1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Slow WLAN speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by rohan, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohan

rohan New Member

I have a desktop [a Compaq SR1732IL] and a laptop [Studio 1555]. I have an ADSL2+ Wi-Fi router (the one I got wit Airtel), which is my gateway to the internet.

My desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet. I don't use DHCP and my IP settings are:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2 [laptop] ; 192.168.1.5 [desktop]
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I've networked my laptop and desktop by putting them under the same workgroup. But when I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop, the file transfers happen at around 1.76 MB/s. I was given to understand that Wi-Fi has transfer speeds of 54 MB/s. Why are my transfers almost 40 times as slow?

A few more specs:

Desktop: Windows XP MCE x86 ; Inbuilt ethernet controller [Realtek]
    Laptop: Windows Vista x64 ; Intel 5100 Wi-Fi link

any help would be appreciated

2. dIgItaL_BrAt

dIgItaL_BrAt New Member

firstly it's 54 Mbps (notice the lowercase b)...and ur throughput of about 1.76 MBPS translates roughly to about to 13 Mbit/s wich is a decent enough transfer rate since under ideal conditions, a 54 Mbit/s wireless connection will give a
    maximum of about 25 Mbit/s throughput.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.