Print over WIFI with an old USB only printer : Print Server? TP link Router?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I bought a Canon Pixma 2012 printer last year mainly for the Ink Tank functionality. One thing I missed was that this cannot print over WIFI and does not have an Ethernet port. I've been banging my head for a while (on YouTube, forums etc) and I can't figure out a cost effective way to get this to print over WIFI

I'm currently using a Jio Fiber router which has 2 USB ports but apparently Jio has disabled them. So I tired searching for some other routers that have a print server functionality

- *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00CEB53M...B53MS&linkId=c712fa81634c6c0029cf8823cf10b856 : Is one, it seems to work well from the reviews but I would definitely want something much cheaper

Would any of you be able to guide me if there are cheaper routers with this functionality or is there any other way to get this to print over WIFI.

My parent's and wife have already started to call my techi status into question over this printer :) :)

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Some more googling later it seems that Netgear R6120 also has something called readyshare print that should technically allow it to do WIFI printing. Can't seem to find any actual reviews of this though

*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0756FP9DH/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1

Also still trying to figure if this will allow me to print via android devices

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some more googling later it seems that Netgear R6120 also has something called readyshare print that should technically allow it to do WIFI printing. Can't seem to find any actual reviews of this though

*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0756FP9DH/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1

Also still trying to figure if this will allow me to print via android devices
Using Netgear R6220 usb port for converting usb printer to network printer(giving print from laptops over wifi). Works with both, the netgear utility which can be installed in any windows system & run to create a virtual printer port or directly by manually adding printer in the pc(need to install printer driver too in the pc system,see the below wiki link). Only requirement is that devices need to be on the same wifi network of netgear router.

*www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-USB-Printer-to-a-Network

For android I think you need a paid utility having all the popular printers drivers.
@SaiyanGoku

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Thanks a ton, so I'm guessing Android printing is out of question with more purchases. The wifi thing is super, I'm guessing it works on the router i shared as well

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a ton, so I'm guessing Android printing is out of question with more purchases. The wifi thing is super, I'm guessing it works on the router i shared as well
If you mean that jio fiber router then not necessarily because it all depends on the firmware & usually the oem manufacturer of such devices install a custom firmware locking anything which is not considered essential or asked for by the client. If usb ports are locked by firmware or the firmware does not have a print server then no way to use those usb ports for any printing function.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
If you mean that jio fiber router then not necessarily because it all depends on the firmware & usually the oem manufacturer of such devices install a custom firmware locking anything which is not considered essential or asked for by the client. If usb ports are locked by firmware or the firmware does not have a print server then no way to use those usb ports for any printing function.
Did a ton of experiments with jio, nothing works on the USB ports, pendrive bhi nahi. Thats where the search started for a new router

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
I'm also looking for this option of printing from android phone using usb so that I don't have to pay more for a printer with built-in wifi. I'm buying an ink tank printer hp or brother.

Found this on youtube: *youtu.be/M0LIdBukuqE
Want to know if it will work as that video is 5 years old. Also i did not really understand the steps shown.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm also looking for this option of printing from android phone using usb so that I don't have to pay more for a printer with built-in wifi. I'm buying an ink tank printer hp or brother.

Found this on youtube: *youtu.be/M0LIdBukuqE
Want to know if it will work as that video is 5 years old. Also i did not really understand the steps shown.
What exactly you didn't understand? You need to buy a type c/micro usb to usb A/B cable for connecting mobile to printer & buy the printer share app to use it to send print command to printer from mobile via usb.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phone requires USB OTG functionality , Also some paid unnecessary app. Plus, its possible not all printers are supported.
That paid app is not unnecessary, it is practically not possible to sell such an app for free that has to compile & create a database from hundreds of printers having functioning linux drivers & all such apps I know(excl manufacturer's own app) are paid only in the sense that even if app is listed as free you still need to pay beyond printing one test page.

Top Bottom