Ryzen Vega rig suggestions

siddhesh222

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: The PC will be used for gaming. I will be playing games like CS:GO ( I'm OCD about the FPS, need it to be as high as possible. Source engine is mostly CPU bound.). Fortnite, Rust, PUBG maybe. Would be great if I could play AAA titles too at good settings. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is tempting. Interested in 1080p gaming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 55k (Least amount possible initially, will buy GFX card when prices drop) . I will have to confirm with parents if it is extendable or not. A no for now.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Tbh I'm a bit scared considering how temperatures are high in India & warranty concerns.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB should be fine. Have an external 2TB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, I already have a Dell S2240L 21.5" 1080p

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I plan to reuse as much of my previous rig as possible. Don't need a keyboard & mouse. Will elaborate more in 11th question

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP. Worried that 2200G/2400G prices might rise. Have to convince parents 100% too.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. I want to source everything mostly from one place so it's possible to see if everything works fine in conjunction etc. So will mostly buy everything from a brick and mortar store.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Yes, I DON'T WANT TO BUY A GRAPHICS CARD NOW. Hence, going for the Ryzen Vega rig so I can bide time till the prices (hopefully) drop. WILL HAVE TO BUY GFX CARD WITH SAME BUDGET. So I would like to keep expenses on everything as low as possible, so I can invest most money on GFX.

I want to reuse as much as possible of my old rig, I will mention it's config

FX8350
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
8 GB Hyper X 1866 Mhz
Nvidia GTX 660
Corsair CX 500 or 550 W ( I think; I don't exactly remember. Can be VS too. Can I reuse this for the new rig?)
NZXT Gamma Case. ( Is this reusable?)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler. (Reusable? lol)
Dell S2240L

I also have a few questions:

1) Is it more VFM to opt for 2200G? in India price seems a bit disproportionate.. Would I face a CPU bottleneck soon If I opt for 2200G? Also worried that since CS:GO is CPU bound, it would perform better on a 2400G.

2) Would it be possible to fit in a 1060 6GB once the price drops? or would be better to buy nvidia new series cards?

3) Another idea : Ryzen 2nd gen processor + overpriced 1050ti/ any other overpriced card which fits in budget. This is a bad choice, right? I THINK I can bide time since I mostly play esport-ish multiplayer games.

4) Would the IGP be better performing than my current gtx660? lol. If no, can I use the gtx660 on the new rig till I buy a new graphics card?

5) Is Crossfire possible with a discrete graphics card + IGP?

6) Where is the sweet spot in consideration to RAM frequency? I am not aware of current prices, I see 3000Mhz suggested though. Would 2 X 4GB Dual Channel be sufficient for now? I can't believe RAM is so overpriced right now. (Dual channel would be a necessity for IGP, right?)

7) What about BIOS updates? Will Lamington stores have mobos with updated BIOS? If no, can small stores upgrade the BIOS for me with a 1xxx Ryzen? Or PrimeABGB is my only option?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
GTX660 is faster than 1030 which 2200/2400G can match with 3000/3200 dual channel RAM & some bios setting optimization.No crossfire will be there for any Ryzen G series with discreet gpu.I don't think you have to worry about cpu bottleneck for any gpu till 1060 with even entry level Ryzen 1200.You will need DDR4 ram anyway so your existing DDR3 ram will not be reused.Same with your mobo & probably your psu(VS series is poor quality & CX original version series was also bad).

OP
S

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Well, it being weaker than my current GPU is a bit sad.. my GFX card is malfunctioning a bit ( I think), so I looked up online and saw this being hailed as the new budget king. But there's not much point I guess to wait for 1 year without a graphics card now that it's gonna be weaker than my GTX660, right? Do you guys think I should still go ahead with the purchase?

2nd gen Ryzen + whatever overpriced card I can fit in my budget makes more sense then, I guess. Please suggest if I should wait or not, If I should wait, then for how long?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't play games but I think by lowering resolution to 720p & some quality settings you should be able to make do with 2200G for most games.Wait for others to post,especially gamers,for better suggestions.

OP
S

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Okay, so I just confirmed that my card indeed is failing, I can't even boot up Rust anymore... Situation is bad rn. I am now more interested in buying this build ASAP now that I know my graphics card can die on me any moment..

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Will Lamington stores have mobos with updated BIOS? If no, can small stores upgrade the BIOS for me with a 1xxx Ryzen? Or PrimeABGB is my only option?

You may need to match the manufacturing date of the board with the BIOS release dates as displayed on vendor site. Not all boards necessarily clearly show the factory flashed BIOS version on them.

Most of the mobo vendors service centers are located on Lamington Road itself.

Once you finalize the board, call up the service center and get an early confirmation that they will do the BIOS updates for you. I checked with Gigabyte Pune and the person confirmed that they will do it for me in case needed. So I don't need to depend on small stores. Many of the shops on Lamington road shall direct you to the service center itself. Prime ABGB have their own tech team & setup, so they are in a position to do it for you.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -57.6K

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -12900,
Asus Prime B350-Plus - 8000,
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR4 3000MHz -6700
Corsair CX 550 -4500,
Antec P8 Tempered Glass Panel cabinet -5000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3000,
Asus Phoenix GTX 1050 Ti 4GB -14800,
Cooler Master Devastator 3 Gaming Combo -2700.

Total -57,600.

Last edited:
OP
S

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Guys, since the APU runs 20% better on dual channel memory compared to single channel memory, I will have to opt for two 4GB sticks. Which 4gb x 2 RAM kit should I buy? Is Crucial Ballistix available in 4gb x 2 kit?. Please give your suggestions.

High frequency memory is the only reason I haven't jumped the gun on this rig yet. How reliable is, suppose, overclocking a lower frequency RAM to 3000/3200MHz to extract more performance?

Are certain RAMs more suited for overclocking? Need to learn about this . Are the RAM prices expected to drop anytime soon? or nah?

Also, is the 2400G worth the extra premium? Based on Indian pricing? I mean the extra 4k might help me get a better graphics card in the future. So IDK which to go for.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
If you are purely looking at value for money then the premium is not worth it. I went for 2200G instead. Also if you will overclock CPU later and get a dGPU.

But if you want best performance from an APU now, then you should shell out the premium.

OP
S

siddhesh222

Journeyman
If you are purely looking at value for money then the premium is not worth it. I went for 2200G instead. Also if you will overclock CPU later and get a dGPU.

Can you please tell what all components you bought? I'm specifically interested in the RAM. I guess I'll have to go with the 2400G because i'll have to stick with this for 5 years atleast.

Going to buy my rig tomorrow. Feeling a bit 'uncertain', just a gut feeling.

Also, what's the consensus about me reusing my PSU? It's a CX 500. Working fine so far. And my Cabinet?

Please suggest a cheaper cabinet too, incase I decide to not reuse my cabinet.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Extra money for 2400G is also for CPU performance for 4 extra threads , so if you plan to add a decently powerful GPU later these threads will help you a lot in future games.. and also in some current games like Battlefield 1 multiplayer in which 4 C/4 threads are at 100 % usage .. this is if you plan on keeping this APU for long time..

otherwise if you are ok with selling , buying 2200G now , saving 4k now , later selling it for 4k or so and then buying a Ryzen 3rd or 4th Generation with more single thread performance and most likely also more threads by then for 8-9k or so is better...

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Can you please tell what all components you bought? I'm specifically interested in the RAM. I guess I'll have to go with the 2400G because i'll have to stick with this for 5 years atleast.

Going to buy my rig tomorrow. Feeling a bit 'uncertain', just a gut feeling.

Also, what's the consensus about me reusing my PSU? It's a CX 500. Working fine so far. And my Cabinet?

Please suggest a cheaper cabinet too, incase I decide to not reuse my cabinet.
The RAM I bought was ADATA XPG Spectrix XPG 8 GB 3000 MHz RGB for 6,200 from MD Computers online. It is in transit now.

I also got 2200G, ASUS B350 Plus motherboard, CX450 PSU, WD Blue 1 TB (because this was the only 7200 RPM drivr in Blue series) and a Logitech MK200 USB keyboard-mouse combo (I have a PS/2 set and this motherboard has only 1 PS/2 port).

OP
S

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Extra money for 2400G is also for CPU performance for 4 extra threads , so if you plan to add a decently powerful GPU later these threads will help you a lot in future games.. and also in some current games like Battlefield 1 multiplayer in which 4 C/4 threads are at 100 % usage .. this is if you plan on keeping this APU for long time..

I do plan on adding a decently powerful GPU when the graphics card prices stabilize, I was thinking the same thing about the threads, soon games will begin to utilize it.. I'll surely go for the 2400G since gaming is the priority for me

The RAM I bought was ADATA XPG Spectrix XPG 8 GB 3000 MHz RGB for 6,200 from MD Computers online. It is in transit now.

I also got 2200G, ASUS B350 Plus motherboard, CX450 PSU, WD Blue 1 TB (because this was the only 7200 RPM drivr in Blue series) and a Logitech MK200 USB keyboard-mouse combo (I have a PS/2 set and this motherboard has only 1 PS/2 port).

That's a nice price you got the RAM at. Do you plan on adding another 8GB one later? Can you please tell what all the rest of the components cost you too? That would be very helpful...

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Wait.... wait... I did a mistake with the price there. I forgot to add taxes.

RAM 7316
CPU 8732
Motherboard 7729
PSU 3303
HDD 3009
Combo 767

Total 30857
+shipping 500

Gaming is not a priority now but nice to have. Will be adding another stick of RAM later on nevertheless.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shipping charge of 500 is quite low considering weight & dimension of products.Is it some offer for buying whole rig/many components from them(mdcomputers)?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I mailed them and got a quote. Later he asked me to add 500 towards shipping cost.

These were all the items I requested for.

If you order direct from their website, shipping was calculated to be 750 or so.

There was not much difference in the price otherwise.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What? They charge for shipping?
I haven't bought the whole built, but have few components. Never there was shipping fee.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It is not obvious because it is added only in the final step.

How did you buy things? Direct from their website?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
How did you buy things? Direct from their website?
Yeah, directly from their site. There is no third party online seller like Amazon, FK.

I checked their site now, it still shows shipping is free. And there is a line, I guess I haven't noticed that before. "To get the benefit order the product separately".

So it seems like if you order in bundle, you will be charged for shipping.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Wow! That is something unheard of. Generally benefit is for ordering together.

Wondering if it has to do with some weird local law.

Top Bottom