Portable m-ITX SFF build in 50k.

z3rO

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Primarily couch gaming / HTPC.
Mainly some light couch (± co-op) gaming - Overcooked All You Can Eat, Stardew Valley, Cuphead, This War of Mine, Telltale games (Walking Dead).

If/When I get a dedicated GPU then -
Mostly single player story driven games - Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Days Gone (waiting for it), Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4, RDR2.

PS3 Emulation - Want to revisit God Of War and Uncharted series on RPCS3.

Others - Occassionally web browsing, movie watching.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
50k (±10k) without GPU. I really don't want to pay 2x MRP for a GPU right now, I can wait and go with an APU (4650G?) for now. Additional ~35k kept aside for GPU when the prices become reasonable. Can buy a used GPU ~1060 level performance and pair it 3600 instead of 4650G.

3. Planning to overclock?
No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Windows 10 Home.

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
I have a Samsung EVO 860 500GB SATA, will upgrade to M.2 NVMe a few months later.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
It'll mostly be connected to a 4K TV (yet to buy, recommendations are welcome, 55inch, ~50k). I plan to use it with my 1440p monitor aswell and 1080p TV when I travel home.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
I'll be building in Fractal Design Node 202 (mini-itx case, already bought). This PC needs to be portable, I don't want to buy another laptop. I need to buy the following - Motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
April End.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
I'll be assembling it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Strictly online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

This feels like the most important questions for my build because it is a pretty unconventional one. I understand I can save considerable amount of money by building in an ATX case but my portability is my primary requirement and I don't want to buy a laptop.
There are many better SFF cases in terms of airflow and internal structure but I had already purchased this case (Node 202) a few months ago because of its slim, console like structure. I couldn't proceed with the build back then.

My options are extremely limited due to SFF build. I have following configuration in my mind -

Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mini ITX ~11-12k
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G ~17k
PSU-SFX (very limited options) ~10k
RAM 3200 CL16 2*8GB ~8k Total around 50k

The reason behind thinking about getting 4650G is 6c/12t and the iGPU in it is fairly capable and can easily run games like Overcooked and Stardew Valley, can also run some AAA titles at playable frames at 720p low settings. Playing at native resolution at 60fps or more is not my requirement. I can go with Ryzen 3600 and GT 1030 (for now) but 4650G gives more or less similar performance in games and is cheaper. I don't want to go below 6c/12t as it will affect RPCS3 performance.

If I get an option to buy any GPU at MRP then I would immediately buy it but it is not gonna happen anytime soon. I have a separate GPU budget of ~35k. I've enlisted for FE 3060 Ti waitlist on RPTech but I don't have any hope.

Playing at native resolution and 60+ FPS is not important to me. I sure do appreciate more FPS, better graphics and higher resolution but it can wait. Till then I have many older and less GPU demanding games to play.

The motherboard should have Wifi + Bluetooth, I have had many unpleasant encounters with dongles.

I'm open to all types of suggestions/modification/totally another build but it has to be in Node 202. If you're suggesting some alternate build/components, a buying link would be highly useful to me.

I'm sorry if I missed something.
Wow, you're still reading, thanks for your time, appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Yes, although their availablity and popularity is increasing but very slowly.

Earlier microATX parts were not readily available but now they are. It'll take a good 5-ish years, maybe more, when miniITX components become common.

For now I'll have to make do with what's available.

Part selection is very limited & IMO for Indians who need portability, gaming laptops will always be the more convenient choice. I have myself considered SFF build once that too getting parts in US, but it was still inconvenient. It would have been convenient for someone living in the US who will likely travel a lot in their own vehicle instead of flight/train.

Anyways, R5 3600 + GTX 1060 will perform much better for gaming than R5 4650G. Look into ITX mobos for Intel as well, the i5 10400F (no iGPU) costs 13.5k & is a great value. Upcoming i5 11400 is said to be priced here for 17k & it is better for gaming than R5 3600 (so even R5 4650G). Some local sellers have got their hands on B560 mobos, didn't see them listed online though.

Based on where you live, try local or small sellers for parts. Like Lamington Road of Mumbai, SP Road of Bangalore, Nehru Place of Delhi or Chandini of Kolkata.

For contacting small sellers online, I have bought some accessories from this group, check their verified sellers, ask them for options:
*www.facebook.com/groups/1912531715688027/

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Thanks for replying.

I have a laptop (~7 yrs old) for basic tasks. Getting a gaming laptop to replace my current laptop is really tempting but the overall performance, heating issues, price and lack of upgradability is why I chose to build in a SFF case.

I do not intend to carry the build daily. Just once in a while which still is pretty important to me.

I live in a small rural town so local shopping is not possible for me. What's available online and can ship to my location is the only option.

I tried looking for Intel based mini ITX boards but couldn't find any under 10-12k online.

Yes, R5 3600 + 1060 will perform much much better but finding a reasonably priced 1060 or any good GPU is hard these days. I'm not a big fan of second hand components because of some previous experiences but might buy a second hand GPU if I find a good one. I even considered going for R5 3600 + 1030 which will give performance equal to 4650G. R5 3600 has better performance than 4650G and later I can sell 1030 and buy better GPU.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

I have a laptop (~7 yrs old) for basic tasks. Getting a gaming laptop to replace my current laptop is really tempting but the overall performance, heating issues, price and lack of upgradability is why I chose to build in a SFF case.

I do not intend to carry the build daily. Just once in a while which still is pretty important to me.

I live in a small rural town so local shopping is not possible for me. What's available online and can ship to my location is the only option.

I tried looking for Intel based mini ITX boards but couldn't find any under 10-12k online.

Yes, R5 3600 + 1060 will perform much much better but finding a reasonably priced 1060 or any good GPU is hard these days. I'm not a big fan of second hand components because of some previous experiences but might buy a second hand GPU if I find a good one. I even considered going for R5 3600 + 1030 which will give performance equal to 4650G. R5 3600 has better performance than 4650G and later I can sell 1030 and buy better GPU.
You will have to look for second hand GTX 1060 or RX 570 or something for a GPU, sadly.

Contact those sellers from the FB group, see if they have something not available in big PC stores like mdcomputers, vedant, primeabgb or even amazon. Some small trusted sellers that I know are elitehubs & sphinx computers.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
You will have to look for second hand GTX 1060 or RX 570 or something for a GPU, sadly.

Contact those sellers from the FB group, see if they have something not available in big PC stores like mdcomputers, vedant, primeabgb or even amazon. Some small trusted sellers that I know are elitehubs & sphinx computers.
Yes, thanks for the FB link. I'll try contacting them to find out what they have.

Top Bottom