Ram Or SSD upgrade on a New laptop

motorazor143

Broken In
Hi guys,

Recently bought a lenovo G50-70 laptop with 500 Gb HDD and 4 GB ram. Laptop is running on windows 8.1 64 bit. I don't game on the laptop and i usually don't run any heavy applications. My usage from this laptop is mainly browsing and watching movies, youtube etc. Most of the time i have at-least 2 browsers open with 30+ tabs. I may also need to edit pictures using Photoshop occasionally. I have not used a SSD before so not to sure how much performance boost it would bring to the table. my options are.

1) Upgrade Ram to 8 Gb dual channel.My desktop runs on 8 GB RAM and it does everything i throw at it including hours of Bf3 gaming.

2) SSD: I have read on many forums that SSD makes a lot of difference especially boot times. I'm thinking about buying samsung Evo 120 GB which is selling around 4.5k on amazon. with citibank offers and vouchers i can pick one of these for around 3.5k.

I know that the ideal scenario would be to add both RAM and SSD but i don't want to spend that much money on the upgrade right now. I may consider adding it in the future but for the time being i would like to get the upgrade done in 3.5 to 4k. I would really appreciate if someone can guide me here.

Regards

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
you'll have to remove the DVD drive or the HDD if you want to add a ssd as the laptop lacks a mSATA slot. :(
you can upgrade the ram any time you want.

Last edited:
OP
M

motorazor143

Broken In
Thanks Buddy. I'm okay with the 120 GB space since i have a few external hdd's lying around. So will the hdd upgrade give me more performance boost than RAM?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks Buddy. I'm okay with the 120 GB space since i have a few external hdd's lying around. So will the hdd upgrade give me more performance boost than RAM?

RAM upgrade will give you more memory for multitasking, browsing, etc, while SSD will give you faster performance and quite low boot-up times.
Fresh installation is recommended and SSD's shouldn't be defragmented IMO.

Top Bottom