Service charges during extended warranty.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
My videocon 40" tv has developed an issue. It is in extended warranty, but videocon is asking for service/visiting charges which are a high Rs. 800+ GST .
Their bahana is just their policy, to have service charges during extended warranty period.

I am in contact with flipkart, who do seem to want to help right now. But it may take time...

Has anyone encountered such issues ? Dare I ask if this is common..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure but even under normal warranty some companies charge for visit by technician(that is why dell specifically mentions "on site warranty" aka free visit by technician within their standard 1 year warranty). Better check your extended warranty T&Cs which you should have in some printed form/online pdf.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^ but visiting charges are there only in cases where warranty is off-site . I think.

Videocon is asking for BOTH VISTING and SERVICE charges !

visiting - 250
service - 800 + GST

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ but visiting charges are there only in cases where warranty is off-site . I think.

Videocon is asking for BOTH VISTING and SERVICE charges !

visiting - 250
service - 800 + GST
Some companies only include parts replacement in their extended warranty but vising & service charges are still there.e.g.after spending 1050(250+800) if technician declares that tv panel needs to be changed then that will be free of cost.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Small update: Talked to flipkart again. Last time there was some confusion. Now they have are contacting videocon. Flipkart told me 2 things.. Videocon doesn't know about the 4 years extended warranty. huh! . I also asked them specifically about service charges during extended warranty. Flipkart told me there should NOT be service charges during extended warranty period.

I am not too hopeful, but lets see..

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Small update: Talked to flipkart again. Last time there was some confusion. Now they have are contacting videocon. Flipkart told me 2 things.. Videocon doesn't know about the 4 years extended warranty. huh! . I also asked them specifically about service charges during extended warranty. Flipkart told me there should NOT be service charges during extended warranty period.

I am not too hopeful, but lets see..
Check who is actually giving the extended warranty . Many companies usually provide their own in-house extended warranty. I have seen Reliance Digital Stores doing this. Also Flipkart via their own company called Jeeves .

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Another update:
Flipkart called couple of days back. Videocon is saying that 4 years extended warranty requires that product registration had to be done within 30 days of purchase.

When I had bought this, I had called videocon to register the tv, but I hadn't receive a written confirmation of registration . So I had called them again asking if product is registered, and they told me 'not to worry'. End results is : me have no proof of registration.Interesting to note is that when I called service center, they never tried to know about registration. So videocon is obviously not keen.

My Props to Flipkart though. Process is slow, but flipkart is at least doing something here.

lets see how this plays.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,this is another point regarding extended warranty that many companies hide in their "fine print". There is a certain time limit under which you need to register for extended warranty & you will definitely get some form of written proof(either hard copy or pdf) to support this. I thought you already did this.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Resolved probably.
Flipkart would give a voucher on service bill (about 1000). woah! And videocon will give parts warranty on bill.
Totally impressed by flipkart here. Really went out of their way here to help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just goes on to show that "luck" is also a big factor when getting support from FK/amazon as many ppl are not happy with after sales support of one or the other of these two.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Update: argh :( .
Videocon can't change/fix panel. Only replace TV which will cost 50% of an inflated cost . Saying they have 43" tv for 38k with them. So will have to pay 19000 to get that TV. Which is pretty much the cost of new one on flipkart. Back to square thenga .

Talked to flipkart again, asked if they can help. They are again proving very understanding and will take it up with videocon. I must say that flipkart executives are very professional here. They listen and make an attempt to understand and stay pretty calm, even with my mom shouting. Had to tell my mom that flipkart does not really have much liability here.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Update: argh :( .
Videocon can't change/fix panel. Only replace TV which will cost 50% of an inflated cost . Saying they have 43" tv for 38k with them. So will have to pay 19000 to get that TV. Which is pretty much the cost of new one on flipkart. Back to square thenga .

Talked to flipkart again, asked if they can help. They are again proving very understanding and will take it up with videocon. I must say that flipkart executives are very professional here. They listen and make an attempt to understand and stay pretty calm, even with my mom shouting. Had to tell my mom that flipkart does not really have much liability here.

Sorry to hear that brother. Videocon is going downhill, don't expect much from them. Get it repaired from some outside shop, tell your mother that they fixed it for free.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Very Interesting Update:
Flipkart contacted the seller 'WSretail', who have approved a refund!! The refund amount is unknown as of now, but this is pretty great considering how we had resigned to getting 0. Thankfully had not rushed in to sending it for repair.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Very Interesting Update:
Flipkart contacted the seller 'WSretail', who have approved a refund!! The refund amount is unknown as of now, but this is pretty great considering how we had resigned to getting 0. Thankfully had not rushed in to sending it for repair.
When did you purchase the same?

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
After waiting for about 50 days! Flipkart wants written proof that videocon is asking for payment. No refund till then! SO much time they have wasted. Kept stalling for over 20 phone calls about "can't refund due to technical error" , assured and assured that "refund is approved/finalized" . Videocon doesn't even have a website, not much chance of written proof from videocon..
Flipkart ki dash ki dash!

Top Bottom