Prescott ready cabinet for Athlon64??

Status
Not open for further replies.

parimal

Journeyman
Hello,
I'm looking to build a system based on Athlon 64 3000+ and Asus K8N motherboard. Now I'm very confused about choosing my cabinet. Should I buy a Prescott ready cabinet or the normal one??
The thing which I noticed is like this.......in Asus K8N mobo the CPU socket is located slightly lower to the normal position (I guess all P4 mobos are normally designed with CPU socket at extreme upper side). Now in Prescott ready cabinet, the duct for air ventilation is designed according to Pentium mobos. So is there any chance of mismatching this duct of cabinet and CPU socket in Asus K8N?? Like according to my calculation the duct can remain slightly above to CPU socket. I'm not sure about this as I'm building a system for a first time. Is anybody out here using the same mobo with Prescott ready cabinet?? Please help....totally confused!! :?

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
I'm actually looking for VIP 856 or VIP 860 cabinet. Here is a link-

*www.kunhar.com/vipcabinets/midtoweratx.htm

I'm using an iBox grab-it. Not heat issues (it's 36C with 90% humidity outside). Costs INR 1550. Swap power supply for a better one. However the default 300W is more than sufficient for my config (see signature below). These cases have a handy handle on top which is great for carrying around. Looks cool, is strong and well placed (wrt center of gravity) and is a pleasure to carry.

Grab-its have an air intake (on side panel) right above the CPU with an attached chimney like appendage (inside) to channel air directly over the CPU. Use an extra fan here to suck air into the cabinet.

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
I am using I Box i531 Grantsdale ready for my MSI Rs 480 Micro Atx mobo (939 socket) . It cost Rs. 1500. and comes with 350 Watts SMPS with 3 years warranty on SMPS :shock:.

It looks very elegant . Morever it has chimney vent for the cpu fan. As it is Grantsdale ready cabinet i found the vent slighty above the cpu fan but then also it is able to blowout the heat and dust effectively.

You shud go for it. :D

Check the link here :arrow: *www.iballonline.com/product.asp?subcategory=Cabinets&productname=i531 (Grantsdale Ready Cabinet)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
By the way guys we come back to the same Q
DOES THE CPU FAN SUCK AIR ON THE TOP OR BLOW AIR OUT TO THE TOP?
Accoriding to me i think the fan sucks in air and blowes it over the heatsink. So all this talk about the chimney and its effects realy do not make sense. As the air is being sucked in and the hot air is comming out of the side of the heatsink so what good does having a funnel on top do? Does it allows cooler fresh out of the box air to be sucked in or provide a path for the warm air to escape? I think the answer is nighter its a hoax and serves no purpose. The best solution is to remove the thing and use the hole in the cabinet to attach a fan that sucks air into the box.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Okie....thanks guys!! I'll go for cabinet with vent...!! But for which I should look for.....VIP or ibox. I heard that VIP makes good PSUs.

devilhead_satish

In the zone
iBox makes good cabinets but not good SMPS's. So make the change at the dealer level itself and fit in a nice Antec SMPS. They're the best. BTW even i use iBoX and have had no problems since the last one year.(new SMPS not the standard iBox SMPS)

pradeep_chauhan said:
By the way guys we come back to the same Q
DOES THE CPU FAN SUCK AIR ON THE TOP OR BLOW AIR OUT TO THE TOP?
Accoriding to me i think the fan sucks in air and blowes it over the heatsink. So all this talk about the chimney and its effects realy do not make sense. As the air is being sucked in and the hot air is comming out of the side of the heatsink so what good does having a funnel on top do? Does it allows cooler fresh out of the box air to be sucked in or provide a path for the warm air to escape? I think the answer is nighter its a hoax and serves no purpose. The best solution is to remove the thing and use the hole in the cabinet to attach a fan that sucks air into the box.

CPU Fan sucks air. A chimney vent near it makes perfect sense. The low pressure area just above the CPU fan will cause fresh air to come in from the side chimney vent. Another fan in the chimney is not a necessity. I've covered the chimney with a mesh filter, which eventually collected dust. This is proof enough that there is positive air flow through the chimney.

With this arrangement - cool air comes in thru side chimney > cpu fan blows it over cpu heatsink > hot air from sides of the heatsink is sucked and thrown out by the case fan at rear.

parimal - The grab-it iBox has a chimney vent as mentioned in my previous post. Only, then I didn't know it was called a "chimney vent.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
don't not buy smps/power supplies from :
vip
ibox

try to avoid other companies like powersafe and may/might be zebtronics as well if you can afford

budget-zebtronics 400watts + cab =1.5+-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom