Questions around IT career options and RHCE

SahilAr

In the zone
Hey Everyone,

I have three questions,

1. Are there any IT Career options without coding/programming?

2. Do I need to know programming in order to become RHCSA/RHCE Certified?

3. After working as a RHCE for 3 years, if an individual decides to move to Cloud Computing (AWS Certification) will his work experience get counted?

Experts, please share your views, I am waiting ;) ;)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
1. Are there any IT Career options without coding/programming?
Functional position such as a Business Analyst or something like System Administrator (though this would still require some knowledge of shell scripting).
2. Do I need to know programming in order to become RHCSA/RHCE Certified?
Shell scripts mostly.
3. After working as a RHCE for 3 years, if an individual decides to move to Cloud Computing (AWS Certification) will his work experience get counted?
Yes, because AWS also has sys admin and infrastructure stuff.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Infra, admin, process analysis, build/release/deployment, manual testing, hardware/IT/networking, management...
while most of these do not require "coding" background, you will need to know how the code works to be able to get into these fields.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Edited the title from "3 questions in 1" to "Questions around IT career options and RHCE".
Please make sensible titles from next time.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
while most of these do not require "coding" background, you will need to know how the code works to be able to get into these fields.
Not always. Sysadmins and deployment generally require a knowledge of shell scripting, for deployment you might also need to know CI/CD applications such as Jenkins, Hudson, CircleCI, etc.

Networking requires knowledge of hardware as well as network management tools. I think RHCSA will cover linux utilities for this.

None of these require any knowledge of programming though. But the tools you are required to be proficient in are still pretty vast in scope themselves.

Not to mention knowing systems inside out as well as good proficiency on the OS (Red Hat in this case) itself.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Correct me if i am wrong but "coding" does not directly mean programming. It can mean shell scripting, the knowledge of how jenkins etc. work, configuration management, proficiency in unix terminal etc,

Any kind of automation falls into "coding" imo. unless its record macro

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I myself interpret coding as programming and I just call writing scripts as scripting. But I think its just a technicality.

Yes, even with Jenkins you might have to write scripts at times, but that is only if you don't already have a deployment script. In my previous projects, we developers used to write the deployment scripts and the infra team used to just configure Jenkins to execute it. So, I think it depends on requirements.

Running commands on terminals is akin to shell scripting, but everything else does not fall under coding. Coding = writing code = programming.

mobo

Broken In
I do consider scripting to be a subset of coding/programming, but it wouldn't really be an IT career if you had absolutely nothing to do with any code whatsoever, like say an HR in an IT company.

Scripting is IMO less complex compared to core programming, and release/build/infra will frequently require plenty of setup and manual configuration for scripting to only be a small part of your responsibilities.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I do consider scripting to be a subset of coding/programming, but it wouldn't really be an IT career if you had absolutely nothing to do with any code whatsoever, like say an HR in an IT company.

Scripting is IMO less complex compared to core programming, and release/build/infra will frequently require plenty of setup and manual configuration for scripting to only be a small part of your responsibilities.
Yes, same thoughts here as well.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
But this doesn't have much scope nowadays. As far as I know, in MNCs they are asking automation testing and at least basics of one programming language, such as Java.
:sigh: This I would say wrong.

Always know for a thumb rule, for any software 80% of the test cases can be automated and 20% not. This 20% has to be done manually.
I'm and automation tester with 12yrs exp. in automation (total 12 yrs exp)

From my exp. we sure are the blue eyed boys of the industry but we come only when manual testers complete testing.
These is still huge demand and scope.

But, know this, with only manual testing your career might become stagnant, so eventually you yourself would like to shift to automation (hence coding again)

There is no escape from this.

BUT a big but....

Be a manual tester for 6 yrs, then do an MBA (executive, distance etc. whichever suits you) and then move to management. No coding for life!

Top Bottom