Problems in installing Mandriva Linux 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

.NET Guru
Hi Guys,
i am a newbie to linux
now i heard about Mandriva linux 2006 and was impressed by its interface
now when i try to install the OS following error message pops up and i am unable to install the linus

Please wait
Installing driver for hard drive controller nVIDIA Corporation | CK804 Serial ATA Controller

now after this message my system becomes idle
no HDD movement (Ie light dont blinks)
no cd movement (Ie light dont blinks)
i even waited for 10 min but nothing happened
please help me in this regard as i really want this OS to install on my system
my system configuration is

CPU - AMD Athlon64 3200+
Mobo - ASUS A8NE
HDD - WD 250 GB sata 2
GPU - nVIDIA 6600GT
Ram - 1 GB
DVD writer - lite on
please help
thanks in advance

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
This is the error message you are getting? What are you using - Mandriva Linux free
version or commerical version? The commerical version ships with NVidia drivers,
the free version doesn't. Since it's not free!! You can do one thing. Take the NVidia
card out of the System. Looks like it's the one that is hanging the installation.
And try installing Mandriva Linux (without NVidia card installed).

OP
Champ

Champ

.NET Guru
JGuru said:
This is the error message you are getting? What are you using - Mandriva Linux free
version or commerical version? The commerical version ships with NVidia drivers,
the free version doesn't. Since it's not free!! You can do one thing. Take the NVidia
card out of the System. Looks like it's the one that is hanging the installation.
And try installing Mandriva Linux (without NVidia card installed).

hi jguru,
thank god this question got ur attention:p as u r considered as one of the few linux greeks on this forum

well i am using free version provided with chip DVD (jan 06)

well my mobo is asus A8n-E so no int. Graphics, so i cant take out my GC:oops:
but as far as i think that it is the HDD which is culpit here (not sure):confused:

c'mon guys please provide other solutions as i am very fount of mandrake's user interface so i only want to install this linux

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can try installing Suse 10.1. It supports NVidia cards very well. Get it from your
friends. LFU gave it last month with their mag. Also after installation, you need to
download & configure a bit to enable XGL. After that your desktop becomes a 3D
desktop!! Enjoy some spectacular 3D effects. See the following link for more
details:
*www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17174.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom