Please critique this HTPC configuration

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I have a home theater that's about to complete construction and I need to build an HTPC for it.

The idea is to be able to decode anything and everything thrown at the system through software if necessary. For example, non-standard formats such as H.264 High 10 profile.

I'm considering the following components for it (prices taken from pcpricetracker.in):

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - 25k
Mobo - Asus B550I ROG Strix - 21k
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC (16GBx2) - 20k
Case - Fractal Design Node 202 - 7.6k
PSU - Silverstone SST-ST45SF 450W SFX - 7k

EDIT: Updated

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/Ryzen 5 5600G - 24-25k
GPU - Not sure yet
Mobo - Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 - 15k
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC (16GBx2) - 20k
Case - Silverstone Grandia GD09 - 9k
PSU - Fractal Design Ion+ 660P - 13k

Honestly it feels like a lot of overkill when all it will do is be used for home theater.

However I don't know where to look for Tiger Lake NUCs within India.

EDIT: Some details which I think I missed in the top post:

1. This HTPC will run Linux and Kodi/mpv. That excludes MadVR as an option.
2. The display is a 135in screen, with a JVC DLA-N5 4K projector.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It IS overkill.
Like if I can play anything on my NAS, which contains:
Intel Celeron processor
Max 2.9 GHz
2 GB RAM

Then your system can surely power multiple streams at a time. :p

And is the case with glass on one side? It would give me nightmares, as I see lots of shattered glasses on Reddit due to multiple reasons.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I was like REALLY!!! Does HTPC demand such a rig?
Pentium or i3 wouldn't be enough?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Used to play 4k HDR videos with 8gb ram using MPC hc and madvr.

Native hdr is even lighter, low end android devices can play them nowadays

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It IS overkill.
Like if I can play anything on my NAS, which contains:

Then your system can surely power multiple streams at a time. :p

And is the case with glass on one side? It would give me nightmares, as I see lots of shattered glasses on Reddit due to multiple reasons.

This is actually a full metal/plastic enclosure that only supports SFX PSU. It is slim like a TV console.

I was like REALLY!!! Does HTPC demand such a rig?
Pentium or i3 wouldn't be enough?

I couldn't find anything that supports AV1 natively. Apparently only Tiger Lake and Rocket Lake chips support it, and I don't know where to get Intel NUCs with Tiger Lake chips. Rocket Lake runs in to the same problem of expensive motherboard.

@whitestar_999 @SaiyanGoku @Nerevarine say OP is running 10-bit video with madvr, do they need 32GB RAM ?? Any other video format/codec need such a CPU and RAM size?
How about if the OP is streaming on multiple devices at the same time?

I was planning to install Jellyfin Server on my NAS, but this machine will likely run Kodi and read files directly from the NAS.

Used to play 4k HDR videos with 8gb ram using MPC hc and madvr.

Native hdr is even lighter, low end android devices can play them nowadays

That's because of hardware decode IINM.

Another reason I want to build an HTPC is that I can install an Intel 82599EN PCIE 10GB SFP network card on it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@whitestar_999 @SaiyanGoku @Nerevarine say OP is running 10-bit video with madvr, do they need 32GB RAM ?? Any other video format/codec need such a CPU and RAM size?
How about if the OP is streaming on multiple devices at the same time?
For madvr the graphics card matters much more than processor. 32GB ram is a bit overkill & processor is definitely overkill but then again considering that a new 1650 is costing ~30k nowadays there isn't another option to get a more powerful integrated graphics solution.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
For madvr the graphics card matters much more than processor. 32GB ram is a bit overkill & processor is definitely overkill but then again considering that a new 1650 is costing ~30k nowadays there isn't another option to get a more powerful integrated graphics solution.
I think I'll be using mpv's tonemapping features and Kodi on linux.

It's not like my projector can display true HDR anyway, and HDR is yet to be implemented on linux.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Okay, looking at

*github.com/bloc97/Anime4K

Looks like I need to rethink my configuration and get a stronger GPU lol

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The parts which you are considering would be too much for an HTPC build IMO and you definitely don't need to spend 21k on a B550 mobo.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
You might need to look on aliexpress or banggood for it. But be cautious about customs.

does the old method of asking the seller to mark the item as gift works now?

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The parts which you are considering would be too much for an HTPC build IMO and you definitely don't need to spend 21k on a B550 mobo.
Looking at the Anime4K shaders I think I need a proper GPU too, something like a 6600XT or 6700XT.

The main problem with the mobo is that I can't find any mITX boards for the 5th Ryzen chips that are cheap. The Fractal Node 202 only supports mITX.

Now I need to find a horizontal case that will fit an mATX board.
You might need to look on aliexpress or banggood for it. But be cautious about customs.

does the old method of asking the seller to mark the item as gift works now?
Aliexpress is banned here, isn't it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, looking at

*github.com/bloc97/Anime4K

Looks like I need to rethink my configuration and get a stronger GPU lol
I say just get a good screen/TV(preferably older LG OLED model as latest series in India at least is a downgrade) & download 1080p/bluray remux/4k(wherever available). Also what does anime4k shaders have over madvr anyway.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I say just get a good screen/TV(preferably older LG OLED model as latest series in India at least is a downgrade) & download 1080p/bluray remux/4k(wherever available). Also what does anime4k shaders have over madvr anyway.
I am running linux and playback will be with Kodi and mpv. Anime4k works out of the box with mpv.

Display is a JVC DLA-N5 projector outputting to a 135in screen.

MadVR doesn't even come into the picture.

Also CMIW but does MadVR actually use neural networks based image upscaling? I thought it used directshow filters but no machine learning methods.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also CMIW but does MadVR actually use neural networks based image upscaling? I thought it used directshow filters but no machine learning methods.
From the creator of LAV filters:
*forum.doom9.net/showpost.php?s=681adbf76d87e5a82312aa3fd56215a2&p=1856595&postcount=53498

Top Bottom