Recommended DDR4 RAM speed for Ryzen build?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
While generally faster RAM is better, I remember reading somewhere that faster RAMs had compatibility issues with some motherboards and hence 2400 Mhz was generally the most compatible for Ryzen builds.

Is the situation same or can a faster RAM be recommended?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Great.

I had another question about dual-channel RAM. If I am tight on budget, is it worth the additional performance gained by going for 4 GB x 2 option vs. 8 GB single stick now and add another 8 GB stick later? Taking into account that motherboard has 4 slots for future expansion.

Great.

I had another question about dual-channel RAM. If I am tight on budget, is it worth the additional performance gained by going for 4 GB x 2 option vs. 8 GB single stick now and add another 8 GB stick later? Taking into account that motherboard has 4 slots for future expansion.

Simple answer no

In India, most people are budget conscious & opting for such small performance improvements aren't worth it. Better to have 1x8GB now & add a second one in future, maybe even 3rd & 4th. 8GB is just enough for now, but 16GB is better. After 2-3 years, 16GB might become minimum. Assuming you are getting a 6 core Ryzen, I'm sure you can easily use it for next 5-6 years without any problems (or even longer). Also AMD, unlike Intel, supports its CPU slots for long, so you can get a new CPU after few years without having to change RAM & motherboard. Considering all these, 1x8GB is a better option. I'm sure you can save & buy another 8GB stick in next 6 months or so.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.amazon.in/Crucial-Ddr4-Sdram-M...8&qid=1515203253&sr=1-12&keywords=Crucial+RAM

This was on lightning deal for Rs 3500, along with Kingston modules for 3800 (8 GB)
keep a lookout for these. Both of them are overclockable to 2667 mhz without any issues in Aida64 stress test.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OK. I was thinking of Corsair Value Select.

I have been in touch with a distributor in Bengalooru. I may be able to get it from there if I can solve the problem of shipping.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Simple answer no

In India, most people are budget conscious & opting for such small performance improvements aren't worth it. Better to have 1x8GB now & add a second one in future, maybe even 3rd & 4th. 8GB is just enough for now, but 16GB is better. After 2-3 years, 16GB might become minimum. Assuming you are getting a 6 core Ryzen, I'm sure you can easily use it for next 5-6 years without any problems (or even longer). Also AMD, unlike Intel, supports its CPU slots for long, so you can get a new CPU after few years without having to change RAM & motherboard. Considering all these, 1x8GB is a better option. I'm sure you can save & buy another 8GB stick in next 6 months or so.
This is my plan and thoughts too overall. I am getting a Ryzen 3 1200 though.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
The Ryzen 3 1200 will soon be replaced by the Ryzen 3 2200G APU which includes Vega 8 integrated graphics. If you want to use the integrated graphics for gaming, RAM bandwidth matters a lot, and 2x4 GB will perform way better than 1x8 GB (likewise, 3200 MHz RAM will be far better for the iGPU than 2400 MHz RAM). If you don't care about integrated graphics, RAM bandwidth takes a back seat.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
That soon will be at least 6 months before it will reach my hand in practice. And I am planning to add another 8 GB stick down the line.

Where did you read about that APU?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
That soon will be at least 6 months before it will reach my hand in practice. And I am planning to add another 8 GB stick down the line.

Where did you read about that APU?

APUs are launching on feb 12 .. so should be here in india by feb end at most ( if it is as per previous ryzen launch track record ) .. my guess- expect roughly around Rs 7500-8000 price for 2200G ..

CES 2018: AMD Ryzen Desktop CPU with Vega Graphics Coming Feb 12 | PC Perspective

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APUs performance unveiled - VideoCardz.com

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
OK. I was thinking of Corsair Value Select.

I have been in touch with a distributor in Bengalooru. I may be able to get it from there if I can solve the problem of shipping.
*www.amazon.in/Corsair-Vengeance-24...2400C16R/dp/B01ARHCZYO?tag=googinhydr18418-21
This RAM is available for 6.4k in SP Road,Banglore

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
@gta5 your prediction came true. The APUs are available for purchase online from MD Computers and Prime right now.

I will try to go for faster RAM in a single stick of 8 GB right now due to budget and add another similar stick later @spikygv because IG graphics performance is important to me too.
Is this worth buying at 8200? ADATA DESKTOP RAM XPG SPECTRIX D40 SERIES - 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4 3200MHz RGB (AX4U320038G16-SRS)

I am finally getting one of these two. However the 4,000+ price difference between the two is confusing me. From the reviews so far I do not see that much of performance difference between the two to justify the premium.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Noooo don't go with single stick , since your main purpose is IGPU go with dual channel ram .. but you will be limited by additional ram upgradability in future if going with a cheaper board ,

you need to see the sweet spot between price and performance.. don't go too high MHZ as it will be very expensive then

3000Mhz seems decent if you can go for it and doesn't cost too much extra , otherwise 2666Mhz doesn't cost much more than 2400MHZ and should be the minimum , And do check properly supported Ram and speeds in motherboard qualified vendor list and status of recent BIOS updates..

as for processor , 2200G IGPU overclocked can reach close to Gt 1030 and 2400G igpu.. but that needs decent VRM on mid range board atleast

What plans do you have in future ? are you going to add discreet GPU ? or just stick to APU itself ..mention your current and future requirements/usage better create a new thread mentoning budget and all ..

Last edited:
OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The single stick will only be for a short while to get the build going. I will add another stick later in a few months. Right now gaming performance is not crucial. But in order to keep the option to upgrade I wanted the best speed.

Is that 3200 RAM alright in that sense?

Edit: Considering that I will be buying a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, can I buy a 4 GB x 2 kit now and later add 8 x 2 kit to the other 2 slots?

Last edited:
Get 1 stick, but due to high costs 3200MHz isn't worth investing as the performance improvement isn't much (actually not even observable). Get 2400 or 2666 as they are the sweet spot. Invest money on other components like higher capacity SSD maybe.

In a way 8GB is considered as minimum for PCs. So no point in having 2 4GB sticks. Get another 8GB stick after few months & you are good for next few years.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The single stick will only be for a short while to get the build going. I will add another stick later in a few months. Right now gaming performance is not crucial. But in order to keep the option to upgrade I wanted the best speed.

Is that 3200 RAM alright in that sense?

Edit: Considering that I will be buying a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, can I buy a 4 GB x 2 kit now and later add 8 x 2 kit to the other 2 slots?
Get any 3000Mhz DDR4 like CRUCIAL DESKTOP RAM BALLISTIX TACTICAL SERIES - 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4 3000MHz (BLT8G4D30AETA)
You need to get all 4 RAMS with same speed in order for Dual Channel memory to work. You cannot use 2x4GB + 2x8GB but only either of them. Don't mix them.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Thank you. Now I understand. I will buy 1 of 8 GB now and similar one few months later. Keeping room for expansion in future.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Get any 3000Mhz DDR4 like CRUCIAL DESKTOP RAM BALLISTIX TACTICAL SERIES - 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4 3000MHz (BLT8G4D30AETA)
You need to get all 4 RAMS with same speed in order for Dual Channel memory to work. You cannot use 2x4GB + 2x8GB but only either of them. Don't mix them.

slightly wrong info. if used with 8 4 8 4 or 4 8 4 8 on ram slots, it will work as dual channel. however sometimes motherboards are too sensitive to latency of the RAMs, it can sometimes cause problems depending on the RAM that you have.

@op, it is better to buy RAM in pairs. They will be mostly identical and will work best with any motherboard. If you are tight on budget ,get an 8GB stick now and get another one with same latency and speed later. It will just work.

Top Bottom