SMPS for desktop pc which has integrated gpu and 4tb hdd but no graphics card.

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a system with Intel i3 10th gen processor and Asus prime H 510 me motherboard with gigabyte 256 GB SSD nvme but I don't have any separate graphics card. Today I have ordered Seagate 4 tb internal harddisk. I am searching for a SMPS which supply proper power.

At present I am using frontech 600 watts SMPS and when I connect my old one tb internal harddisk I can't copy files from SSD nvme to 1 tb due to shortage of power supply. For extra memory space I have ordered 4 tb internal harddisk Seagate barracuda compute.

When I am using hdd I am getting some unusual errors and even my windows explorer is taking lots of time to load files from a folder.

Due to the above issues I am searching for a affordable SMPS according to my needs.

As I am not using a graphics card I think that 800 watts SMPS is enough for me and found frontech 800 watts psu and it's spec page is as follows

*frontechonline.com/products/ps-0006-800watt/

Many of you may prefer crossafair etc., but I am not going to use my pc for high end games and even I am not using graphics card. My requirement is I want to copy files from SSD nvme to 4 tb internal harddisk Seagate.

Please try to suggest if I use this SMPS whether there will be no damages to my pc components or not. If it's not recommended to use 800 watts SMPS try to suggest any affordable low cost SMPS.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It doesn't look like the issue is with your PSU, HDD doesn't require loads of current be it 1TB or 4TB. Are you sure your PSU/cable is faulty?

You don't need 800w PSU, 450w should suffice. If you gonna get a new one, better get a bronze certified one like Corsair CV450.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
At present I have two hdds one is Seagate barracuda compute 1 tb internal harddisk and another is Seagate barracuda compute 2 tb internal harddisk. I have tried to copy files to and from these two but failed.

I think that the main reason is no sufficient power supply to hdds.

Someone from tech enclave suggested to use crossafair. They said using low quality SMPS may damage particularly hdds.

Due to their suggestions I thought to buy a new 800 watts SMPS.

Another issue is I run my pc at 80 percent cpu load and I think running pc at 80 percent load require 800 watts SMPS.

If you think my belief is wrong try to suggest what's correct.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, you don't need 800w. If someone is trying to sell you one and say you need it, then he is trying to fool you.
My guess would be your rig would consume less than 300w even @ peak load.

Since you're just "thinking",
  • Run chkdsk for errors
  • Download HDD test utility and run and see if there is any issue with your HDD.
  • Try live linux and see if the issue still persist in live

If and when you found it's the PSU, get Corsair CV450.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Can I use my old 600 watts SMPS as it is.

Are frontech brand SMPS are faulty and using those do damage pc components.

Even a poor efficiency 600W PSU should handle your PC. Not sure if your issue stems from PSU or not. Maybe a faulty HDD? OS issue?

For new PSU, Corsair CV550 will suffice. My gaming PC while gaming consumes under 400W. So PC components are not as inefficient as you might think.

Can I use my old 600 watts SMPS as it is.

Are frontech brand SMPS are faulty and using those do damage pc components.

Cheap PSUs like that can go kaput & potentially damage components, hence the reason why people recommend bigger brands with high quality PSU.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Actually the error is not while copying from SSD to hdd but in windows 11 I have tried robocopy to move all MP3 files from one drive (E:\source) to another drive (F:\destination). Here both E and F drives are present in the same 2 tb internal harddisk. After some time copy failed I mean struck.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Can you refer any psu which costs below 2000 rupees and which can supply sufficient power to all pc components.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi thanks for your suggestions and I will try crosair 450 which is sufficient to my needs and which supplies sufficient power to all my pc components.

Actually the error is not while copying from SSD to hdd but in windows 11 I have tried robocopy to move all MP3 files from one drive (E:\source) to another drive (F:\destination). Here both E and F drives are present in the same 2 tb internal harddisk. After some time copy failed I mean struck.

IMO try to do a clean reinstall & see if the problem disappears.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Ok I am going to buy a new psu because using faulty psu can lead to failure of other pc components.

I have calculated the total watts for my needs using online tools such as pc watts calculator and interestingly found I need only 270 watts.

My question is which is best and affordable. Try to suggest any other brands you know than crosair.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I have brought new Seagate barracuda 4 tb internal hard disc.

Can I connect it to my system which has old frontech 600 watts SMPS.

I mean whether it works properly or not.

I am thinking that the old frontech SMPS don't supply sufficient power.

At present I will use this SMPS and after four days I am going to replace it with Corsair 450 watts.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
If it is just 4 days then I would recommend to not take risk. Use your new HDD when you have installed your Corsair 450W PSU.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi at present I have contacted my new Seagate barracuda 4 tb internal hard disc to my system and I am just copying files from my old 2 tb internal hard disc to 4 tb internal hard disc.

I am giving gap between copies as the hard discs temperature may get cooled.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I have brought new Corsair cv 450 watts psu and it's running smoothly and everything especially segate hard discs are working fine.

Thanks for your suggestion to not to buy 800 watts SMPS and also referring Corsair 450 watts.

Top Bottom