SLI. Is nVIDIA digging its own grave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaurav_018

Broken In
consider this

now i've noticed that the pci-express is very expensive on a mobo.so i assume a mobo with two will even more expensive. so many manufacturers won't have two on a simgle mobo. but since nvida also makes mobos and graphically thay perform really really good. they can slowly start standising their mobos with two pic-express slots. after that they only need to buy via processor tech or develop their own and

we'll have (NVIDA INSIDE).

OP
A

anidex

Broken In
Consider this :)lol:) :-

A cool nVIDIA nForce motherboard with 2 PCI-E slots running 2 NV50s at fp-16 and all nVIDIA optimizations getting half the fps as a rusty old motherboard with one AGP slot running the R520 at fp-32 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:! I'd love to see the look on Jen-Hsun Huang's face :lol:!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Ahem.......Anidex no fanboyism plz......lets get back on track !

Here's an article frm the inquirer

*theinquirer.net/?article=18324

Naga

Broken In
I'm a bit late, but didn't Alienware come up with this SLI? As far as I know, Alienware PCs developed this tech and they already ship models with this tech. Coming back to the topic, If I had the moolah, I would go for it...."If".In theory, SLI will give me more bang than regular advances in graphic tech can.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Nah.....3dfx was the one who pioneered it......was going to b incorporated into the Voodoo cards , but then Nvidia took over 3Dfx. I have posted a pic of the Voodoo 5 in SLI mode @ TA i think. Btw dude u seem busy these days.....whats up ?

allajunaki

Journeyman
Well all fine except for the fact that SLI will be present in NV50's?
Now 2 NV50's will be definatley faster than 2 6800's so People who are in need of ultimate performance will opt for Dual NV50 Solution...!

SLI is a new feature from nvidia... So basically they will try include in their new Chipsets too...

Now consider this scenario, U bought the insanley powerful 6800 and tomorrow doom4 (or some new game) makes sure that ur card can only pump out 15fps, Now what do you do if aint got the cash for shiny new NV50?, u goto shop and buy another 6800, plug in and SLI them and presto... 15->25... Now u can play doom4 without much of compromise.... Cheap solution to a Expensive problem....

Also its intresting to note that ATI was the first come with concept of Parrellel processing using mutiple GPU's... Radeons can can do this in some of the high end workstation cards ( If im not mistaken..)

funkymonkey

Journeyman
hum guys....... Look.
SLI is IMHO a good technology.
A person get a 6800GT PCI-e today on sli motherboard.
He can use this for a year and get 1 more 6800GT after 1 year. At that time 6800GT PCI-e will be a lot cheaper than now and he will have a very good system which will be goodenought o play intensive games of that times without spending too much money on current top gen card.
People buying new pc will buy the newer single card and be happy.
Enthusiast will always love more.

blade_runner said:
Yup for the mainstream having two 6600GT's running in SLI mode cud be a attractive option !! ;)

Btw nemesis have you signed up @ Tech-Arena ?

gxsaurav said:
SLI is just a marketing Hype, it's won't make waves in market due to it's high cost, high noise & heat issue, only a few enthusiast will buy it, but as with other high end product of NVIDIA & ATI, this will add a lot to the reputation of NVIDIA

Remembar, High end card only cointribute a little to the market share, it's the mid range which rocks the market, 2 6600GT in SLI can beat 1.5 6800GT easily

Who told you 2 6600Gts in SLI mode is a good options? Its really not. Cost of 2 6600Gts is more than 1 6800GT. And 6600gt SLI does not perform as good as single 6800GT. Single 6800Gt will, oh no wait it is beating 2 6600Gts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom