Security Flaw in Android - lets hackers ‘take over’ and ‘control’ 99% of device

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Found this one, I think worthy enough to be

Mobile security company Bluebox said today that it recently discovered a vulnerability in Android that makes any Android device released in the last four years vulnerable to hackers who can read your data, get your passwords, and control any function of your phone, including sending texts, making phone calls, or turning on the camera.
That’s almost 900 million Android devices globally.

A Trojan application … has the ability to read arbitrary application data on the device (email, SMS messages, documents, etc.), retrieve all stored account & service passwords,” Bluebox CTO Jeff Forristal posted. “It can essentially take over the normal functioning of the phone and control any function.”

Bluebox modifed an Android device manufacturer’s application to obtain access to all permissions on the device.
The vulnerability is due to “discrepancies” in how Android apps are approved and verified, Bluebox says, allowing hackers to tamper with application code without changing the app’s cryptographic signatures. That means that an app — any app — that looks perfectly safe and legitimate to an app store, a device, an engineer, or a user actually could actually have malicious code embedded within it.

src: Massive Android flaw lets hackers ‘take over’ and ‘control’ 99% of Android devices (updated) | VentureBeat

Flash

Lost in speed
Read it yesterday, but it was touted as "Android's master key" in CNN.
But, it's applicable to devices over 2009 right?

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Most probably as it is a flaw how Apps security is scrutinized. I am not into Android Development but what I understand that it is how an App may look good to google but can be compromized.. either intentionally or unintentionally..

Flash

Lost in speed
Update: According to a report in CIO, Google has already modified its Play Store’s app entry process so that apps that have been modified using this exploit are blocked and can no longer be distributed via Play.

*techcrunch.com/2013/07/04/android-security-hole/

Top Bottom