Redmi Note 8 battery drain issue

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So my wife's Redmi Note 8, which I bought just 2.5 years ago, is starting to behave very strangely now.
It have suddenly started to give very less battery backup. Most of the time phone shuts down abruptly when it's above 20%.

Hence I thought it's calibration issue. And doing recharge cycles, but it hasn't given me good results.
Attached are couple of pics, which also shows that battery drain is more when phone is in standby mode.

Any one who have experienced this? Or any app that can also help is battery callibration? Before I try to get the battery replaced maybe?

photo_2022-09-08_11-48-16.jpg
photo_2022-09-08_11-48-21.jpg

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Are you running some app that runs in the background? Those usually drain the battery. However, the phone will usually notify you whenever an app is draining the battery.

khalil1210

In the zone
Do you have mi cloud logged in? If logged in can you try once logging out mi cloud account and try for 1 or 2 days.

My friend had similar issue with redmi phone. In night when they slept phone had 30% charging. But when they wake in morning phone used to be completely empty. Some background service used to run. They disabled mobile data and wifi in night before sleep then the battery drop was only 2% .

Also try AccuBattery – Apps on Google Play

Install it check how much battery is present. Test for one day or two and then uninstall the app.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well I observed that battery is swollen. Seems like cost cutting to me by Chinese manufacturers. :(
My LG g6 is 4 years by comparison, and only battery backup is short, compared to 2.5 yr of Redmi and phone shutting down even if I start a YT video, no matter how much battery it indicates.

IMG_20220909_160735_182.jpg

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I would not put this phone on charge anymore. It would be safer to give it away to e-waste management.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Correct. I have turned it off since I observed it. And not charging it anymore.
But seems like there are solutions available on YT to fix it by using a needle to carefully puncture the battery so that the air is released. However I dont think I should try to do that and just get the battery replaced.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Do not attempt to puncture the battery! I have seen enough of bulging battery videos to know this should not be done in any case. The content of the battery may catch fire after coming in contact with air. The fumes from burning Lithium batteries are toxic!!

Well I observed that battery is swollen. Seems like cost cutting to me by Chinese manufacturers. :(
My LG g6 is 4 years by comparison, and only battery backup is short, compared to 2.5 yr of Redmi and phone shutting down even if I start a YT video, no matter how much battery it indicates.

View attachment 21799
Not cost cutting, low QC maybe. My Alienware laptop's battery got swollen, so can happen anywhere. Just bad luck. Get a new battery or new phone.

Get original one from Xiaomi.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Battery swelling is a common problem. My Apple Ipod Touch (2011) had this issue in 2016.
>> Do Not attempt to mod the swollen battery <<
Try for a official replacement or buy a new one, whichever is cheaper.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
There is a company Nunam. You can give it to them if possible. They will recycle it :)

*www.nunam.com/

Watch this video about them:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright got the battery replaced.

Service Center was asking for Rs 1600 to change battery of Redmi Note 8, which is Rs 999 from official sources. Which is ok, 600 might be there service charge. But then they will do repairing in a closed room, away from my prying eyes. Hmm.
I thought ok. Let's give them.

But then they also asked pin of phone, reason being they will QC the phone. I said just battery needs to be replaced. So they just need to make sure display is ok.

In the end, didn't trust them enough to give phone to service center. Got it replaced at half cost at a known local place.

Thanks guys for the help. Let's see how long does it last.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There is a company Nunam. You can give it to them if possible. They will recycle it :)

*www.nunam.com/
This is really good. But I didn't see them focusing on mobile battery. Moreover its on Bangalore. I guess I will have to toss out old battery in the dustbin.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
This is really good. But I didn't see them focusing on mobile battery. Moreover its on Bangalore. I guess I will have to toss out old battery in the dustbin.
Please try not to throw in the bin mixed with rest of the garbage. If you have corporation personnel who comes daily in morning, you can hand it over to them, they will know how to dispose it.

Willjoe

Broken In
If you are experiencing Redmi Note 8 battery drain, then adjust the screen's brightness. The brighter the screen, the more battery it will consume. You can set the brightness somewhere in the middle or even closer to the minimum level to save battery. You should also set the time for the screen to blackout.

Regards,
Will

Top Bottom