Serious Linux Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitar

Journeyman
I have WinXP on C drive and D,E,F are Windows partitions.All are NTFS partitions
Linux FC4 is on G with ext3 partition and grub is installed on G partition.I have a SATA cable harddisk and thus couldnt install FC4 directly,but had to use check media option and then do it
Everytime i boot into Linux and then when i restart something goes wrong
Either
1)LAN card doesnt work
2)Graphics card doesnt work
>I had not installed any drivers explicitly in Linux for the above two.But after some restarts >they become ok
3)It doesnt Boot,i get Loading Grub Stage 2 error and the screen remains stuck
>I reinstall the grub using FC4 cd and then proceed
4)I get Grub Error 1.5 and nothing happens,even if i reinstall the grub
>then i use the WinXP cd and use fixboot and then am able to use windows but cant use >Linux and have to reinstall Linux
5)Since this Wednessday after the BIOS screen,the word GRUB comes on the screen and a continuous beeping sound
>A senior said that the MBR was gone and then he fixed it today

Is anyone else having SATA cable having the same problems?Or is it just me?What can be wrong?
Since the windows partitions were NTFS i installed the patch for NTFS.Do i have to unmount the windows partitions before rebooting?

Please help

praka123

left this forum longback
I used FC4,had some problem with clock applet becoming dead,removed FC4. :) regarding lan,sound ,graphik all worked in FC4 oh i got a 915GAV with seagate 80GB sata...a solution with ur grub problems is set grub manually in the /boot or ur Linux root partition.for that read info grub....
FYI mount the Lin aprtn with rescue cd, chroot and in shell type grub
grub>root (hd0,x)
grub>setup (hd0,x) where x is the partition holding Lin -1 ....
also edit /boot/grub/grub.conf or menu.lst and give the correct partition no.
I dont get wat ur saying about ntfs :shock: if u need option windows in grub menu
give this...
title Windows XP Service Pack 2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

LAN card doesnt work means is it detected....try ifconfig for ethx listed or ur loopback address correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom