Problem with NeroLInux and Slackware

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hello Friends! I'm using slackware linux. I've been using linux for sometime and am comfortable using it but my level of knowledge in linux is not too high, Though I was successfully able to install slackware on my computer after 3-4 tries. I got it running. But, I've had some problem since. The main one has been with my CDWriter and ComboDrive. They fail to write CD's properly using K3B. I tried using NeroLinux 2.0.0.3. While staeting it up it shows 2 error messages.
1) It says that my cd drives are using ide-cdrom drivers this is not useable with cd/dvd writers. It suggests that I need to install ide-scsi drivers for the drives. How do i go about doing that?
2)It also says that DMA acceleration is currently disabled for both the drives. Though i'm able to temporarily able to turn on DMA by using the following command "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hd*". It last only until I reboot my system. How, do I turn DMA on by itself at startup everytime.
The CDWriter drive is from LG and ComboDrive is from Samsung, if this information is needed.
Please help me out here as i'm unable to find the solution here. If its been posted previously point me to the link.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Q1. Edit /etc/grub.conf and append the following to the line which starts with kernel
Code:
/dev/hdc=ide-scsi
where /dev/hdc is your cdwriter. The lgrub may look like this after editing.
Code:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
password --md5 $1$z55m71AU$1t0d5DPolbydCmpioZPvh.
title Fedora Core (2.6.13-1.1526_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet [b]/dev/hdc=ide-scsi[/b]
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.img

Q2. Append the line hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdx to the file Edit: /etc/rc.local, which will solve your problem.

OP
M

mehulved

Thank you desertwind for your reply. But you seem to have overlooked the topic.
Firstly, I'm running Slackware not FC4. Secondly, I have lilo installed not grub. And, thirdly rc.local is not contained in /dev/rc.local its contained in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
I've appended rc.local file as per your instructions, But, I haven't touched lilo.conf as it looks quite different from grub.conf you've shown here.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I overlooked into it for sure. and am terribly sorry for the error

for lilo edit /etc/lilo.conf. look for the line append=
if present add the following to the existing content'
Code:
hdc=ide-scsi

for eg if you have append=" devfs=mount quiet" the new line will look like append=" devfs=mount quiet hdc=ide-scsi"

if your lilo.conf doesn't have a the append line, create a new line
Code:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"
Save and exit.
run lilo
if you dont get any errors, reboot your machine.

Hope this will solve.

OP
M

mehulved

Thank you desertwind
I added:
hpdarm -d 1 /dev/hdd
hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Also, in lilo.config I added the line:
append ="hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
Then i ran lilo as you advised.
This has solved the problem. I can see both the drives in nero now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom