Small Compact Phone in India under 18k

jakehitman

Broken In
Hi,
I was looking for Compact phones and can't seem to find any recent compact phones from Sony released in India.
  • Can anyone let me know some reliable websites where I can purchase Sony X Compact?
  • What are the other options in India for specs as below:
    • 5" or lesser screen size
    • Preferably AMOLED
    • Good battery life and camera (I don't do gaming on phone)

OP
J

jakehitman

Broken In
The iPhone SE is a possible alternative to consider. It is now available at around 18-19k.

Arun
Yeah , it is but it has been almost two years since it was launched and there are already rumors of iphone se 2 (though with a considerable higher screen size). That would be my last resort.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Zenfone 3 32GB
Asus Zenfone 3 (Black, 32 GB) Online at Best Price with Great Offers Only On Flipkart.com

If AMOLED is must then
Samsung Galaxy A5-2017 (Gold Sand, 32 GB) Online at Best Price with Great Offers Only On Flipkart.com

Last edited:
OP
J

jakehitman

Broken In
Zenfone 3 32GB
Asus Zenfone 3 (Black, 32 GB) Online at Best Price with Great Offers Only On Flipkart.com

If AMOLED is must then
Samsung Galaxy A5-2017 (Gold Sand, 32 GB) Online at Best Price with Great Offers Only On Flipkart.com
Any idea on which of those two have a better camera?
The battery endurance for A5 is better (on review sites)

Compact phones are getting rare nowadays. Most people prefer big screen, so companies have almost completely abandoned compact segment. I would suggest you take a look at upcoming Honor 9 Lite & Honor 8 (HTC 10 Lifestyle too maybe).

I'd say look for phones with width of 70mm or less. Such phones can be used with single hand. Moto X4 & G5 Plus have bad screen to body ratio. Lenovo Z2 Plus is a good compact phone for 10k. You can also have a look at refurbished or imported Samsung Galaxy S7 at ebay.

I think Sony X Compact was never released in India, nor XZ1 Compact. Even if they were released it would have been overpriced making it a bad value for money option like iPhones. I find entire Sony lineup not so good. Their flagships still have outdated big bezels.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Xperia XA2 has been announced with 5.2 inch screen and 75% screen to body ratio and it should launch sometime next month, it has great specs and should retail around 22k.

Sent from my Redmi 5A using Tapatalk

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Xperia XA2 has been announced with 5.2 inch screen and 75% screen to body ratio and it should launch sometime next month, it has great specs and should retail around 22k.

Typical Sony overpricing as expected? Would've been a good alternative to Mi A1 or G5s+ for 13-15k.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Typical Sony overpricing as expected? Would've been a good alternative to Mi A1 or G5s+ for 13-15k.
Yeah its a little overpriced but it has ds630 and a big 3300mah battery and android oreo with treble support. Its competition is Moto X4 which is in the same price range.

It's pretty heavy for a 5.2" phone at 171g. Also just 3GB RAM when everyone else are offering 4GB RAM at that price (20k). I personally think Sony will price it at 25k or so.

OP
J

jakehitman

Broken In
They just should have launched X-compact in India (when it was launched in other countries)
@Minion : Thanks for the info on the phones. I guess A5 is better considering day to day usability, better screen (viewing angle and contrast ratio) and battery life.
But on inquiring the Samsung Smart Phone outlets they said it was being phased out, something to do with infinity display coming to the A series.
Still I would be on look-out if the black color variant comes up on the online store within my budget.

OP
J

jakehitman

Broken In
Compact phones are getting rare nowadays. Most people prefer big screen, so companies have almost completely abandoned compact segment. I would suggest you take a look at upcoming Honor 9 Lite & Honor 8 (HTC 10 Lifestyle too maybe).

I'd say look for phones with width of 70mm or less. Such phones can be used with single hand. Moto X4 & G5 Plus have bad screen to body ratio. Lenovo Z2 Plus is a good compact phone for 10k. You can also have a look at refurbished or imported Samsung Galaxy S7 at ebay.

I think Sony X Compact was never released in India, nor XZ1 Compact. Even if they were released it would have been overpriced making it a bad value for money option like iPhones. I find entire Sony lineup not so good. Their flagships still have outdated big bezels.
Honor phone are good on specifications, but why can't they go with minimalist branding. I checked the Huwaei 9i and it was good sturdy metallic phone, but don't have any experience with that brand so decided not to go with it. Any reviews with long term use?

Honor phone are good on specifications, but why can't they go with minimalist branding. I checked the Huwaei 9i and it was good sturdy metallic phone, but don't have any experience with that brand so decided not to go with it. Any reviews with long term use?
There's a Honor 4X in my family which is 2.5+ years old now & still running good. It was reset to factory settings 6 months ago just because it went from my mother to grandmother. The slowing down of EMUI is minimal I'd say. For normal usage it was still smooth enough when I used it before resetting. It had been subjected to several drops with case & screen protector, but no damage to phone yet.

Honor is owned by Huawei, in case you didn't know, which is a much bigger & older company than Xiaomi, Oneplus, etc. I'd say Huawei can be placed in same league as Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. Honor is their lineup of phones which are sold online, thus they provide better specs for the money than Samsung, LG, etc.

They just should have launched X-compact in India (when it was launched in other countries)
@Minion : Thanks for the info on the phones. I guess A5 is better considering day to day usability, better screen (viewing angle and contrast ratio) and battery life.
But on inquiring the Samsung Smart Phone outlets they said it was being phased out, something to do with infinity display coming to the A series.
Still I would be on look-out if the black color variant comes up on the online store within my budget.
I was fully satisfied with my Z3C which still runs great except for touch screen issues on left side of screen (it is 2.5 years old). But I saw Sony phones starting to become overpriced. Also currently they are behind the major flagships, I'd say their flagship is not worth the price they sell it for as they don't have one of the best display or camera or design (big bezels).

I want compact phones like you do, but due to lack of options had to end up with S8. I'd have personally preferred if they had put a 5.5" display maintaining same screen to body ratio. I feel it is still too big for comfortable one hand usage.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Chroma has it in stock new 2018 model will be probably priced around 30k
Samsung A5 (2017) (Black, 32GB) - Price, Specifications & Features
If you have chroma in your locality you can visit them.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Yea A5 will be slowly phased out soon but that doesn't mean it isn't worth buying. Its a damn good phone for 18k.
Also the A8 will be atleast above 25k so no point getting that overpriced phone.
Honor 9 Lite is about to be launched in India at a price of 11k which is honestly quite amazing. I love the looks and design of Honor phones and 9 Lite has pretty decent specs for the price.
As for Xperia XA2 yeah it will probably be close to 25k which isn't worth it at the moment.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Yea A5 will be slowly phased out soon but that doesn't mean it isn't worth buying. Its a damn good phone for 18k.
Also the A8 will be atleast above 25k so no point getting that overpriced phone.
Honor 9 Lite is about to be launched in India at a price of 11k which is honestly quite amazing. I love the looks and design of Honor phones and 9 Lite has pretty decent specs for the price.
As for Xperia XA2 yeah it will probably be close to 25k which isn't worth it at the moment.

Honor 9i lite has an average camera other than that it's a good phone.

Top Bottom