Should I be worried?

Kaltrops

In the zone
So people. I have mold inside my PC cabinet. Not a lot. Just on sata cables and a little here and there. My GPU was saved because I removed and packed it up in it's box and locked it in a cupboard in another room.

The PC was sitting there for three months, so should I leave it and just start using the pc again and hope the heat kills it?

Thanks

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Presence of mold means heavy humidity. You should check for moisture on critical components before you start up your PC.

I don't think it would be a huge issue if you turned it on right away, but better be safe than sorry.

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
Presence of mold means heavy humidity. You should check for moisture on critical components before you start up your PC.

I don't think it would be a huge issue if you turned it on right away, but better be safe than sorry.

Yeah I had a concealed bathroom pipe leak into the wall, and on the other side of that wall is my bedroom. So when I got back into the country and unlocked my door, that wall was full of mold and that spread throughout the room.

I fixed the leak and used a mold remover (plus bleach to be safe) to clean the cupboard out. I opened the side panel and aired out the PC in another room so there shouldn't really be any moisture per se.

Say I fire up the PC and it runs smoothly, should I leave it at that?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If its running fine then it should not be a problem I guess.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You could also put a few bags of silica gel inside your case to absorb the moisture.

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
You could also put a few bags of silica gel inside your case to absorb the moisture.

Okay, so I fired it up and everything is normal. No gaming, though. GPU is still in it's box.

I was thinking about silica gel bags but can I keep them in there whilst the PC is running or is this simply for immediate moisture removal?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If any residue is left in the cabinet clean it using alchohol and re-assemble your components and place some silica gel packets in the cabinet.

Everybody needs to clean their PC cabinets for every 3 months by removing all dust accumulated in the cabinet.

Dust is the biggest reason for performance related problems in PC management.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Top Bottom