Sharing PPPoE connection

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
@debarshi - how is the Razorbee Smart TV device? Can you give me brief review?

Yes, with pleasure.

I have been using Razorbee for a year now, and simply put, its awesome.
Its the perfect choice for people with a LCD TV but without the smartness of the newer generations. And since I got my samsung smart tv, its not being into use any more, but before that, not a day would go by when I was not using it. As far as the specs go,
its Android with a smart and customized UI for TV
Has got a smart QWERTY keyboard remote with track pad, that's great to use, especially for commenting on Facebook.
I could play all videos using Moboplayer. No lags.
Has an inbuilt 2 GB memory and space for SD card.
It supports Wifi and DLNA connectivity as well.
Two usb ports at the back, a composite video out(coupled with audio) and a VGA out with audio out, a mic-in for voice chatting, and standard ethernet port for internet.
It supports usb dongles, all kinds of pen drives and other usb devices like usb keyboards. I haven't tried a webcam yet.
Youtube and web-browsing is a great experience, expecially on LCD screens
If you need an Android device for your TV to make it smart, you shouldn't look further.
I am not using it right now, so I dont know about the recent updates but AriemTech has done a good job customizing the Android OS for TV

well i am a noob in this kind of networking stuff
i am alliance user (like page 2 arka1991)
well everything was fine, when one day lightning/thunder blew up my lan port

i am now using a lan card on pci slot and BSNL is working with it but alliance is not, i think its maybe cause of MAC ID lock (not sure)
the alliance BB is only workin on 1 laptop and not workin on my pc and other 2 laptops

i have tried changing network address of PC lan card by copying the mac id of the laptop the Alliance BB is working using ipconfig /all; but it doesnt work. =(

i have netgear n150 wifi router and i plan to use it and use Alliance BB through it .... bsnl has very bad ping, cant pvp in wow ;(

plz help :3

Did you use Alliance and BSNL on the same pc whose LAN burnt out? If so, the how is the connection working on your laptop if mac-id is locked?

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Can anyone please confirm if Alliance Broadband support PPPoE or not ?
I need a Router(WiFi not required) so that I can download Torrent while PC OFF.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please and please. Give full details on how you connect and of your current scenario. You can't get answers until you ask a question properly.

From what I know, Alliance uses web based login. May be an app, but that again is a web based login. Just like Reliance Broadband does.

Everything will work after the fact that you'll have to log-in into the portal from one device to start the Internet. Logging in from any device would do. Internet/WAN will be routed.

You could get a router which supports dd-wrt , then flash dd-wrt firmware and use a Python script to automate the process.

Steps
----------------
1) Read my tutorial on the first page. Clone MAC is important. All these cable wallahs tie your connection to a particular MAC ID.
2) Connect your devices to the router. Let's say, Comp #1, Comp #2, Laptop #1 through Wifi and Mobile #1 through Wifi.
3) All devices get connected to the router (LAN).
4) Then when you will try to open a site on any device, you might get greeted with Alliance's log-in page. Or may be you might need to go manually. Just log-in and Internet will work on all devices.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Thanks for ur reply!
Allince use web based login just like Reliance Broadband.
Actually I want to know is it possible to connect met using Router ?
I mean like BSNL u just put ID & Pass in modem under PPPoE mode.
Whenever modem switch on net get connected automatically.
Actually I want to DL torrent when PC OFF.
Only Router & any storage(USB HDD or a flash pen drive) is on.
I want to same Electricity cos net speed is low 40kBps DL speed.
And running PC 24x7 is not a good idea.

BTW,is DD-WRT comes inbuilt with Router ?
Cos if I change firmware might loose warranty of the router ?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for ur reply!
Allince use web based login just like Reliance Broadband.
Actually I want to know is it possible to connect met using Router ?
I mean like BSNL u just put ID & Pass in modem under PPPoE mode.
Whenever modem switch on net get connected automatically.
Actually I want to DL torrent when PC OFF.
Only Router & any storage(USB HDD or a flash pen drive) is on.
I want to same Electricity cos net speed is low 40kBps DL speed.
And running PC 24x7 is not a good idea.

BTW,is DD-WRT comes inbuilt with Router ?
Cos if I change firmware might loose warranty of the router ?

I think there was another thread where someone had the exact same questions about Alliance.
DD-WRT (Tomato/OpenWRT etc) are custom firmware for your networking gear and they do not come inbuilt with the Router. They will void manufacturer warranty.

But unless you are really unlucky, you wont need that warranty. I have barely ever seen a router burn or blow up due to 24x7x365 usage. :p

Anyway, although in the other thread, someone said (I think Nipun or Nginx) that some cyberoam software is used to authenticate the user's credentials and
there is no support for PPPOE, I still think ico's method of flashing it and using a custom script, should work.

And yeah, you must use a router which can clone your MAC since I think Alliance binds the MAC to the user's credential/IP.
[In the other thread, someone also said, logging in to the router from any system will set the router's mac to the system's mac which I could not make sense of - dont think that ever happens]

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Well, neither did I want to buy that ****............ I had "by MISTAKE" informed my ISP that I wanted a router, and they were pestering me all the time. Even said "Your internet connection will not work with any other router". Guess they have a tie-up with D-Link or something

I'm now extremely happy with my ASUS

kranti

Broken In
I am having a cable broadband connection i.e.on PPPoE connection. I baught Linksys e1500N router and set everything as per the instruction in this thread. Al was working well for 10/15 days but recently router started dropping the connection very oftenly. If I disconnect and reconnect the WiFi connection from my PC it starts and after some time it drops the connection. If I put the cable directly into the LAN card it works perfectly. Dont know what is happening exactly. PL. guide.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Me think its a fault with your router, or you did some "chher khani" with your router's advanced settings. Either way, find another router, probably a friend's to check if its really your router's problem. (I am 99.9% sure it is) :wink:

kranti

Broken In
Me think its a fault with your router, or you did some "chher khani" with your router's advanced settings. Either way, find another router, probably a friend's to check if its really your router's problem. (I am 99.9% sure it is) :wink:
Will the router work properly if I reset it to factory default and configure again.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
There's no harm in trying.........
Are you implying that you DID try mess with the advanced settings :-D ....... just kiddin'

ron_devon

Broken In
First of all, ICO I have to salute you for creating such a awesome tut which is right down to the basics. Great job mate and you too Debarshi for doing the needful.

Even I'm one of those Alliance customers here in Kolkata, though the said ISP does provide some decent unlimited plans. They have the shittiest call center people and even worse engineers. They charge around 500 bucks to configure a wireless setup which in the end may turn out unsuccessful.

Couple of questions though, I have to put the IPs and DNS addresses during the configuration in the router setup, right? And the Wireless Network IP properties can detect the IPs automatically?? I plan to buy a Netgear WGR614 N-150 router. Any excerpts on that? I guess i wouldn't go past the vicinity of 15 meters from the router at any point of time. Although I would actually need to update to any custom firmware. But still could you tell me how do i go about it and what is the script i will have to use?

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Well, first, my ISP charges me Rs 200 for configuring the router (that means just to input the damn ID, Password, and Mac ID clone -.-)
Now, I had a static IP once 3 years ago, before my ISP switched to a dynamic IP system. How do you login to net? Is it by logging in a specific website (like 24online) or by a PPPoE connection? If you have a static IP, you can get all your network info from the pc you are working on. The router detects all of it, in automatic detection mode.....
And about range, it is Draft-N router, so it will be 150 Mbps, and you wont have to worry about network speed or range as your net speed is at max 2 Mbps I guess, so speed wont be a problem.
The WGR614 has good reviews.......... In most cases, normal users can do w/o installing custom firmware......... (Like I can do everything from media streaming to all my devices, to file sharing with my original firmware) but you can definitely install DD-Wrt or Tomato, but I dont know how much your ISP will be able to help you, with that...........

axis

Right off the assembly line
Please and please. Give full details on how you connect and of your current scenario. You can't get answers until you ask a question properly.

From what I know, Alliance uses web based login. May be an app, but that again is a web based login. Just like Reliance Broadband does.

Everything will work after the fact that you'll have to log-in into the portal from one device to start the Internet. Logging in from any device would do. Internet/WAN will be routed.

You could get a router which supports dd-wrt , then flash dd-wrt firmware and use a Python script to automate the process.

Steps
----------------
1) Read my tutorial on the first page. Clone MAC is important. All these cable wallahs tie your connection to a particular MAC ID.
2) Connect your devices to the router. Let's say, Comp #1, Comp #2, Laptop #1 through Wifi and Mobile #1 through Wifi.
3) All devices get connected to the router (LAN).
4) Then when you will try to open a site on any device, you might get greeted with Alliance's log-in page. Or may be you might need to go manually. Just log-in and Internet will work on all devices.

Do you have any experience with DD-WRT? which build would you recommend as most stable?

I am actually thinking of flashing my Asus RT-N13U with DD-WRT since my ISP uses 24online web login. Earlier, when I logged in with my Home PC, all my other devices(phones, tablet and Laptop) could directly access internet without any need of separate login. Only the Laptop would occasionally require separate login which was possible, the phones or tablet never had any issues as long as the Home PC was logged in. But recently this has changed, and I cannot use internet on any of my other devices while the PC is logged in or directly connect from my devices. So I was thinking of DD-WRT on the router and a autologin script to connect to 24online from the router itself.

Top Bottom