Problem with Windows XP - Data gets Corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazydude

Journeyman
I am facing this problem with Windows XP.

Recently I bought a 120 GB Samsung HDD and loaded WinXp on it. Then I copied stuff from my old HDD to it.

After doing that I installed some s/w like Winrar and all onto it.

When I started running these s/w , got an error, stating that I have to do a chkdsk, which I did and it ran almost 20 mins ( I restarted the PC and let the CHKDSK run). It converted "fragments to files".

After that, it changed my folders in Program files of Mozilla, Acrobat Reader, Wirar into files, which cannot be opened. Even if u rename the extn to dir, it does not work.

So I formatted the sys and re-installed XP and again got the same prob described above. Folders turn into files and the programs do not work

Did a virus scan using Kaspersky, nothing turned up.

Can anyone suggest what is the problem here

Do I need to format it the 3rd time ???

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- could be problem with partitioning
- try changing ide cables and in xp whenever u get the error , check event viewer to see if u get any disk or ide controller errors
- change hdd from primary to secondary
- which m/b
- if u are going to partition it again , use samsung disk manager from their site . it partitions and formats the whole disk quicker and u can make backup of ur mbr . there is an option to write zeros , use it to clear in case of virus . its a good option
- in case u feel hdd might have prob , there is hutil.exe and shdiag.exe in samsung site which run surface test and gives u the results . check which one is for ur model of hdd and run it
- there is an app to extract files from *.chk files . try google , i dont remember the name right now
- next time u install an app , check if u get errors when copying or running *.cab files (eg directx)
- if u have 2 memory modules try running sys on each one seperately

[deXter]

Journeyman
Before you do anything, I suggest you complete Spinrite 6 scan. (might take as long as 2 days on level 5)

--

Next time you do a reinstall, format using NTFS (slow). NTFS is much much much more reliable than FAT.

First check if everything is ok just after the installation.
Then restart, and check again. If eveything is fine, then install any one of the software.

Restart and install the second software. Now repeat this cycle. Keep doing this until you get the error with a particular software/ or till all your software are installed.

If you get to know that software, then you know somethings wrong with it. Try finding out what exactly happens. Then you may use a newer version of that software or an alternate version, or report it..

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom