Request for a gaming rig config (75k budget)

rembranded

Broken In
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a decent gaming rig within the next 2 weeks. I need some help in finding out what would be the best bang for my buck for the below specifications

I've filled in the PC configuration questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Primarily gaming. Games that I will be playing include: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Mirror's Edge (Old, I know), Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Minecraft (Surprisingly more graphic intensive than I expected), Dragon Age: Inquisition (Upcoming), Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Upcoming), The Witcher 3: Witch Hunt (Upcoming), Batman: Arkham Knight (Upcoming)

I've mentioned some upcoming games too, to give you an idea of how well I would like my rig to perform.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 75K. Stretch Limit: 78K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Probably. To be honest, I am not really sure at this moment.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (Will also be dual booting Linux flavours along with these in the future)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1-1.5 TB HD + ~70 GB SSD (For the OS)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I would like to buy a monitor. Size: 22-24 inches. Resolution: Full HD (1920*1080)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard. I have just recently purchased a Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard and I plan to use that for the foreseeable future

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next 2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I haven't built one myself, but I have friends who have, and who are willing to help

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Chennai (Thiruvanmiyur specifically). I am open to buying online or otherwise, wherever cheaper

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Quite a few things actually:
1) The games that I have listed for question 1. I would like to play them at Full HD resolution, and at High graphics settings with at least 40 fps, and this would be my hope for the next 3 years.
2) I have no particular preference when it comes to graphics card manufacturers. The only advantage I gain from having an AMD card is that Steam (Welcome to Steam) will keep my graphics drivers updated Feel free to suggest NVIDIA cards too.
3) I don't know why, but I have got this bias for Intel processors. I will, of course, consider the better advise of the good people of this forum if an AMD processor is preferable, but I just wanted to put this point out there.
4) I am reasonably tech savvy, so in the context of explaining something, please feel free to lapse into tech-speak. I am quite sure I can follow.
5) I would like to keep some cash spare for a UPS (I am sure my current 600 VA is not going to be sufficient) and for a licence key for Windows 8.1. If it is required, I can fund these 2 from other sources, but if possible please consider the cost of these 2 too as part of the overall config
6) I don't particularly need speakers, headphones, or a webcam
7) I would need a gaming mouse with 2 side buttons. I have become used to them and it is very very difficult to go back. I prefer a Logitech one since I already have a Logitech keyboard and this will fit in to the Logitech Gaming Framework software
8) I am not too familiar with cooling solutions. Do I need to purchase extra fans apart from the ones that come with the cabinet? If so, which brand, and how many?
9) Is an optical drive really required? I can't remember the last time I used any optical media except for OS (re)installs. Even that can be done with flash drives now. I understand it is not too costly, but by skimping on this, if it is possible to increase one of the core components, then that is better.
10) I don't need cabinets with side panels or anything fancy for that matter. I just need a neat metal finish cabinet.

I have thought of a config based on the suggestions given in this forum and other sources and I have listed them below. This goes slightly above what budget I have, so I would like your suggestions as to where I can cut down on cost for not much of a loss. All prices are from Flipkart as of the time of writing.

Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 = 14,550
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 = 8,999
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 4 GB * 2 1600MHz = 6,500 - The cost of 2 sticks of this comes to 6,500
GPU: MSI AMD/ATI Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 Twin Frozr = 25,480 - Why is the Sapphire card suggested over the MSI one?
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620 Watts = 5,750 - I figured with the other components involved 55W wasn't going to be enough
Cabinet: I have no idea what to get here. Deepcool Tesseract is fine except for the fact that I live in a dusty area and rubber finishes attract all kinds of dust. I would like a prefer a full metal cabinet.
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM = 3,949
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB = 5,099 - I don't actually need 120 GB, but I've heard great things about the Samsung EVO drives and this seemed like too good a price to pass up
Monitor: Dell S2240L 21.5" IPS LED Display = 8,799
Mouse: Logitech G400s = 2,142 - As I have mentioned earlier, even though the Dragon War series is cheaper, I prefer to have a Logitech mouse since it will integrate with my keyboard software. I also find the Dragon War series a bit gaudy/tacky with an over-abundance of printing on top of the mouse. Are there any other suggestions?
Optical: Asus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W = 1,077 - Do I really need an optical drive?
TOTAL: 82,346/-

I realise that this is a request with several conditions/caveats but I wanted to be extremely clear at the start itself. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
gonna be a long one :O

OP wait for new GPU launches. They all will be launched in a month.

Corsair 300R/Cooler Master N300 - 4.5k/3.5k
Seasonic S12II 520W - 5k
Xeon 1230v3 - 17k
Gigabyte B85 D3H - 5.5k
Samsung EVO 128GB - 5.5k
WD Green 2TB - 5.2k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6.5k
R9 285X - 20k
AOC I2369VM/Dell S2240L - 10k/8k

Locally all should come within 70k.
You have 8k left. Get APC 1100VA - 5.5k.
Get a hands on a dreamsparks account for cheap windows 8.1(maybe even free, dont remember it). Also check in G2A for Windows 8.1 ( G2A Win 8.1 .
You don't need extra cooling solutions.
ODD isn't required too.
Get Logitech G300 ~1.3k

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Thanks for your reply Aditya! I have some comments of my own:

1) Do you really think a 520W PSU will be sufficient?
2) Just out of curiosity:
2.1) What is the difference between the Intel Xeon and Core i5 suggested here, apart from the facts that the Xeon supports Hyperthreading and the Core i5 has an inbuilt GPU? I used this for comparison: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 vs Core i5 4570
2.2) What is the difference between the Radeon R9 280X and the upcoming Radeon R9 285X apart from lower power consumption on the latter? How will this make my system more future proof?
3) Are you sure that the new Radeon will be around 20K only?
4) For the MSI Z87-G43 Mobo, apart from the chipset and the 4 extra SATA 3.0 slots, is there any other reason why that was suggested in the 70k build in this thread? The Gigabyte one only has 2 SATA 3.0 slots, will this be enough?
5) My original thought for the mouse was the Logitech G300 only, but the placement of the additional buttons is not always convenient. If they had placed the buttons at the side, then I can have the side buttons pressed, along with the ones on top, but this one doesn't seem too comfortable for that. I suppose though (and I think of this as I write this) I can always map the side button functions to the additional buttons next to the right click, so that I can use those and the left click at the same time. It would take some getting used to though.
6) Last one: When can I expect to see the new GPUs released in India?

Once again thanks for your response. I appreciate your help, and you have gone a great deal towards reducing the cost overall :)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
1.The new Tonga GPUs have low TDP so 520W should be enough.
2.1. Xeon 1230v3 is an underclocked i7 4770. They perform identical. And Xeon 1230v3 is cheaper than i7 4770. So don't compare it with an i5 :p ;)
2.2. The new Tonga GPU (R9 285x and alike) have low powe consumption, which in turn keeps it a little cool. It has better performance per watt. Afaik its a little weak than R9 290 and powerful than GTX 770. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE FUTURE PROOF.
3. It was supposed to be cheap, cant say how will it be priced in India. Maybe 2-3k more.
4. Ask [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] or [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] about this. I don't know :I
7. Next month. nVidia should also lainch new GPUs next month,

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Gigabyte B85m D3H has 4 sata III ports and 2 sata II ports. end even 2 sata III ports is enough unless you wanna use more than 2 ssds in your pc.mechanical hdd cant fully utilize SATA III since maximum data transfer rates of SATA II and SATA III are 300 MB/s and 600 MB/s, respectively. ssds will be beneficiable on sata 3.

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier. I've been coming home late from work for a while now.

As usual, I come with questions:
1) Anyone know where I can buy the Xeon CPU from (locally in Chennai or online)?
2) Is this what is being referred to as the Gigabyte H97 Mobo?Flipkart? I don't see any Xeon processors being listed as compatible for this one.
3) Can I also get some help on where I can buy the cabinets specified by [MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION] - Corsair 300R/Cooler Master N300?

My current build now is:
Processor: Intel Xeon 1230v3 = 17,000
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H = 6,750
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 4 GB * 2 1600MHz = 6,500
GPU: Unnamed AMD/ATI Radeon R9 285X 3GB GDDR5 (Tonga GPU to be released) = 22,000
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520 Watts = 4,950
Cabinet: Cooler Master N300 - 4,292 (Snapdeal - Is this the one being referred to?)
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM = 3,949 - The reason I am a bit reluctant on the Green drives even though they are cooler and quiter, is speed and reliability. I already have a 1 TB external Buffalo HDD. If required, I can get another HDD later, I suppose. Am I getting unnecessarily worried?
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB = 5,099
Monitor: Dell S2240L 21.5" IPS LED Display = 8,799
Mouse: Logitech G300 = 1,450
Optical: None
UPS: APC 1100 kVA = 5,500
OS: Windows 8.1 = 1,500 (from G2A - Thanks [MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION] for the great suggestion)
TOTAL: 80,789/- (Minus the cost of the UPS and Windows Licence)

sniperz1

Journeyman
You can buy Xeon from here online - Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 3.30 GHz Processor price in india Rs.17905. Buy Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 3.30 GHz Processor online : Theitdepot.com
Although I would suggest you to check locally and you should be able to get it much cheaper than this price

H97 chipset does support Xeon processors. I am already using Asus H97 Pro with it. To check the full list of processors supported by GA H97 D3H - GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 1150 - Intel H97 - GA-H97-D3H (rev. 1.0)

Check theitdepot.com for cabinets as well, they are chennai based. They have good options. But locally you will get it cheaper probably.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H is incompatible with the cpu you have chosen! check this
*www.digit.in/forum/redirect-to/?re...7-D3H+32GB+DDR3+Intel+Motherboard_P22269.html
or msi z97 mate. get kingston hyperx fury. should be way cheaper. 4.3k for n300 is not worth it. get antec gx 700/900 or nzxt phantom 240. wd blue 1tb is available for 3.5k locally. you are over spending on almost everything! bargain more.

Top Bottom