Safe ride with pillion sitting sideways

srdigit16

In the zone
I am afraid to ride with a pillion sitting sideways. How to practice this so that me & the pillion don't fall off the scooter?
I weigh around 68 to 69 kg. Upto how much weight for the pillion is safe for proper control of the scooter (wego)

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
You can count to 3 and jump off the moving scooter, that is easy way to fall. Don't forget to wear helmet.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
:lol:

You don't have to practice anything. Just ride on slow speed 5/10 Kmph in the start and once comfortable raise the speed by +5 to the allowed road limit.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
You can count to 3 and jump off the moving scooter, that is easy way to fall. Don't forget to wear helmet.
Made a big mistake when typing . Please take it seriously & give me tips for safe ride

Zangetsu

This is your Phobia. If you can drive & balance the Scooter well then you can easily overcome it.
Try to drive with pillion only at roads where no traffic is present. may be a side road or play ground open area.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Sorry about that :) . If you are unable to balance the scooter with a pillion rider around turns then the scooter might be a bit heavy for you. You gain some muscle and make yourself strong. Then you will be able to balance. I used to be very lean and with a pillion rider, my scooter handle used to shake a lot. Now I have gained a bit strength with my age and it shakes lesser and I can ride comfortably with a pillion rider.
You should start practicing as Zangetsu suggested, that would give you more confidence and you will be less anxious while riding as you gain more experience.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Sorry about that :) . If you are unable to balance the scooter with a pillion rider around turns then the scooter might be a bit heavy for you. You gain some muscle and make yourself strong. Then you will be able to balance. I used to be very lean and with a pillion rider, my scooter handle used to shake a lot. Now I have gained a bit strength with my age and it shakes lesser and I can ride comfortably with a pillion rider.
You should start practicing as Zangetsu suggested, that would give you more confidence and you will be less anxious while riding as you gain more experience.
I am able to ride with pillion sitting tandem. I am not generally afraid in this case because the pillion's weight is distributed same as the rider. My fear is the unequal distribution of weight when pillion sits sideways. Currently the only pillion who is going to sit sideways will be my mother. She already have arthritis & neuro problems in legs & have fallen many times (not because of me, I haven't taken her on my scooter because of my fear)

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am able to ride with pillion sitting tandem. I am not generally afraid in this case because the pillion's weight is distributed same as the rider. My fear is the unequal distribution of weight when pillion sits sideways. Currently the only pillion who is going to sit sideways will be my mother. She already have arthritis & neuro problems in legs & have fallen many times (not because of me, I haven't taken her on my scooter because of my fear)

In that scenario, again you need to have practice of driving with unequal balance. I usually keep a very tiny tilt to opposite side to balance the weight.

Zangetsu

I never found any weight difference in pillion side riding and normal riding. Because the total weight would be same on the scooter.
This is true even when you ride a Bicycle with side pillion.

The only Tip would be for the pillion rider not a move his/her body while riding. As, Slight movement will disturb the center of gravity and that would result in loss of balance for the Rider. The more the Speed the more the impact would be. Hence, if the pillion is sitting calm and composed then the ride will be smooth. Don't take Sharp/Zig-Zag turns also.

Give the Pillion a Helmet for extra protection

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Me too never had an issue with the way the pillion sits. I guess it's because OP learned to ride at a later part of his life??? I don't know, just guessing.
More you ride, more confident you will get.
I learned to ride bicylce when I was 7 or 8yrs old. Even then it's quite common people sit that way.
*c8.alamy.com/comp/T2EW3N/rear-view-of-a-happy-school-going-girl-pillion-riding-on-bicycle-with-her-father-in-village-T2EW3N.jpg

*i.imgur.com/WItm0J4.png

Zangetsu

Don't think about too much on it. Just ride with some other person for some time. So that your brain will understand the pattern and make adjustments. Once, you are are confident then take your Mother as Pillion.

Top Bottom