Planned upgrade - config for your comments

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: It is going to be a home PC and I would use it for gaming. I'm not too fussy about only playing it at highest settings or at 1080p. But I definitely want to play all new games at a decent frame rate at at least 720p.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:30K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Win 7 / 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:I also have a Dell 2240L monitor so don't need it

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, mouse, Speakers, PSU (See down for more details)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Will build

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Mumbai, ok for online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
I am planning to upgrade my old, circa 2008 computer. After going through a lot of posts and the PC Config thread, I have shortlisted the following:-

Processor: AMD FX 6300; Rs. 7,470; Flipkart; Intel i3 4150 is a little costlier & I wanna try AMD

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43; Rs. 5,170; TheITDepot; Overclocking potential & crossfire support

RAM: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz; Rs. 4,365; TheITDepot

HDD: WD Blue 1TB; Rs. 3,870; TheITDepot

Graphics card: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 1GB DDR5* Rs. 6,950; Flipkart

Cabinet: Any cabinet; Rs. 1,500; Local store; Is there any specific cabinet you'd recommend?

DVD Writer; Samsung Internal DVD Writer; Rs. 900; Local store

Total 30,225
* For graphics card, the R7 250 2GB DDR3 also costs the same. So I'm confused which to go for. A few years down the line, I would go for crossfire, esp since the mobo supports it. And since crossfire doesn't require the same GPU, I could even go for an R9 then.

My old PSU, a Corsair VX 450W is working properly. As per powersupplycalculator.net, such a config (including 10% overclocking) would require 313W so I'm guessing my existing one should be good enough. I need your opinion on this.

I might get cheaper rates at Lamington Road but would visit it only after finalizing the config.

So do let me know your thoughts on the same and what changes I could incorporate.

Thanks,
Vignesh

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for the link, made the requisite changes.

Processor: AMD FX 6300 -7500,

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 -5200,

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4500,

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB -4000,

Graphics Card: Sapphire R7 250 1GB DDR5 -7000,

Cabinet: Deepcool Tesseract BW -2700,

DVD Writer: Asus 24D3ST DVD/RW -1100.

TOTAL -32,000.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=5009]vigneshnm[/MENTION],

I would like to add a word to help in build of PC. Here are some options for you

Intel Pentium G3258 or Intel i3 4150
Gigabyte GA-H81M
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD Blue HDD 1TB
Sapphire R7 250 1GB

I believe these components are best for multitasking, based on your budget.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In

Intel Pentium G3258 or Intel i3 4150

Hi,

I did consider the i3 4150 but there doesn't appear to be any advantages of it over the AMD FX 6300. Indeed, some reports suggest that the FX 6300 might actually be superior.
I've always used Intel so wanna try something new.

- - - Updated - - -

Air flow is important for the components to stay cool and longer. Yes the PSU is ok.

Oh ok. Thanks!

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi,

I did consider the i3 4150 but there doesn't appear to be any advantages of it over the AMD FX 6300. Indeed, some reports suggest that the FX 6300 might actually be superior.
I've always used Intel so wanna try something new.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ok. Thanks!

The choice of CPU depends on you. The reason to suggest the Intel i3 4150 over Amd FX 6300 because of its hyper-threading feature, which allows each CPU core to execute two threads simultaneously. The Amd CPU operating frequency of the microprocessor is higher than the frequency of the Intel i3 CPU, as a speed result Amd CPU is a faster than Intel CPU. In terms of performance and threading, Intel i3 series is better than Amd FX series in most applications.

Hope it helps.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In

The choice of CPU depends on you. The reason to suggest the Intel i3 4150 over Amd FX 6300 because of its hyper-threading feature, which allows each CPU core to execute two threads simultaneously. The Amd CPU operating frequency of the microprocessor is higher than the frequency of the Intel i3 CPU, as a speed result Amd CPU is a faster than Intel CPU. In terms of performance and threading, Intel i3 series is better than Amd FX series in most applications.

Hope it helps.

Hi,

I suppose hyper-threading would be most useful if I going to be doing a lot of heavy duty multi tasking, right?
While I don't think I would have such a use, I will keep your points in mind before taking the final decision.

Top Bottom