Raspberry Pi 4 - devil's curse from hell

Nerevarine

Incarnate
From official store, ROCK64 SINGLE BOARD COMPUTER – PINE Store

I would not recommend you to buy rock64, as it's EOL now and not much development is going on.
Raspberry pi 4 would still be better choice for dev work, provided you can do adequate cooling.. Wait for next revision maybe.

In terms of hardware,
RockPi4 ~= RockPro64 > Pi4 > Rock64

In terms of software support
Pi4 >>>> others

For a NAS, minimum you should aim for is Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 on their separate buses, a USB 3.0 enclosure with HDD/SSD, Gigabit LAN router/modem and/or wifi AC if you are going to use it on mobile or laptop.

HDD/SSD (Sata 3 6gbps) With USB 3.0 enclosure (5 gbps bottleneck ---->Gigabit Ethernet (1 gbps bottleneck) ----> SBC (CPU Bottleneck) ----> Gigabit Ethernet (Router/modem/switch) -----> Wifi AC or Gigabit Ethernet device..
Max Final speed can be 1 gbps for any files stored on your hdd (120mb/s)
Reality you should get 80-90% depending upon how powerful the cpu on sbc is.

Last edited:
OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
BTW, where did you get your Rock64 from? Amazon? The prices seem too expensive there.
Thingbits or robu.in seem to better options for these things, it's cheaper. But they don't seem to stock rock64. I myself bought my Pi from Thingbits.
This one has rock64 ROCK64 MEDIA BOARD COMPUTER - 4GB RAM

Offtopic but I contacted my broadband provider and they do give out static ip for free.. its ipv6 static ip, so lets see ..
I have a local ISP, I doubt they'll support these. I don't even know whom to ask, I got it from the local cable guy.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Today I discovered that while setting up Transmission on my Pi, I had set it to store ongoing downloads on the memory card. So it was storing everything there, and then moving them to the external HDD on completion. After changing this behaviour, i.e., shifting all the locations to the mounted drive, the Pi seems to be running smoothly even when a download is ongoing. Earlier when torrents were downloading, the Pi would completely stop responding, even to terminal commands, till the download was complete.

Don't know if this is expected behaviour in case internal storage is getting full, but this does seem to have been a mistake on my part.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think it's expected. AFAIR Transmission (or any torrent client for that matter) stores the download chunks to the user's home directory by default because it is usually the only directory on the system wholly owned by the user. The home directory will always be on the main storage.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
My guess is that read-write actions are a lot less strainful when you do it on HDD or SSD than a memory card. That would have freed up some resources.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Kind of offtopic but since we dont have a dedicated linux thread :
A pleasant surprise I got from my ROCK64 today.. As you know I use sonarr to download TV Shows, and one of the shows I downloaded was Better Call Saul..
Today the latest episode got released and lo and behold, Sonarr automatically downloaded it, based on the quality I like, and renamed/put it in correct folder and scheduled a drive upload tomorrow..
Truly the stuff of comfort :D

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Kind of offtopic but since we dont have a dedicated linux thread :
A pleasant surprise I got from my ROCK64 today.. As you know I use sonarr to download TV Shows, and one of the shows I downloaded was Better Call Saul..
Today the latest episode got released and lo and behold, Sonarr automatically downloaded it, based on the quality I like, and renamed/put it in correct folder and scheduled a drive upload tomorrow..
Truly the stuff of comfort :D

Beats setting up an RSS feed for every show. Then again, these days I've only been downloading complete seasons, rarely individual episodes.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
is your pi working well now or there is still lagginess still?
It's working now. I don't face any problem connecting to my torrent client or shared network drives. I have disabled the GUI and am using it completely headless now. I've also connected it to the router via cable to reduce lag while streaming.

Heating issues are there though. I have set a cron job to check the cpu temperature every 5 minutes and notify me via telegram if it crosses 68. I get notified whenever a download is running or the files are being accessed over the network continuously. I have ordered a fan as my old fan was too noisy and I had to take it out. But apparently the dealers import it from China and the import is stuck because of the Coronavirus related slowdowns.

Top Bottom