[PSA] Dell's warranty transfer is a scam

Bought an Alienware m15 (first mistake) from US, its battery has worn out pretty hard (35% wear) within a year. Dell's own PCDoctor test shows warning for the same. Contacted Dell for part replacement, they denied my request saying that since my laptop was bought in the US, it's not eligible for part replacement. Even though after warranty transfer, Dell's warranty page shows my laptop as having a valid warranty in India. Acc. to Dell guy, they just provide "technical support", that's it. You need a premium warranty for parts replacement.

So really, I just wasted money on Dell for nothing, warranty transfer was a big point towards Dell over Lenovo (Y740) & Acer (Helios 300).

Note: It surely is base warranty.

*i.imgur.com/hu4iARj.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried contacting Dell US support,I have found Indian support team of all major pc component brands in India quite lacking compared to their global counterparts.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Btw I also see this,are you sure your laptop battery would have been covered even in US especially when it is almost at the end of warranty period.
upload_2020-3-7_3-13-33.png

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Btw I also see this,are you sure your laptop battery would have been covered even in US especially when it is almost at the end of warranty period.
View attachment 18861
Service center guys told me that it will be covered & to raise a ticket when I gave my laptop for repasting. Now they are being questioned about why they did a free servicing when my laptop doesn't have a valid warranty, the service center guy is confused as my laptop's warranty looks like any other Indian bought laptop acc. to him.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
I mean contact them to discuss about why Indian centre is not honoring transferred warranty,it was after all physically purchased in US.
Contacted Alienware US, they are telling the same BS. Considering a service center guy got confused, Dell is surely playing some underhanded tactics or something.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that's disappointing after seeing this example where dell refunded full original purchase price in credit note instead of depreciated value(which is the norm) for a 4 years old laptop in extended warranty.
Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
When I bought my Dell XPS 15 last September from the US, I was told I need the Premium Warranty for International coverage. So I paid an extra 50 USD IIRC. They have changed the rates now. Plus they have different paid support for battery.

Top Bottom