Queries on Vista Ultimate FPP Retail License

Status
Not open for further replies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Please help me with the following queries.
1. Can WHQL requirement be disabled in 64bit ultimate.
2. I want to know if purchase of Vista Ultimate allows me to switch back and forth between 64bit and 32 bit editions as and when required without additional costs. I mean will I have to buy 64bit and 32 bit separately or a single purchase entitles me to use both. Incase I get vista business, can i switch 32 bit to 64bit and vice versa. Does business version support dx10 gaming fully?
3. Is there any limit to PC to PC transfers. I am using borrowed PCs. I borrow desktop/laptop for 45 days and return them and borrow from someone else. I will format the older PC before installing on new PC, hence fulfilling the single installation requirement.
4. I heard that xp downgrade rights are available for FPP retail packs, only if they are under select license or software assurance. How do I get them? I know people with volume license of xp and office who can purchase on behalf of me, if that helps.
5. Can I expect windows 7 ultimate to be discounted for owners of vista ultimate? Will MS remove the silly requirement of previous OS being installed for Upgrade versions with windows 7?
6. Finally the cost of vista ultimate FPP.

gopz

In the zone
Please help me with the following queries.
No, it is not possible, Its a feature of Vista 64Bit

2. I want to know if purchase of Vista Ultimate allows me to switch back and forth between 64bit and 32 bit editions as and when required without additional costs. I mean will I have to buy 64bit and 32 bit separately or a single purchase entitles me to use both. Incase I get vista business, can i switch 32 bit to 64bit and vice versa. Does business version support dx10 gaming fully?
Yes, it is possible to switch between back & forth as many times as you want. Its the same CD key for both versions, you dont need to pay anything extra. Vista Business supports DX10 gaming fully.
3. Is there any limit to PC to PC transfers. I am using borrowed PCs. I borrow desktop/laptop for 45 days and return them and borrow from someone else. I will format the older PC before installing on new PC, hence fulfilling the single installation requirement.
You can use the software without any limit if you purchase the RETAIL version, not the OEM version.

4. I heard that xp downgrade rights are available for FPP retail packs, only if they are under select license or software assurance. How do I get them? I know people with volume license of xp and office who can purchase on behalf of me, if that helps.
If you buy Vista Business or Vista Ultimate bundled with a new PC, then you automatically are eligible for downgrade rights. But this is not applicable for Retail versions or OEM packs - its applicable only if you got Vista Business/Ultimate with a new PC.

5. Can I expect windows 7 ultimate to be discounted for owners of vista ultimate? Will MS remove the silly requirement of previous OS being installed for Upgrade versions with windows 7?

No idea about this as of now :)

No idea, maybe someone else can help

My answers in Bold

OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@gopz
thanks a lot for you quick reply which answered most of my doubts. A few you missed.
2. Can I switch back and forth between 32 and 64 bit for non ultimate vista versions also?
4. I know of OEM downgrade rights. What about select license and software assurance?

Where did you get this info from? I have been googling for quite some time. All I get is info from unofficial sites which sometimes contradict each other. Where can I get an official confirmation. I should not weep later for making purchase based on false information from unofficial sources. No insult to you. This is significant money and hence I need to be 100% sure.

I am also thinking of OEM license in case I buy my own system. The problem is that I may do frequent upgrades including mobo upgrades. How many changes can OEM withstand. I also heard that support for OEM versions will not be provided by microsoft but by the system assembler. What kind of "support" will not be provided by microsoft?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

WHQL => Windows Hardware Qualification LABs

It is not a feature of vista, rather its some thing else, its a qualification program for Hardware manufactures to obtain that logo certification !!!

So i dont get your question !!!

OEM doesnt allow you so, and why would you need to switch back to 32bit when you have fully working and trusted WOW64 :)

Home Premium sould be enough for you, Business is a lincence term allowing you to enroll your self in arunning domain controller to use AD where as Ultimate has a lot of important back end extra service which as an home user you would never use, all the real front end feature is present there in Home pemium :lol:

you cant, your Retail licence is tied with your systems motherboard + VGA + CPU unit hence u cant with retail copy.

Contact your vendor, in case of OEM what you do is simply install a any copy from another system, actiuviation fails you call MS explain your intention mention your Vista version and product key, MS issues a new XP product key for your self to activate the product.

Yes you can, but if you have Windows XP right now, then personally I suggest not to buy vista at this point, Win 7 is expected in next 2 years, wait for it, and invest there with better hardware :)

around 9k for Vista ultimate but, doesnt worth as a home system OS, get your self the home premium, thats value for money :D and ment for yor purpose :D

What kind of "support" will not be provided by microsoft?

Lets re-phrase the question, as What support does Microsoft would provide to you ? frankly its quite NONE as front end.

They wont receive calls for Sir my system not booting, those are not under warranty thus no support in them.

Support only for Key related issue, activation related issue from front end.

Where life long product update patches and online KB access for address known issue of your product.

