Question regarding USB-C charging on Laptops

I saw this video on Youtube
where the guy tries to charge an HP laptop using 5W, 10W, and 30W mobile phone chargers. For all three options, the laptop was charging, but very slowly (slowest on 5W and at half speed on 30W). The laptop he is using is a 65W power brick requiring laptop.
I tried this on my new ASUS TUF Dash F15 2022 (which supports 100W USB-c charging). I have a 30W Oppo mobile charger, but it's not charging the laptop at all. Is it that only HP laptops support charging from weaker chargers?
Now does this mean that I can USB-C charge my Asus laptop ONLY using the official 100W USB-C charger sold by ASUS (currently out of stock everywhere)
Can I use chargers from different brands like AmazonBasic 65W charger ? Amazon.in
Or do I need a proper 100W charger like this one Amazon.in .

I need a small, light and compact charger to carry to the office every day. I will only be using my laptop for work, maybe sneak in a few youtube viewing sessions during breaks.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
where the guy tries to charge an HP laptop using 5W, 10W, and 30W mobile phone chargers. For all three options, the laptop was charging, but very slowly (slowest on 5W and at half speed on 30W). The laptop he is using is a 65W power brick requiring laptop.
I tried this on my new ASUS TUF Dash F15 2022 (which supports 100W USB-c charging). I have a 30W Oppo mobile charger, but it's not charging the laptop at all. Is it that only HP laptops support charging from weaker chargers?
You need to have matching voltage even if current (in ampere) is less which will result in longer charging time with these adapters/chargers.

All laptops including Apple use USB PD standard, whereas BBK electronics don't (oppo, vivo, OP, realme). So not surprising that it is not working. Heck BBK sells power banks with USB PD standard instead of their proprietary one.

My 15W charger from xiaomi maintains the charge level on my Macbook air, doesn't charge it.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Just get a charger which has the same V/A ratings as the 100W Asus one.

Sent from my moto g82 5G using Tapatalk
I checked so many USBC Chargers on Amazon. Hardly any one them have a VA rating. Can you plz check the links i posted in the top post and see if they have the same VA rating as Asus laptop

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Just get a charger which has the same V/A ratings as the 100W Asus one.

Sent from my moto g82 5G using Tapatalk
This is the specs of the official Asus one

Model Name AC100-00(A20-100P1A)​

Input AC100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 1.6A​

Output​

DC 5.0V / 3.0A
DC 9.0V / 3.0A
DC 15.0V / 3.0A
DC 20.0V / 5.0A

So which is the best/cheapest/value for money USB C charger on Amazon/Flipkart etc ?

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
All laptops including Apple use USB PD standard, whereas BBK electronics don't (oppo, vivo, OP, realme). So not surprising that it is not working. Heck BBK sells power banks with USB PD standard instead of their proprietary one.

My 15W charger from xiaomi maintains the charge level on my Macbook air, doesn't charge it.
can u recommend me a good USB C charger.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
This is the specs of the official Asus one

Model Name AC100-00(A20-100P1A)​

Input AC100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 1.6A​

Output​

DC 5.0V / 3.0A
DC 9.0V / 3.0A
DC 15.0V / 3.0A
DC 20.0V / 5.0A

So which is the best/cheapest/value for money USB C charger on Amazon/Flipkart etc ?
Try Anker or Ugreen GaN chargers.

Top Bottom