Realtek HD audio glitches

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a gigabyte b75m d3h motherboard that was purchased last year.It had been working fine for the most part these last couple of months-but a strange issue has surfaced of late which is really driving me nuts.

Every now and then realtek audio manager displays the device plugged/unplugged popup even though nothing has been plugged or unplugged from the computer's audio in/out ports.Also it sometimes simply refuses to detect my speakers which are connected to the green line-in port at the rear of the mobo and displays the "no device plugged in message" with a crossed speaker icon in the taskbar-its not until i physically unplug the audio in jack and plug it back in that its detected by the system.

Despite formatting the system and installing the latest available drivers the issue still persists and happens from time to time for no rhyme or reason-however its frequency seems to have increased a great deal of late.

Is this issue software related-or is it being caused by some fault with the hardware itself?

This is a very annoying problem and i still haven't been able to find a definitive fix for it-please advise what course of action i should take to resolve it,thanks.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
First check if Realtek HD Audio Manager Software has any settings that might be controlling this.
Modern HD Audio headers & ports use Jack Sensing mechanism circuitry. If this circuitry misbehaves for some reasons like failing components then you are likely to get these kind of issues.

The software & drivers I believe are just following the signals it’s receiving from the hardware. You have already tried reformat & reinstall latest drivers.

Do you have HD Audio connector on your case?

If your case supports front HD audio try wiring it that way. Plugging in AC97 into HD header just might not work. You need to open the case and check if the plug says just Audio or HD Audio.

If front audio is wired correctly for HDAudio, does it also happen with Front audio ports? If front ports are good and back panel has issues then it might have to do something with hardware/circuitry in the back panel ports. When wired for Front audio, disable back panel ports thru Realtek HD Manager.

Also just FYI I believe there seems to be a typo error in your post. refuses to detect my speakers which are connected to the green line-in port at the rear of the mobo

Green is Line-Out, Blue is Line-In & Pink is Mic-In. Make sure that you have plugged the right device at the right port.

You may also check if there’s any latest BIOS update for the board and flash it. I believe your board supports Dual BIOS so it has a fall back mechanism if something goes wrong during flashing.

If you have IPA cleaner, spray it directly onto the back ports to clean them off any dust deposits. Do it when PC is off and wait for 2 – 3 minutes to let it dry completely.

If your case does not have front HD wiring, try to check if any local vendors/repair shops have any HD Front Audio ports bracket. However these are rare and not easily found in India. Alternatively get it tested at their end with a case that has HD Front audio. They might charge a fee for such testing work.

If the board is still under warranty, it might be also worth checking with Gigabyte support, though they may not be very friendly with RMAing relatively older released boards.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thank you for your inputs, its greatly appreciated. I have a corsair spec 1 case and i believe its front panel has a hd audio connector which is connected to the mobo's audio header.

Most of the popup notifications that i receive regarding plugging/unplugging devices are related to the audio out ports at the rear of the mobo. However it also displays such popups about the front panel audio ports occasionally-so its rather difficult to isolate which ports are actually causing the problem.

Sometimes the computer works without a hitch for long stretches and shows no such popups, however in other situations it just drives me haywire with incessant popup messages.

Yea that was a typo - the 3.5mm jack from my speakers is connected to the green line out port at the rear of the motherboard.

The frequency of these messages seem to have increased after installing the latest build of win 10 (1809) recently. Could it possibly be due to some software/driver related glitch? Are realtek's audio drivers buggy?

Is ipa cleaner safe for use with electronic devices? Could spraying it directly on the audio ports somehow cause a shrort circuit and render them useless?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Since it’s happening to both front as well as rear panels, a software glitch cannot be ruled out as well.

Sometimes as a part of troubleshooting I also prefer to downgrade app/driver/OS update or even firmware.

If you have time and patience you may try previous Windows 10 1803 if you have ready ISO/dvd or so or use Heidoc Windows ISO downloader to get previous Windows 10. Also downgrade Realtek drivers/apps and see.

However first thing then I suggest (if not already done) is In Realtek Manager completely disable popups and see how is the effect. If it still misbehaves. Generally this is under 'Connector Settings'. Typically clicking a folder like icon on right top panel shall open up this settings panel.

IPA cleaner is safe. Use only IPA cleaner on circuits. Do not use medical alcohol. Allow it to dry before you switch on the system. It evaporates fast. However I guess that’s not a priority item it seems as both ports are giving you the issue.

Last edited:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Its happening for me too when i plug in my headphone in 3.5mm jack reatek hd notification comes headphone plugged but sound doesnt come in headphone i think it is a glitch needs to be fixed latest realtek hd manager with windows 10.I have to restart my pc to make my headphone work.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i tried various known fixes but to no avail-as a last ditch measure i formatted my pc again and installed an older version of windows 10(v 1803) and since then i haven't run into this problem as of yet.

Also i haven't installed any drivers from realtek-i am using the default drivers included with windows 10.

After a bit of googling i discovered that even though this issue isn't well documented,several users have encountered it upon installing win 10's october update(v 1809)-so i think there's some bug or hidden glitch in this update which was causing the realtek audio chipset to act erratically.Lets hope i will not face this issue with v 1803 of windows(keeping my fingers crossed for this!) -windows 10's updates and fixes have been rather buggy lately and so i have disabled the update service altogether for the time being.

@pkkumarcool: which version of windows are you using?What are the specs of your system?if by any chance you're on win 10,can you check whether you have the october update installed or not(you can confirm it by checking your version of windows,which should be 1809 if this update is present).

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
@quicky008
Yes, I have done the same thing. I have completely disabled Update Service on my Win10 Home laptop and since then for last 3 - 4 months it has never downloaded a single update. I however do not recommend this method to anyone because the side effect is that the downloads from MS Store may get disabled.

So far so good, however if any intelligence is built into Win10 to auto enable the service or even override any third party tools (so far it has not happened) then my next step is to write a powershell script to check the service status and disable it again at logon every time.

Good to know that downgrading to v1803 has helped.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Its happening for me too when i plug in my headphone in 3.5mm jack reatek hd notification comes headphone plugged but sound doesnt come in headphone i think it is a glitch needs to be fixed latest realtek hd manager with windows 10.I have to restart my pc to make my headphone work.
For me when I plug in my head phone sound does not come or if it is already plugged in also. So I remove and plug in again to get the sound in my headphones.
It is coming after I updated to 1809 only not before that. I think either Microsoft or Realtek needs to patch it with an update.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Have you tried rolling back to v 1803 of windows?
For me when I plug in my head phone sound does not come or if it is already plugged in also. So I remove and plug in again to get the sound in my headphones.
It is coming after I updated to 1809 only not before that. I think either Microsoft or Realtek needs to patch it with an update.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom