Sharing Cable internet connection over Wifi

Darude

Right off the assembly line
ISP- Ten2Ten
Connection type- Cable connection with Web Login
Router- TP-Link TD-W8968
Clients- Multiple laptops and Android devices

Earlier an Airtel Broadband connection was being shared over the LAN and WiFi without any problems as the PPPoE dialer was configured inside the router's firmware itself. Issue now is that the ISP has provided a Static IP which is being assigned to the wired LAN card of the Laptop and session is created by logging in on the ISP's web portal.
Placing the network setup in "Static IP" mode inside the router's config allowed to share the connection but once disconnected, none of the machines were able to login on the ISP's page as kept getting the message that "You cannot login from this machine".
IP assigned by the ISP isn't binded to a certain MAC address.
NAT is ON
The main connection cable is being connected to a LAN port which doubles as WAN port because the router is an ADSL modem and its ADSL port accepts only RJ-11 connections.
Please elucidate the proper config which allows the connection to be shared amongst the devices and also allows login from any device in case of a disconnect.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to use mac spoofing/cloning feature in modem to set your modem mac address same as the device from which you will login.W8968 has a differently coloured lan port labelled as EWAN port which you are supposed to use with cable broadband connection.

OP
D

Darude

I suspected that but going with that, won't it limit my option of ISP log in to just a single machine on the network or can multiple MAC addresses be spoofed by a single device?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you restarted the modem after setting spoofed mac address(preferably of a windows device like pc or laptop) before logging in from the same device?

OP
D

Darude

Yup, I did reboot the device after making the necessary changes and saving them. Will call up the Cable wallah guy and see if he can fix it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone is still interested i missed one thing.When using a laptop there are 2 mac addresses:1)ethernet/lan,2)wifi,you need to clone mac address of that adapter which you will use to login so if you clone ethernet mac address in wifi router but tried login through wifi from laptop then it won't work.

Top Bottom