Pls suggest best and durable Internal/External Optical drive

abhidev

Human Spambot
Please suggest a good and durable optical drive.

Also suggest whether I shall go for internal or external drives. Also should i consider blu-ray writers?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Please suggest a good and durable optical drive.

Also suggest whether I shall go for internal or external drives. Also should i consider blu-ray writers?

external is recommended
I myself use Buffalo External DVD writer (SONY internal writer is giving problems now :( )
regarding bluray writers if u need huge backups (games,bluray movies etc) then yes buy one

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
yes I was thinking of getting blu-ray writer as I have huge movie collection...having them on blu-ray will clear up some space on the computer.

how much does your dvd writer cost and is it reliable?

Are there any portable blu-ray writers?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
yes I was thinking of getting blu-ray writer as I have huge movie collection...having them on blu-ray will clear up some space on the computer.

ah..forgot the price but u can check online for Buffalo DVD Writer External (some other forum members here have the same drive)

BluRay portable writers are available starting from 7k
check LG,Samsung etc

tubelight

Broken In

It might be a more feasible option to invest in external storage drives rather than blu-ray for your movie/shows/games collections. Each 25GB blu-ray will cost you approximately Rs 130 to 180 depending on the brand you choose. Each 50GB disc costs about Rs. 250-350. You might get cheaper discs but you shouldn't trust those discs to last very long.

At its lowest price, 25GB x 40 = 1 TB which equates to a price per TB of Rs. 5200. For 50 GB discs, it would turn out a bit cheaper at Rs. 5000. Compare this to an external unpowered 1 TB device price of Rs 4300 to Rs 4500. External hard drive drive prices do not scale the same way that optical discs will and a 2 TB external in comparison will cost you roughly Rs 7000. Jump up to 3 TB and it costs 10-11k.

If you have a TV with a USB port there are attachments you can buy that will let you plug your drive directly to the television and play media off it.

Also, storing one or two external drives is much more easier than 40-60 discs. Finding something in your collection will be easier too not to mention the time it will take to burn 1 terabyte of data onto discs.

Just my two paisa :)

tubelight

Broken In
i was considering blu-rays coz then my hdd won't be always occupied :unsure:

I was in the same spot back when DVD's were in fashion. External drives were pretty rare and expensive back then so I got a whole bunch of DVD's and it took me about 15-20 days to burn approximately 100 DVD's with my shows onto it. This was....6-7 years ago. Eventually, I realized that discs are quite prone to failure even though I had Sony DVD's. Some episodes simply got corrupted while the rest of the disc was fine.

Then I bought an internal drive with an external casing and started using that, which is also an option for you. HDD's also have long warranty periods. Discs are not rewritable unless you want to double your costs. HDD's are just so much more convenient.

In your case I would suggest that rather than putting everything on discs figure out some part of your collection that you want on discs and justify the cost of a Blu-ray drive which itself costs as much as a 2 TB drive :)

If you have critical data, I would always recommend on keep it on a hard drive. With exceptions to extreme physical damage, data can more or less be recovered from a hard disk, for a cost. An optical disc with any damage is a lost cause.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
yea moreover the discs will take up space and also its not cost effective...I'll go with the hdd :D

Top Bottom