P35 Neo-F so i'm not thinking of it.

What do u recommend i should go with? Is v2.0 PCI-E better for future upgradability or DDR3 RAM support better? Also does 'PCI-E v2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0' mean PCI-E 1.0 gfx cards will work in a PCI-E 2.0 slot?

links:
MSI P35 Neo Combo-F *www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P35_Neo_Combo-F&class=mb
MSI P43 Neo-F *global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1484
MSI P45 Neo-F *www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P45_Neo-F&class=mb

RAM:
-----
Will a single 2gb stick work instead of two 1 gb sticks? Coz that will be better to upgrade later.

imgame2

Padawan
What do u recommend i should go with? Is v2.0 PCI-E better for future upgradability or DDR3 RAM support better? Also does 'PCI-E v2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0' mean PCI-E 1.0 gfx cards will work in a PCI-E 2.0 slot?

get a MSI P45 neo @6k...don't worry about DDR3 right its very costly right now and those boards with support or for both DDR2 and DDR3 gives various problems ..they are not as stable as other boards so i wouldn't suggest u that ..

DDR3 will do more good to nehalem then present chipset and processors ..so go forPCI 2.0 it will give u about 5~7% improvemnet in present day games and perhaps more in future games as and when they use the bandwidth providied by PCIex 2.0

right now all the gfx card u get are PCiex 2.0 and works fine with PCIev1 or 1.1 ..without any issue..

and yes a PCIe 1.0 card (if u are lucky enough to find one ) will work on PCIe 2.0

RAM:
Will a single 2gb stick work instead of two 1 gb sticks? Coz that will be better to upgrade later.

that will be good idea IMO ..and yes it will work fine present day prices 2GB is the way to go ...

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
After considering market availability, i decided to go with Intel DG35EC (Rs 4800). So I downloaded its manual. And then i got to know that it doesnt have serial port & parallel port. I checked DP35DP, DG33FB and even DG31PR - none of them have a serial port and a parallel port. the DP35DP doesnt even have a VGA (dsub 15 pin) port to connect a monitor.
(Though serial and parallel ports are outdate for computer peripherals, I need them to program microcontrollers)
Most boards provide a serial header on the board instead of the port directly. How can I use it to add a serial port?

The MSI P45/p43 neo-f has serial port and parallel port but they dont have a VGA port.
So how do i connect a monitor? Do i connect it to the discreet graphics card then?
But all the 17" LCD monitors i have seen need a VGA port while the 8600GT cards i have seen provide a DVI port.

@comp@ddict
I'll give them a try but i believe chances of getting them are very thin. Out of 4-5 shops i enquired, only 1 knew about mobos other than intel.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Okie, well if u're getting a gfx card, then it's sure gonna hav the feaures u're lukin for, so don't be mobo dependent, search for d rite gfx card

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Suppose by mobo has a VGA port and my graphics card also has it and my LCD monitor connects thru VGA. And suppose a game's video settings gives me an option to select whether to use onboard graphics or the discreet graphics card. Then if i select the discreet graphics card option, do i have to plug in my monitor to the card's VGA port? and also vice-versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom