Portable Harddrive data failure

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

My WD Passport is not detectable from yesterday and I am worried about the important data I have. :(

Its still under warranty, but I know that WD will only RMA the disk and not recover data.

Please advice.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes WD & seagate both only RMA the disk, recovering data is available only as a separate paid option if available & bought at the time of purchase.

Try with desktop rear usb port or another laptop/system. Restart the system just in case. When was the last time you checked your hdd health using crystaldiskinfo/similar tools(very important)?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Crystal Disk info reported 100% health when checked last time.
The last I used the disk was on Sunday. I copied some files and removed it. But yesterday night when I connected again it was not detectable.
Tried all USB ports and different cables. Though the disk LED is glowing and I can hear motor spinning sound.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you checked with a desktop system rear usb ports? How much time you let hdd connected before removing it when it was not getting detected, try for 4-5 min? While hdd is connected restart system & enter bios to see if it is getting detected there.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

WTF!!!! restarted the system and the HDD was detected now :shock: :

Though not detected in BIOS.

Now I'll backup quickly before it fails again

I have attached the Disk Info (taken just now)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Only 4 Attributes are visible in the tool. its due to the change in WD firmware.

Is your drive working fine now ?
Did you update the firmware? When did you buy this drive? Please try with the latest version of CDI. Also after the backup is complete try data lifeguard tool by WD.
No, replaced.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only 4 Attributes are visible in the tool. its due to the change in WD firmware.

Did you update the firmware? When did you buy this drive? Please try with the latest version of CDI.
In earlier 4tb models WD put firmware which hides most SMART parameter but I guess after many complaints they reverted back to usual firmware. I can confirm that 2019 wd 4tb models show all values.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In earlier 4tb models WD put firmware which hides most SMART parameter but I guess after many complaints they reverted back to usual firmware. I can confirm that 2019 wd 4tb models show all values.
One of my drives was an old one and the second one a very recent one and both were showing all attributes.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I downloaded the WDFirmwareupdater utility (zip). But it says my firmware is already up to date.

What is CDI ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my drives was an old one and the second one a very recent one and both were showing all attributes.
Yes that is expected, this only 4 attributes showing wd drive model series was an exception & probably sold for few months only in 2017/early 2018.

I downloaded the WDFirmwareupdater utility (zip). But it says my firmware is already up to date.

What is CDI ?
Never update firmware of any hdd/ssd unless absolutely required & before taking a backup of important data. CDI is crystaldiskinfo.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I can't get all the SMART values and will have to stick with the 4 attributes forever.
Yes unless you learn enough to extract the firmware file from portable hard drive controller & decode it to see the hidden values(quite risky procedure btw) or you manage to get a custom made firmware for your drive model from WD which allow seeing all attributes.

Top Bottom