Problem with liteon lh20a1p

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I know that a thread with similar name is in the hardware section but the problem is different:p

I tried burning an iso image with liteon lh20a1p using k3b.
In the window that appears while burning dvd/cd, two types of buffer are shown. 1) FIFO buffer 2)Device buffer.
My FIFO buffer keeps swaying from 10% to 100% but in the device buffer part, "no info" is shown!!
This does not happen when I burn CDs using my SONY CD burner. (Here even device buffer shows the progress)
So what might be the problem???
I am a bit skeptical because here the buffer size is 2MB (MAX), what is this max??? Can it be that my drive has no buffer????:(

Theres one more problem:
I tried installing the latest firmware on windows ME (I know....) but I am getting an error. I think thats because the drive officially supports Win2K and/or XP. So can I install the firware using wine???
I think I can conect my drive to friends PC using winXP and then upgrade the drive but I dont wish to do that!! So will it work fine if I install it using wine.

PS: This might be the wrong section but my post is a mixture of both opensource and hardware trouble:D:D, so bit confused!!

Please guys, reply fast. Am waiting eagerly for replies.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
cynosure said:
Can it be that my drive has no buffer????:(
I don't think that is possible. More probable situation is that K3B is not able to detect your drive properly. Don't worry, K3B is solid enough program to work properly even with this deficiency but just for the safety sake...do not do any kind of hard disk intensive work while burning your DVD. Also tell us the distro, kernel and K3B version you are using.
So will it work fine if I install it using wine.
I really do not think that would be a very good idea. Wine is just an emulator and can cause weird problems which might render your drive bad.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
eddie said:
Also tell us the distro, kernel and K3B version you are using.I really do not think that would be a very good idea.
Ubuntu 6.06
Kernel version: 2.6.15.x(I guess it was 28 )
k3b version:0.12.17

praka123 said:
dont ever try flashing firmwire from Wine! :eek:
Got it:D:D

eddie

El mooooo
cynosure said:
Ubuntu 6.06
Kernel version: 2.6.15.x(I guess it was 28 )
k3b version:0.12.17
You should think about updating both i.e. your kernel as well as K3B. The K3B final version is simply awesome :)

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ 2 months back I read about k3b v1.0
but only its source code was available at that time and not the debian package.
So I dint update it.

I am going to update it now if the deb packet is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom