Sempron Processor FSB setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi
Recently, I purchased a system with AMD Sempron 2200+ and ASUS motherboard. During bootup, I noticed that the processor was being recognized as AMD Athlon 900MHz. This seemed very low for the actual processor speed which I expected to be about 1200MHz.
I then ran CBID to check up the processor info. It said the processor was Athlon MP 900 MHz.
Totally confused, I called up the vendor and asked him about it. He came over and showed the chip which said "AMD Sempron". We tried changing the FSB setting on the motherboard (with the dipswitch) from 100 to 166 MHz but the BIOS still shows it as 100 MHz and wont let me change it. What can I do to get the processor running at 333MHz?

Thanks in advance
Arun

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
There is something wrong with the processor, it is definately NOT sempron. If it were, it would have shown that in the bios.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well metion ur Exact Mobo model....

4 ur information... AMD Sempron 2200+ should run @ 1.5GHz with 166Mhz FSB which is called 333bus at the main board.... try to set the multiple as 166x9....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Kalpik said:
There is something wrong with the processor, it is definately NOT sempron. If it were, it would have shown that in the bios.

lol... man i dont know much about OC... but DO know this that if the jumpers r not right... then BIOS will show deferent Procey....

lol...

kalpik

saurav_cheeta said:
Kalpik said:

lol... man i dont know much about OC... but DO know this that if the jumpers r not right... then BIOS will show deferent Procey....

lol...

Hmm... are u sure??? As far as i know, the processor name is read from the processor die itself and is not calculated from jumpers or FSB or clock speed! Well, maybe im wrong!

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. My Motherboard is A7V400-MX SE and as per the manual, it supports Socket A processors of Athlon XP/Sempron with Thoroughbred and Barton cores. The chipset is VIA KM400A with FSB support for 400/333/266/200 MHz.
Kalpik, u suggest that the processor is not Sempron... If so, is it possible that I have been supplied with a fake processor? As I mentioned, my vendor took the processor out and showed it to me. It was written in it as AMD Sempron. Then, if the processor was not Sempron, it would have to be some kind of fake, right? Does that happen. The vendor also mentioned that the same problem occured in a couple of other computers that he installed it also. So, is he getting and using fake processors (knowingly or unknowingly)?

Thanks in advance,
Arun

kalpik

Hmm.... its highly unlikely for duplicate or pirated processors to be in the market! The manufacturing process is so tedious and expensive, its not worth producing fakes. Where exactly was it mentioned sempron on the processor? It should be engraved on the die, not just "written".

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi
Well, I dont know whether it was engraved or written... It was in White, I remember that much, let me check it up sometime this weekend and let u know...
Considering that fake processors are unlikely, what is the problem. It cant be locked vs unlocked processors right? If my memory serves me right, that is for whether or not the processor can be overclocked or not, right?
Just now, I googled for "Athlon MP 900 MHz" and found this discussion
*forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t39428.html
Please send your comments on it. Also note that in my case, I am unable to get the FSB set to 166MHz on the board (DIP Switch changed, but BIOS doesnt change and it is locked). Is it possible to get a BIOS update which will unlock it?

Thanks in advance
Arun

kalpik

Yeah.. saw the forum link u gave. Maybe its a bios problem. Try updating to a new bios. But be forewarned, flashing the bios is a dangerous process! U could end up rendering your motherboard unoperational!

And no, the prob is not of locked processor. You are right, that only prevents overclocking.

This situation u r in is wierd! My last suggestion: flash ur bios. And yes, the board is of Asus??

kalpik

I dont think sempron has quiet n cool. Also for quiet n cool to work, the motherboard has to support it too. So i dont think quiet n cool is responsible for the prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom