Phone Recommendation : Budget - INR 30K - Camera and Longevity is a priority

123hero

In the zone
Hi Peeps,

Wanna buy a phone in sometime soon - since existing phone doesnt look like it will be able to celebrate "Happy New Year 2023" with me considering it will be 4 years old as on Dec 2022.

1. Budget? - In the range of INR 25000 -INR 30000 (can stretch a couple of grand more for a really worthy option)

2. Display type and size? - As small/compact as possible, but looks like nobody wants them these days. :cry: Display needs to be AMOLED, decent outdoor visibility, dont want unoptimised 144Hz panel with faaltu ka stutter. Basically whatever is best available at this price point.

3. Dual sim? - Mandatorily required.

4. Preferred choice of brand? - I would like to avoid BBK brands but at this price cannot ask for much.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?- Want the best camera at this price range. Google Cam support required.

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). - Do I really have a choice here ??

7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi). - All common 4G & 5G bands required considering I may be travelling abroad.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)
Order of Priority

1. Multimedia - mostly Youtube +OTT +Whatsapp
2. Camera
3. Calling

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
  • Real Me 9 Pro + , though its very average in other departments.
  • Google Pixel 6A (not sure how possible it would be to get one at discounted price during the BBD sale
  • Would have liked the Motorola options - but their cameras seem disapointing - my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 took better photo with single lens than my friends Moto

10. Any other info that you want to share
  • I use my phone for a reasonably long period - infact more than 2.5 years to be precise, would need the phone to last a minimum of 3 years + with Android updates available for at least 2.5 years from the time of purchase assuming Diwali.
  • Need a phone with UI that supports everyday easy functionality like 3 finger screenshot, dual apps, call recording without intimating the other person on the line, a dialler app that doesnt crash especially during conference calls. etc. Stock android doesnt seem to have much options with these.
  • 3.5 MM jack seems to a be unavailable on most phones, would love if the phone had one, but not a deal breaker.
  • Saw my friends Pixel 4 and camera suprisingly performs better considering its a single lens unit. Would Pixel 4 be a good buy considering I would be using it for 2+ years and its already an old phone.
  • Any other flagship phones from 2021 that are available with better offers and still a viable option today. Asus 8z (aka zenfone 8 ) looks really amazing but its above my budget and Asus isnt a brand well known for releasing updates

Last edited:
Samsung A52s 5G - android 14 is its last OS update, so as good as competitors except A53 (which I won't recommend because of inferior SoC, which leads to inferior performance, more heat on load & potentially less battery life but Samsung did increase battery capacity).

Pixel 6a easily would have the best camera under 60k maybe, better max performance, is smaller (can be con as well for some) & 3 more OS updates, so till android 15. Stock UI vs One UI is personal preference & mine lies with One UI because of extra features like call recording, easy to use screenshot tools, etc. Disadvantages vs A52s: 60Hz display (not an issue if current phone is not 90Hz or 120Hz), lower battery life, no 3.5mm jack & maybe will heat up more while on load, like gaming.

If you are fine with android 13 being last OS update, S20FE 5G is an excellent choice. Selfie cam could have been better but rear cams are excellent for the price.

Realme 9 pro+ will likely go for 20k, good camera phone for that price.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Samsung A52s 5G - android 14 is its last OS update, so as good as competitors except A53 (which I won't recommend because of inferior SoC, which leads to inferior performance, more heat on load & potentially less battery life but Samsung did increase battery capacity).

Pixel 6a easily would have the best camera under 60k maybe, better max performance, is smaller (can be con as well for some) & 3 more OS updates, so till android 15. Stock UI vs One UI is personal preference & mine lies with One UI because of extra features like call recording, easy to use screenshot tools, etc. Disadvantages vs A52s: 60Hz display (not an issue if current phone is not 90Hz or 120Hz), lower battery life, no 3.5mm jack & maybe will heat up more while on load, like gaming.

If you are fine with android 13 being last OS update, S20FE 5G is an excellent choice. Selfie cam could have been better but rear cams are excellent for the price.

Realme 9 pro+ will likely go for 20k, good camera phone for that price.
S20 line up just doesnt feel right with the "green lines" on the displays.

I think realme 9 pro + seems to be the only worthwhile choice.

Is there any phones to be released until dec 22 ??

S20 line up just doesnt feel right with the "green lines" on the displays.

I think realme 9 pro + seems to be the only worthwhile choice.

Is there any phones to be released until dec 22 ??
See, those issues are not widespread. Samsung sells a lot of phones & even 0.1% QC fail would mean a lot of phones.

Since A52s 5G is 27-28k these days & you have the budget, I see no reason why to pick Realme 9 pro+, unless you want to save money.

Compare Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G vs. Realme 9 Pro+ vs. Google Pixel 6a - GSMArena.com
There can be some other surprise phone on sale as well, but let's see when sale starts.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Would the Nothing Phone 1 be worth considering it drops below 30k during the sales considering it has the Sony IMX 766 optics against the A52s 5Gs IMX 682 ?

Would the Nothing Phone 1 be worth considering it drops below 30k during the sales considering it has the Sony IMX 766 optics against the A52s 5Gs IMX 682 ?
No, at 20k, maybe yes. Reason is simple - reliability, don't trust them on hardware or software front. Let them be in market for 2 years.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Someone close to me is visiting Dubai, what is a good phone that I can ask them to get for me from Dubai ?

Will I be able to get the Asus Zenfone 9 at around 50K INR ???

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Someone close to me is visiting Dubai, what is a good phone that I can ask them to get for me from Dubai ?

Will I be able to get the Asus Zenfone 9 at around 50K INR ???
If you're buying from dubai you may need to look for samsung or iphone most of the Chinese brands sells separate indian version of their phones so volte,vowifi,vonr won't supported on Chinese imported phones also applicable to google pixel also I don't know about asus you may need to conform with anyone who bought the phone previously

Last edited:
OP

123hero

In the zone
would it be sensible to bump up the budget to 50K and get a Galaxy S22 ?

I like the small form factor but the battery seems disastrous.

or are there any worthy upgrades set to release in the next couple of months

would it be sensible to bump up the budget to 50K and get a Galaxy S22 ?

I like the small form factor but the battery seems disastrous.

or are there any worthy upgrades set to release in the next couple of months
Your choice, form factor & Samsung's UI are its top pros with SoC (overheats a bit on load) & small battery. Pixel 7 is another option. Pixel 7 & 6a seem to have slightly better battery life.

S23 will likely launch at 70-80k. Pixel 7a is few months away.

IMO get Pixel 6a. As I mentioned earlier, 60Hz is not an issue for people who haven't used a high refresh rate phone as daily driver. Because of SoC efficiency issues, I don't see S22 or Pixel 7 as worth it. Better save the 20k now & upgrade the phone in 2-3 years, instead of buying a 50k phone & using it for 4 years. Just my opinion.

OP

123hero

In the zone
Any compact phones that are set to release in 2023 ?

I dont wanna buy the massive phones. I will need to get extra long fingers to use them single handedly.

Arent anyone releasing phones with 5.9 inch / 6 inch / 6.1 inch displays ?

Any compact phones that are set to release in 2023 ?

I dont wanna buy the massive phones. I will need to get extra long fingers to use them single handedly.

Arent anyone releasing phones with 5.9 inch / 6 inch / 6.1 inch displays ?
S23 is already a great option. Expensive for sure. Will get 4 OS updates, so till android 17. Pixel 6a for something cheaper.

Pixel 7a will use Exynos, so easy no for me. If Pixel 8 uses SD 8 Gen 2, then good, but if its again Tensor fabbed at Samsung (aka Exynos), then that is out of consideration for me as well. 7a will get 3 OS updates, launch with 13, so till 16. Pixel 8 will launch with 14.

Zenfone 9 with 8 Gen 2 is set to launch soon, no idea if it will come to India. Sadly much worse software support compared to Samsung or Pixel. Will launch with android 13, maybe just 2 more OS updates.

OP

123hero

In the zone
S23 is already a great option. Expensive for sure. Will get 4 OS updates, so till android 17. Pixel 6a for something cheaper.

Pixel 7a will use Exynos, so easy no for me. If Pixel 8 uses SD 8 Gen 2, then good, but if its again Tensor fabbed at Samsung (aka Exynos), then that is out of consideration for me as well. 7a will get 3 OS updates, launch with 13, so till 16. Pixel 8 will launch with 14.

Zenfone 9 with 8 Gen 2 is set to launch soon, no idea if it will come to India. Sadly much worse software support compared to Samsung or Pixel. Will launch with android 13, maybe just 2 more OS updates.
I think I will settle for the Pixel 6a.

Other releases seem either way too far off or will be launched at ridiculous prices. I can afford to pay for an S23 or Iphone 14, but then my practical mind tells me that's way too much money to throw at a phone. One of the biggest positive for me is the compactness. Smartphones are going to be bulky and I can barely use 6 inch phones single handedly due to my small palms.

I come from a fairly old Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 that I have used for the last 5 years. I plan to use the Pixel 6A atleast for the next 4 years.

I dont use finger print scanner ( I know this is a problem on the 6A) or the Face ID, so thats not a deal breaker for me.

I live in Mumbai, so the service center issue is also not an issue for me. What are the things (based on real life use cases) that I should be concerned of, when using a 6a ?

I think I will settle for the Pixel 6a.

Other releases seem either way too far off or will be launched at ridiculous prices. I can afford to pay for an S23 or Iphone 14, but then my practical mind tells me that's way too much money to throw at a phone. One of the biggest positive for me is the compactness. Smartphones are going to be bulky and I can barely use 6 inch phones single handedly due to my small palms.

I come from a fairly old Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 that I have used for the last 5 years. I plan to use the Pixel 6A atleast for the next 4 years.

I dont use finger print scanner ( I know this is a problem on the 6A) or the Face ID, so thats not a deal breaker for me.

I live in Mumbai, so the service center issue is also not an issue for me. What are the things (based on real life use cases) that I should be concerned of, when using a 6a ?
6a's battery life & performance aren't great. Google throttled it enough to keep temps in check, but doesn't hide the fact that SoC is bad indeed.

FP issue is solved long back.

OP

123hero

In the zone
6a's battery life & performance aren't great. Google throttled it enough to keep temps in check, but doesn't hide the fact that SoC is bad indeed.

FP issue is solved long back.
I dont game at all so I may not be a power user as such.

I do take photos though.

Is the SoC that bad ?

I can wait for some time if a decent phone is being launched (dont wanna buy the BBK brands or Xiaomi), but pretty much seems visible on the horizon.

The only other phone worth are the NP1 and the slightly more expensive S21 FE 5G

I dont game at all so I may not be a power user as such.

I do take photos though.

Is the SoC that bad ?

I can wait for some time if a decent phone is being launched (dont wanna buy the BBK brands or Xiaomi), but pretty much seems visible on the horizon.

The only other phone worth are the NP1 and the slightly more expensive S21 FE 5G
I will say the battery & thermals situation is worse or similar at best with S21FE. NP1 is better for battery life because of S778, fabbed at TSMC not Samsung.

S21FE vs S20FE - both are almost the same phone with slightly different design but former has a Exynos fabbed at Samsung vs latter has S865 fabbed at TSMC. Generally chips fabbed at TSMC have better efficiency. Same can be seen in SD 8 gen 1 vs SD 8+ gen 1.

There are no other upcoming compact phones. Pixel 7a is coming soon, but will have an Exynos rebadged as Tensor SoC (same as Pixel 7). 7a will have a 90Hz panel though. 6a is a good choice if the camera is a priority & if you aren't jumping from a phone with a high refresh rate screen (as 6a has a 60Hz panel).

1681708003779.png

Top Bottom