If you want any thing more would be treated as paid support request, single remote support question would cost you between USD 35 to USD 250 :lol:

Last edited:
OP
adithyagenius

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@choto cheeta
I expected a lot of answers from you. Maybe you read my post in a hurry and posted this in a hurry and you are busy. FPP means boxed version bought off the shelf a software store. OEM=bundled with new PC. Please understand my situation..
I will be computing on borrowed systems. I will have a system for around 45 days before I return it and borrow another system. The problem is that I will only get hardware and antivirus. OS will not be given. Some systems are uber l33t with 64 vista gaming capability. Some won't have 64bit drivers or 64bit version of antivirus. WOW64 emulates for programs but it cant emulate 32bit environment for drivers. Antivirus will scan very slowly in WOW64. I know WOW64 is highly capable for running all other 32 bit programs. As my system keeps changing every few weeks I cant take OEM version. All systems I will be getting wont be realistically vista capable. XP downgrade right is a good feature I want to have if possible. The OS will be provided by a large organisation which already has volume licenses of various microsoft software other than vista. So vista will have to be bought purchased either through select license or with software assurance. I want to know the procedure. Since only business and ultimate support xp downgrade other versions are out of question. My work will involve MS Vistual PC a lot which is not supported under home premium.

For your replies... in case you correctly read my previous posts.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif..
1. Like gopz said 64bit vista requires whql certified drivers. I wanted to know if whql certificate checking can be bypassed and non whql logoed drivers be installed.
2. You are contradicting gopz and posts in some other forum. I think you are confusing OEM with retail. I think retail usually means fpp. Microsoft mentions that people who own vista ultimate 32bit can install 64 bit version if they want, but did mention if it required some kind of "anytime upgrade" purchase. I was just confirming that if it was free and reversible.
3. I know for sure that retail license can be transfered but oem cant be transfered. But I was just confirming if there was a limit to total transfers or transfer per year.
4. I dont have vendor. I am not interested in oem. I know that single retail versions bought under software assurance or select license provide downgrade rights. But I have no clue what they mean. I know it has to do with business purchases. Incidentally, my os will be purchased by a large business. Hence I wanted to know the procedure to get a retail version with downgrade rights.
5. All I have is ubuntu right now. I need to play games, I need to run lots of software which require windows. Hence I cannot wait for windows 7. Thats the reason I wanted to know if I will get a reprieve through a discount while upgrading to windows 7
6. Since you are assuming that I am looking for OEM version, I am assuming that you have quoted me an OEM price.
7. So, what is difference between the support for fpp boxed release and oem version. OEM verions contains a sticker stating that microsoft doesn't provide support for this license of windows.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Sorry, I have mistaken it as OEM rather Retail / FPP

:(

FPP mostly known as Retail, for that rules are different.

2. You are contradicting gopz and posts in some other forum. I think you are confusing OEM with retail. I think retail usually means fpp. Microsoft mentions that people who own vista ultimate 32bit can install 64 bit version if they want, but did mention if it required some kind of "anytime upgrade" purchase. I was just confirming that if it was free and reversible.

3. I know for sure that retail license can be transfered but oem cant be transfered. But I was just confirming if there was a limit to total transfers or transfer per year.

Good news is both retail (FPP => "Full Packaged Product") and volume licence does allow you, please download the RDF version of product licence from here of Home Premium Retail copy, *cid-fd32de07857b7f84.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Choto Cheeta/1.pdf

Page 8 should address your doubts

ToS Vista Retail said:
You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

4. I dont have vendor. I am not interested in oem. I know that single retail versions bought under software assurance or select license provide downgrade rights. But I have no clue what they mean. I know it has to do with business purchases. Incidentally, my os will be purchased by a large business. Hence I wanted to know the procedure to get a retail version with downgrade rights.

Sorry as replied for OEM,

yes in-case of FPP option available, its launched with value Rs. 15k in India for ultimate edition,

if you know any vendor then good if not then MS India runs Dial a software program to bring the vendor to your door step...

1. Like gopz said 64bit vista requires whql certified drivers. I wanted to know if whql certificate checking can be bypassed and non whql logoed drivers be installed.

Are you talking about issue with non installation of unsigned device drivers ??

then below screen shot should address that :lol:

*img154.imageshack.us/img154/6571/image000va8.jpg

u can chose to boot without that feature under x64 vista :D

7. So, what is difference between the support for fpp boxed release and oem version. OEM verions contains a sticker stating that microsoft doesn't provide support for this license of windows.

My support comment stays the same with any version of OS from MS :(

I will be computing on borrowed systems. I will have a system for around 45 days before I return it and borrow another system. The problem is that I will only get hardware and antivirus.

See problem comes with activation as Internet activation would start giving problem after 10th attempt :( then you would require to call MS customer care to activate every time...

Now if the usage is bellow 120 days for a system try and use a key less installation with rearm switch (slmgr -rearm) which will allow you fully functional vista for 120 days without any key or activation :)

Now regarding WOW64 and AVS, you dont need to run AVS in WOW64 infact WOW64 wont accept the AVS or any security suite :lol: matter of fact is all major AVS suite now days have their x64 version :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
software assurance?

its some thing related to volume license, the idea is to pay the software charges in installment basis for as long as you run the software where Microsoft provides support (in all aspect related to your software) and free upgrade rights to newer versions as they available :lol:

*www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/howtoget/default.mspx

Select license

once again some thing related to Volume license,

Microsoft Select License is a Volume Licensing program for midsize and large organizations that have 250 or more desktop PCs. The program provides a flexible and cost-effective way to buy the latest Microsoft technology.

*www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sel/default.mspx

None of them are valid to end user retail purchase of a single Vista FPP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom