Should I upgrade RAM or get a new config?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Not really requesting a new config, I might later if I think it's worth it, but I just wanted to check whether I should upgrade all components of my PC or just the RAM in the current market.

My config is AMD Ryzen 3700x, Asus TUF X570 and Gskill RipjawsV 2x8 GB DDR4 RAM. I need more RAM because I need to do some prototyping work for some projects in my spare time (about 64 GB perhaps). But I was thinking that if I was going to upgrade, perhaps I could splurge more and upgrade everything (CPU, MOBO and RAM, that is) for some future proofing. So wanted to check with you guys how are the current gen Ryzen ecosystem and whether it's worth upgrading to it.

Looking for cost, energy efficiency and software support factors mostly.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I can't say about Ryzen, but if RAM is the bottleneck in your system, you should better invest in more RAM.
You seem to be on a 5 yr old CPU (?). I don't think that should be a major bottleneck.

Let others post about Ryzen.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My issue with getting a new CPU is that I will also have to upgrade the motherboard and RAM since new 7xxx series chips only support DDR5 memory.

Not really requesting a new config, I might later if I think it's worth it, but I just wanted to check whether I should upgrade all components of my PC or just the RAM in the current market.

My config is AMD Ryzen 3700x, Asus TUF X570 and Gskill RipjawsV 2x8 GB DDR4 RAM. I need more RAM because I need to do some prototyping work for some projects in my spare time (about 64 GB perhaps). But I was thinking that if I was going to upgrade, perhaps I could splurge more and upgrade everything (CPU, MOBO and RAM, that is) for some future proofing. So wanted to check with you guys how are the current gen Ryzen ecosystem and whether it's worth upgrading to it.

Looking for cost, energy efficiency and software support factors mostly.
5950X + DDR4 RAM is still great for productivity while being efficient, unlike Intel CPUs.

To outperform a 5950X, you need 7900X.
mdcomputers.in/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64gb-ddr4-3600mhz-black-cmk64gx4m2d3600c18.html

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It seems like the 7900X is cheaper than 5950X on MD.

I am gravitating a bit to upgrading everything since I feel like just upgrading the CPU/RAM will not add much more life to the setup than a full upgrade. A bit concerned about burning a larger hole in my pocket though.

mdcomputers.in/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64gb-ddr4-3600mhz-black-cmk64gx4m2d3600c18.html
Why not 4x16 GB for dual channel memory?

It seems like the 7900X is cheaper than 5950X on MD.

I am gravitating a bit to upgrading everything since I feel like just upgrading the CPU/RAM will not add much more life to the setup than a full upgrade. A bit concerned about burning a larger hole in my pocket though.

Why not 4x16 GB for dual channel memory?
2x 32GB is dual channel. Consumer products don't have quad channel support for which 4 sticks are needed, present in HEDT & servers.

2x32GB leaves room for upgrade to 128GB, if needed. I don't think 5950X will feel like a slouch anytime soon.

5950X & 7900X cost similar right now, RAM costs are close as well. So decide if you want to spend additional 20k for a mobo or can spend that amount. DDR4 vs DDR5 is not much different for productivity performance. Single core performance is better for sure & can potentially get 7950X if you have the money. With new rig, you get option to upgrade in future, but again you may not need it anytime soon, like in next 4-5 years when next platform from AMD should be out, maybe 2 more platforms from Intel.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I would be vary of buying DDR4 RAM, because you won't be able to carry it forward to AM5. But apparently older AMD don't support DDR5. In my opinion, I'd make the AM5 upgrade now, instead of buying more RAM now, and then more RAM again in a few years because you can't reuse DDR4.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
You can go for a 16GBx2 setup. how many slots does the motherboard have? I am on 24GB RAM on my own, and system has 2 more slots here

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
2x 32GB is dual channel. Consumer products don't have quad channel support for which 4 sticks are needed, present in HEDT & servers.

2x32GB leaves room for upgrade to 128GB, if needed. I don't think 5950X will feel like a slouch anytime soon.

5950X & 7900X cost similar right now, RAM costs are close as well. So decide if you want to spend additional 20k for a mobo or can spend that amount. DDR4 vs DDR5 is not much different for productivity performance. Single core performance is better for sure & can potentially get 7950X if you have the money. With new rig, you get option to upgrade in future, but again you may not need it anytime soon, like in next 4-5 years when next platform from AMD should be out, maybe 2 more platforms from Intel.
Which good ATX x670 board is at 20k?

Which good ATX x670 board is at 20k?
Good B650 costs like 17-18k, starts at 14k or so. So obviously X670 is expensive, cheapest one is 24k. Just get Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX or something similar under 20k, will suffice. Check Hardware Unboxed's VRM testings.

You get mainly an additional M.2 slot vs its B650 variant (4 vs 3):
www.vedantcomputers.com/pc-components/motherboard/gigabyte-x670-gaming-x-ax-v2-motherboard?limit=100

Top Bottom