Portable alternative for laptop display?

srdigit16

In the zone
My laptop's display is damaged & I currently use an external monitor. This makes it difficult to use the laptop at different places at home as I have to carry the monitor, cable & power adapter. Replacing the display seems quite costly. So is it good to buy a projector which can project the display up to 18 inches? Are there low cost projectors available? Any other alternative is also welcome.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
There are portable laptop displays available but it will have to be imported and might cost more than the laptop itself.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Think of it from an investors mind set. Is the laptop giving you chance to earn? If yes, you should probably get the display fixed. It should not be as expensive as you think, especially if you don't want high end OLED display.

A projector can't ever be cheaper than just getting the laptop display fixed.

If the laptop is just for recreational purpose and is not helping you grow either "money" (directly or indirectly) or "skill", then it would probably won't make sense to spend on it.

Change the display from a local repair shop, not authorised one. For my Alienware m15, I got a 1080p 144Hz 100% sRGB panel (very similar to the panel originally I got with the laptop) for 7.5k.

For budget laptops, I heard display costs 4-5k. Your portable display solution will cost more than changing the internal display.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Think of it from an investors mind set. Is the laptop giving you chance to earn? If yes, you should probably get the display fixed. It should not be as expensive as you think, especially if you don't want high end OLED display.

A projector can't ever be cheaper than just getting the laptop display fixed.

If the laptop is just for recreational purpose and is not helping you grow either "money" (directly or indirectly) or "skill", then it would probably won't make sense to spend on it.
I use it for both recreation & office work (as I work as remote developer). For work, I already have a monitor good enough & work in same room. My parents need my help outside office hours & my work room is at a corner in my house so if I use laptop there on weekends, it will be difficult for them to call me everytime.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Explain to your dad that laptop have issues, so call him in your room when he requires help. Instead of going to him with your laptop + monitor combo.
Maybe your dad themselves will fund your display or get you new laptop when he sees how distressed you are.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Explain to your dad that laptop have issues, so call him in your room when he requires help. Instead of going to him with your laptop + monitor combo.
Maybe your dad themselves will fund your display or get you new laptop when he sees how distressed you are.
Sorry my father is physically not well as he had stroke before 1.5 years

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
He's going to be fine. Please take care of him.
Have you tried finding out the cost of display at a local shop? If you are in delhi there's a very good shop in Nehru place who does a very quality shop, I can tell you about.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Portable display may turn out more expensive than getting the laptop display repaired or replaced.

Viewsonic Portable display
Code:
www.amazon.in/ViewSonic-VA1655-1080Pixels-SuperClear-Integrated/dp/B09237LL5Q

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom