Portable Shockproof 512 GB SSD or 1 TB SSD ?

RageshAntony

In the zone
My sister need a Portable 1 TB HDD to store very important mission critical Legal Datas such as docs, voice recordings and video recordings (She is a Civil Judge )

But she told that she wants something durable and without data damage by falling and water

So I thought about portable SSDs ?

Is that Right ?

Do portable SSDs shockproof by default (upto some practical extent ) ?

Suggestions please ?

OP
RageshAntony

RageshAntony

In the zone
Get Samsung T5 or T3 whichever fits in your budget.
Thanks,

But budget is below 10k !

What about these ?

*www.croma.com/sandisk-e30-1-tb-usb...2zUEhrVqQ-PumUQqCczgJC5xN_FMrtyhoCUjMQAvD_BwE

2 TB for 10k !
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/sandisk-profes...gen-1-external-hard-drive-sdph81g-002t-gband/

Samsung T7 ??
*www.croma.com/samsung-t7-1-tb-usb-...FfDXnOJtJmc78yiDhaezSpcDtVf9cQnRoCauQQAvD_BwE

OP
RageshAntony

RageshAntony

In the zone
Seems like Samsung launched T7 recently. You can get 1TB T7 from amazon for 9k.
What I'd do is buy an Orico nvme enclosure with the highest capacity drive I can afford.
Orico nvme enclosure ///

Is this something like, put the NVME internal SSD in to the case and connect the enclosure to USB port and use like portable SSD. Right?

If yes, then what about shock and waterproof ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
SSDs do not need to be as "shockproof" as hard drives. They do not contain spinning disks, they are just chips with microtransistors. Thats why they are so light and even if you drop them, they wont stop working. (Not that I recommend doing that)

I also recommend orico SSD case. This way, you can carry many different ssd with a single enclosure. In the long run it will be much cheaper.

You dont even need nvme ssd, just get regular sata ssd (something like MX500).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, USB will be a huge bottleneck anyway for nvme drives. I had an old Toshiba 512 GB nvme drive lying around so I got the orico enclosure to make it portable.
I don't suggest using NVMe enclosures because of poor heat dissipation & chances of NVMe damage in the long term. Just check the orico NVMe enclosures reviews on amazon US site. I only found one good enough enclosure by sabrant with "sandwich design" instead of "sliding design" but it is not sold in India officially. Sandisk Extreme V2 has a solid design(has IP rating) & good thermal performance & is available at 1TB capacity for under 9k on amazon after card discount.
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandisk-extreme-v2-portable-ssd-review

@Nerevarine

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't suggest using NVMe enclosures because of poor heat dissipation & chances of NVMe damage in the long term. Just check the orico NVMe enclosures reviews on amazon US site. I only found one good enough enclosure by sabrant with "sandwich design" instead of "sliding design" but it is not sold in India officially. Sandisk Extreme V2 has a solid design(has IP rating) & good thermal performance & is available at 1TB capacity for under 9k on amazon after card discount.
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandisk-extreme-v2-portable-ssd-review

@Nerevarine
I got the one with Aluminium heatsink:
*www.orico.shop/en/nvme-m2-ssd-housing.html

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the one with Aluminium heatsink:
*www.orico.shop/en/nvme-m2-ssd-housing.html
I know but check the reviews on amazon US. It seems the sliding type enclosures(which orico use) inside heat sink doesn't make proper contact with nvme ssd so even if outer heatsink material is aluminium it still result in overheating. Below are some reviews from similar orico sliding type enclosures having supposedly even better design than this transparent model.

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RT69G02VYFY3J/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS
Once you plug in one of these adapter / enclosures DO NOT unplug until you have shutdown the computer. It seems that the operating system sees these drives as internal drives, not hot swap USB devices. Unplugging this device while the computer is running could destroy the contained nvme drive.

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2H5IJBIQWNCRH/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R19NXI828H5451/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3BV3ZOFU866QM/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R5P8FNJ5ZVVAM/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R16UDGI6DQAH7R/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I know but check the reviews on amazon US. It seems the sliding type enclosures(which orico use) inside heat sink doesn't make proper contact with nvme ssd so even if outer heatsink material is aluminium it still result in overheating. Below are some reviews from similar orico sliding type enclosures having supposedly even better design than this transparent model.

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RT69G02VYFY3J/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2H5IJBIQWNCRH/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R19NXI828H5451/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3BV3ZOFU866QM/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R5P8FNJ5ZVVAM/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS

*www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R16UDGI6DQAH7R/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08G14NBCS
I'm seeing it as a USB drive and am able to hot-plug.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm seeing it as a USB drive and am able to hot-plug.
Maybe they changed it later or some different version but if you check reviews of any orico nvme enclosure on amazon US then majority negative reviews mention heating issue & in same way majority of sabrent sandwich type nvme enclosure praise thermal performance compared to orico enclosures. Have you checked your enclosure thermal performance during some 10-15 min copy paste task?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Maybe they changed it later or some different version but if you check reviews of any orico nvme enclosure on amazon US then majority negative reviews mention heating issue & in same way majority of sabrent sandwich type nvme enclosure praise thermal performance compared to orico enclosures. Have you checked your enclosure thermal performance during some 10-15 min copy paste task?
I cloned my OS drive onto it and the heatsink got warm, not hot. Maybe I should try to DIY attach a larger heatsink to it.

Top Bottom