Raspberry Pi 4 - devil's curse from hell

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Does using raspberry pi in headless mode simply mean accessing it through SSH and running the commands?

This might be foolish. But you can always install something like Ubuntu server ( no GUI to process ) and then use a web panel's File Manager for UI or NextCloud for file storage. All you have to do is to configure a static IP locally.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
This might be foolish. But you can always install something like Ubuntu server ( no GUI to process ) and then use a web panel's File Manager for UI or NextCloud for file storage. All you have to do is to configure a static IP locally.
Thats exactly how it should work. No utilizing the pi's weak gpu to render display or GUI. Use a web server

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Can Raspbian be run in server mode, without GUI?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I think it should. Never tried it myself. Ubuntu has some really useful guides on how to use on Pi. They are officially supporting Pi these days. That means you can use platforms like AskUbuntu for support.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Cool Buddy headless itself means there is no graphic output directly from mobo/processor/system. When you are running ssh commands then display being used is your system & pi is just running those commands.Sure the signal to display those commands on your ssh screen comes from pi but it is nowhere near to doing the same thing on a display directly connected to pi or via remote desktop like session to pi.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Desmond David
Does using raspberry pi in headless mode simply mean accessing it through SSH and running the commands?
Or is there a way to disable the display completely, so that the Pi is not unnecessarily processing the screen graphics?

I'm not able to find anything on this. When I search anything with the word headless, all I get are results for how to setup the pi as a completely headless server.
Headless means there is no UI and its as barebones as possible. If the OS on your Raspberry PI has any desktop environment, then it will be loaded into memory until you either remove it or use another distro that does not have a GUI. I am not sure if you can completely disable display, but removing the display driver might work.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Desmond David But desktop environment/display driver loaded into memory & just sitting there doing nothing will only result in ram usage but no cpu usage,for it to do something there should be some monitor/remote desktop session etc,right?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you want a distro which has extremely lightweight cpu and ram utilization, is barebones (but not too barebones !), doesnt have a desktop UI and has great community support, try dietpi..

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
The Raspberry Pi has an option to boot into CLI, no GUI. It can be accessed inside boot settings by typing
Code:
sudo raspi-config
in the terminal.
I have enabled that now. So no more mouse support.

Support for Raspberry Pi 4 is even poorer in general. A lot of alternative OSs which worked on 3B+, still don't work on 4. Apparently there were some changes in how the OS boots the first time, which hasn't been implemented in all the alternatives yet. Hell, even NOOBS doesn't boot reliably on the Pi 4. I guess it will take another 5-6 months before the support for Pi 4 is robust as earlier versions.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
yeah because its new. Opensource is like that, atleast it is guarenteed you will have support in the future because Raspberry pi is a well known device.. No such luxury for me :(

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Which is why I opted for Pi even though I was aware of the alternatives. I'm not familiar with linux as it is. At least when it comes to Pi, I get all the support I need from forums.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Offtopic but I contacted my broadband provider and they do give out static ip for free.. its ipv6 static ip, so lets see ..

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Desmond David But desktop environment/display driver loaded into memory & just sitting there doing nothing will only result in ram usage but no cpu usage,for it to do something there should be some monitor/remote desktop session etc,right?
Running in memory is still memory used which could be used to handle slightly more requests IMO. But yes, CPU will not be used because the process will be in suspended state.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Offtopic but I contacted my broadband provider and they do give out static ip for free.. its ipv6 static ip, so lets see ..
Take it,I recently found out that many seeders/peers in countries like China/South Korea/Japan etc are using home broadband connections that gives a hybrid ip in the form of dedicated ipv6 but a common ipv4 for a group(say some apartment complex,housing society etc) so they are usually connected to ipv6 peers unless there is such large traffic that ipv6 is unable to handle the bandwidth(in which case some traffic is rerouted to the shared ipv4 resulting in its exposure to the ipv4 peers) but this rarely happens as most of these connections are gbps/100mbps+.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
So my new hard disk drive arrived today.. Went with a purple drive for extra warranty at same cost..
Total Cost :
Rock 64 = Rs 3500 (2GB)
Case = Rs 600
Power supply = Rs 690
Western Digital Purple 1 TB = Rs 3000 (may upgrade in the future ?)
Orico Standing dock = Rs 1950
SD Card (Samsung 32 GB Cant remember exact model) = 799
Total = Rs 10,540
Full setup :
Full setup, gonna put this all in a side table once i get that.
*i.imgur.com/tJsVeGQ.jpg
Added Godzilla in radarr, downloaded in 1-2 hr
*i.imgur.com/kFXwQ3A.png
Library Shared on Network, Kodi running on main PC
*i.imgur.com/CobOM2e.png
HDR Properly detected in KODI
*i.imgur.com/oYOVFba.jpg

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Does Rock64 have different buses for ethernet and USB? AFAIK Raspberry PI has same bus for ethernet and USB, that is why network performance and USB performance will go down on Raspberry Pi if you use it to share storage over the network.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
To be honest, I like this thread. Because I always wondered how a powerful CPU can act like a fool in front of a 6k board. I thought perhaps electronics has evolved so much. But looks like if you are going to have a NAS, you need strong hardware as well. At least moderate.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Does Rock64 have different buses for ethernet and USB? AFAIK Raspberry PI has same bus for ethernet and USB, that is why network performance and USB performance will go down on Raspberry Pi if you use it to share storage over the network.
Yes, it does, that's the reason I chose it over 3b.. 4 wasn't released at that time.

Top Bottom