Recommend a cheap modem/ac modem router

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The modem part of my W8968 modem-router seems to have gone kaput in the recent thunderstorm.

Because of my history of losing modems to lightning, I do not want to invest more than 2 -3 K. But the attraction of dual band 2.4/5 GHz and AC speeds is calling me too.

Is there a value for money affordable solution somewhere?

Alternately if I can use the existing W8968 as wifi and buy a separate DSL modem alone that might work too. (Too many devices?)

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
So it looks like buying a brand new modem of the same type is the best choice for my condition right now. Thank you.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
WiFi modem + router from Dlink cost around ₹ 2.5K. Some brands like iBall, TP link etc give they modem + router combo with b/g/n for close to 2K.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
AC750 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router - TP-Link

What is the opinion about this model? Mainly interested in range as it is an issue for me even with my current W8968.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Range inversely depends on frequency while bandwidth directly depends on frequency(laws of physics) so 2.4ghz lower bandwidth signal will always have more range than 5ghz higher bandwidth signal.Unless more powerful &/or more no. of antennas are used,expect not much improvement in range for similar/slightly higher priced models with newer/more bandwidth standard.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
That is true. The transmitting power is given as less than 20 dB or something for this while I do not know the equivalent value for the other.

The dual-band mode will be helpful in case of future congestion and also help faster local transfers such as desktop backup of mobile data.

There is no word on the range in meters.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should know that devices must also have AC wifi to take advantage.As of now most i3 4th gen(& older) laptops & currently popular desktop wifi adapters are non-AC wifi.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
After studying the pros and cons of dual-band AC modem router, I decided to buy a new piece of TD-W8968 the trusted one again.

Hopefully this will last for at least one year surviving the thunderstorms.

Top Bottom