Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
ATM I don't know of any review page I can point you to, but basically a Sempron 2400+ is an Athlon 2000+ but with an FSB of 333 instead of 266. They have the same cache memory and operate at the same clock speed, but whereas the Athlon XP 2000+ runs at 133x12.5 = 1666 MHz, the Sempron 2400+ runs at 166x10 = 1666 MHz.

Recently I ran a mini-test of my own, comparing the two processors with everything alse equal. The test was auto-routing some PCB designs of varying complexity. The result was a dead heat, i.e., they finished all the tests in exactly the same time.

Benchmarks scores may be different for different applications. The higher FSB speed of the Sempron may produce a slightly higher score for some apps.

theraven

Technomancer
i guess u mean to say its based on the thoroughbred core :p
that was the old sempron afaik !
the newer ones are based on the athlon XP core ( i think )

also the so called MOBILE semprons are based on the Dublin Core

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Yep, raven, I did mean the Athlon XP, not Athlon. That was a typo. You can see that I referred to it as an Athlon XP afterwards.

I forgot about the OP's request for suggestions about a compatible motherboard - I was in a hurry when I made my first post.

Most Athlon XP motherboards that can run at 333 FSB are compatible with Socket A Semprons. Examples are the Asus A7N8X series or my favourite Krypton C18G-400. However, early editions of such mobos will not correctly identify a Sempron as a Sempron because they were produced before Semprons were released. They will run the Sempron at the correct clock speed, but will identify it as an Athlon XP of equivalent clock speed.

This is mainly a cosmetic problem and performance does not suffer. The identification problem can be solved by flashing the BIOS or by buying from the later production runs where the BIOS is already updated from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom