primary partitions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiOn

Broken In
hi
i just repartitioned my disk and reinstalled windows XP SP2. i have partitioned my 18 GB HDD into 3 drives (C:,D:,E: ) of 6 GB each.
however all three are primary partitions. what i want to know is : will this affect my programs in any way or the way the OS accesses the data?
Should i have created an extended partition and logical drives?(that was the way my system was configured before>> c:primary d:,e:,f: logical drives in extended partition of 3.7 GB each)
can anyone help me out??

btw i also have another question:
is it safe to delete the backup files created during installation of SP2?
(assuming i am not going to uninstall SP2)

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
ZiOn said:
hi
i just repartitioned my disk and reinstalled windows XP SP2. i have partitioned my 18 GB HDD into 3 drives (C:,D:,E: ) of 6 GB each.
however all three are primary partitions. what i want to know is : will this affect my programs in any way or the way the OS accesses the data?

No there won't [read should not be] be any problem if you are working on XP, 2K or linux only..however there might be some problems is you are also using Win98 as it does not support creating more than one primary partition...

ZiOn said:
Should i have created an extended partition and logical drives?(that was the way my system was configured before>> c:primary d:,e:,f: logical drives in extended partition of 3.7 GB each)
can anyone help me out??

However any OS supports only upto 4 primary partions [or 3primary+1logical or 2p+2l or 1p+3logical] any any number of extended partions in each logical partition. so you know how to partition your disks...also if you want to install linux later on you might need some free primary partitions (i.e. i am not sure if linux installs completely in expended partitions)

ZiOn said:
is it safe to delete the backup files created during installation of SP2?
(assuming i am not going to uninstall SP2)

Yups.

Hitesh Gupta

OP
Z

ZiOn

Broken In
thanks for the answers!
is it ok if i enable disk compression on all drives? will it affect performance in any way or rather more importantly will i gain more space by enabling it?

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
Well i have never done compression on big scale but here are a few tips..

1. DO NOT compress your system Partition (Normally C:) - Will affect performance if you do it..
2. Space gain wont be much in case music files, vedios etc..
3. Compression is handy in case there are a large number of files which are smaller in size..(space gain due to cluster size)...
4. in case there is a partiton with lots data files (office files, downloaded websited, e-books) you might gain some free space..

This is not an exhaustive list but just beginning

Hitesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom