Replacement for SteelSeries Rival 310

markerOne

In the zone
I bought a SteelSeries Rival 310 Mouse 2 years back and was very happy with it until a few months back. My scroll wheel appeared physically fine and responded fine too - however, the actual scroll action performed was very jumpy. Specifically while scrolling up. I attempted to clean the scroll wheel sensor inside and it appeared to only improve the situation very slightly.

Unfortunately, I found pretty late that Steel Series does not have a service center in India (at least from my search so far). Ergo, I'm on the hunt for a replacement. I'm quite unhappy that it worked only for 2 years without issues. :(

I'm looking for a good gaming mouse under INR 5k. I have a large hand and hence a small mouse won't suit well. For now, I'm considering Logitech G502 Hero / Razer Basilisk V3 Pro. Are there any other better alternatives?

Razer has issues with middle mouse button, Viper series for sure. I had 2 Viper Minis fail because of middle mouse button, one was RMA'd 2nd mice was out of warranty.

Logitech has the infamous double click issue on left click mostly. But this can be rectified by replacing the switch with a soldering kit (Kailh GM8 is a good replacement switch).

I ended up with G304. If its switch fails outside warranty, I will repair it myself. Sad state of mice industry.

Not sure of Corsair, Redgear, Cosmic byte, etc.

There's MSI GM41 wireless & Asus ROG Keris wireless around 5k. Latter has hot swap switches.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My own Logitech 102's has scroll wheel issue and while I started looking for a replacement mouse, I decided to try to fix the issue myself.
Will report if it fixes once I get my hands on WD 40 cleaner which supposedly fixes the issue.

My own Logitech 102's has scroll wheel issue and while I started looking for a replacement mouse, I decided to try to fix the issue myself.
Will report if it fixes once I get my hands on WD 40 cleaner which supposedly fixes the issue.
Use IPA as replacement for WD40, if you don't find WD40. I used IPA to clean middle mouse button of an old G305 & it started working again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Dude, I just used WD 40 and applied some after opening the mouse G102. And it completely fixed the scroll problem. Now it's smooth! I am in shock for how effective that cleaner been! Saved me spending on something I shouldn't have!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Razer has issues with middle mouse button, Viper series for sure. I had 2 Viper Minis fail because of middle mouse button, one was RMA'd 2nd mice was out of warranty.

Logitech has the infamous double click issue on left click mostly. But this can be rectified by replacing the switch with a soldering kit (Kailh GM8 is a good replacement switch).

I ended up with G304. If its switch fails outside warranty, I will repair it myself. Sad state of mice industry.

Not sure of Corsair, Redgear, Cosmic byte, etc.

There's MSI GM41 wireless & Asus ROG Keris wireless around 5k. Latter has hot swap switches.
Offtopic: The bold part, repairing yourself. Can you point me to the kit I will need to repair it? e.g. I am not sure which brand has decent soldering kit. I have 2 Logitech mice sitting in home having double click issues,

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Offtopic: The bold part, repairing yourself. Can you point me to the kit I will need to repair it? e.g. I am not sure which brand has decent soldering kit. I have 2 Logitech mice sitting in home having double click issues,
*www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003134...5!sea!EE!748257922&curPageLogUid=CuTS2xDlTi8P

i only found in aliexpress.

amazon.in/gp/product/B07KJ9HS2F
amazon.in/gp/product/B08XNYV9VQ

Kailh GM8.0 replacement switch
genesispc.in/product/kailh-gm-micro-switch/

Use isopropyl alcohol to clean internals. Watch some videos specific to your mouse to help with opening & re-assembling it.
No need to look outside India for most mice. Just check if those Kailh switches fits the mouse you have. It is superior to the Omron ones which Logitech uses, in terms of reliability.

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
A little update - I opened up my Steelseries Rival 310 and cleaned it up inside. There were quite a build of dog hair and dust (yes, I own a pug).

It didn't help much though - the scroll and double click issues are still present. I'll settle between the Asus ROG Keris and Logitech G502 Hero (Wired). I consider the former because it offers hot swapping its switches and they bundle two along with the box.

The biggest bottomline though, I have service centers at my city for both brands unlike Steelseries.

Placed an order for Asus ROG Keris Wired at EliteHubs. Hopefully this should serve me for at least a couple of years...
I was very close to ordering its wireless version, but decided to save money & get G304 for under 3k. After using Viper mini for 2+ years, I wanted to get rid of wires (I was using G305 before that which started double clicking out of warranty).

Do post some initial impressions.

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
Hello guys,

Elitehubs just notified me that Asus Keris Wired has become unavailable and has suggested Razer Cobra Wired mouse instead. Looking up I find that it's quite new and there's not much reliable reviews to take a call.
However, I'm getting it for INR 3.6K. So, I'm going to go for it. I'll post the initial pictures and review here once I get it.

Razer Cobra Wired Gaming Mouse

Hello guys,

Elitehubs just notified me that Asus Keris Wired has become unavailable and has suggested Razer Cobra Wired mouse instead. Looking up I find that it's quite new and there's not much reliable reviews to take a call.
However, I'm getting it for INR 3.6K. So, I'm going to go for it. I'll post the initial pictures and review here once I get it.

Razer Cobra Wired Gaming Mouse
Cobra is a very new launch, surprised to see it available in India already. But then elitehubs have a great relation with Razer's Indian distributors.

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
Sorry for the delay.. But here you go.. Pictures of the new mouse.
IMG_20230704_212945.jpg
IMG_20230704_213006.jpg

IMG_20230704_212931.jpg

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
First experiences:

I'm new to Razer products though I always wanted to own some of their higher end variants 10+ years back. The new Razer Cobra feels a bit smaller compared to my Rival 310, but not too uncomfortable (yes, I have large hands.). I like the lighting at the base, but you can't see it unless you lift your hand off the mouse. I miss the rubberized grips on the side that my Rival 310 had. Though I don't think it'll slip much, their presence was definitely better. The clicking sound is more pronounced and audible in the Razer Cobra compared to the Rival 310. The scroll wheel is great and precise as well. (Having experienced issues in the Rival 310, this is a big deal for me).

Once I connected the mouse and booted up my PC, I was surprised to notice that the Razer synapse installation started up right away without me having to download anything. It was easy to setup and configure. I also stayed away from the other "add-ons" that Razer offered along with the required software.

I haven't had a chance to play any games with the new mouse yet (largely in thanks to my work and other priorities). For general usage, I find it comfortable though I would definitely prefer a slightly larger mouse. However, the other folks in my house have a rejoiced a bit since the new mouse is a tad smaller and suitable for their hands.

Not sure why Razer had to kill Viper line instead of naming Cobra as Viper Mini V2. Anyways, this is the new Viper Mini.

Is there any onboard memory for the RGB light or is it still tied to Razer Synapse? So basically lights will cycle through colours till PC is booted & Razer Synapse is running, at which point your lighting customisation is applied.

IMO a Razer Viper Mini wireless at say INR 5k would have been a hot seller, but sadly it still doesn't exist. G305 needs a competitor.

For Viper mini, middle mouse button broke twice for me. So I hope you don't have a habit of opening links on new tab by pressing middle mouse button.

Top Bottom