Pentium 4 vs Pentium Mobile . The confusions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FxBOOM

Broken In
When P4 3.4 is here then why Pentium Mobile just 1.7 ?
Please tell me what the hell PM have that its making people happy at clock of 1.7 GHz .

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
1. Pentium M is available in 2.13GHz
2. It was intended for laptops and is meant to save power.
3. The Pentium M can outperfom or at least match P4s that are much faster so no need for higher clock speeds. Besides, you should know that clock speeds alone do not mean anything.

asdf1223

Journeyman
the pentium m is world renowned for great perfomance coupled with low power consumption.its so good that commercial production of boards for desktops from aopen and asus have started for the pentium m series.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeh Nemesissaid it right that "Besides, you should know that clock speeds alone do not mean anything." as there many other things that do matter the performance of a processor !!!
Like L2 and L3 cache, FSB, Etc.

And mind you that AMD processors that have far less clock speeds do out perform Intel Processor !!!

And so Clock speeds arent the only thing responsible for good performance !!!

OP
F

FxBOOM

Broken In
But What if the difference of clock speed is almost double
if i need to buy the most powerful laptop today what are ur suggetions?
remember i want to spend money for POWER only .
I Mean suggest a best buy LAPTOP

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
@FxBOOM, It depends on u r requirements......there are better processors in laptop like centrino etc .....where u are able to get speeds at better prices...

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
FxBOOM said:
But What if the difference of clock speed is almost double
if i need to buy the most powerful laptop today what are ur suggetions?
remember i want to spend money for POWER only .
I Mean suggest a best buy LAPTOP

Well AMD 3400+ 64 can outperform an intel 3.4 GHz in many fields even though it is clocked at just 2.0~2.2 GHz, so pretty good difference in clock speeds.

If you want Best features(like WIFI, etc.) + good performance then go for Intel's Centrino or if you want Best Performance + good features then go for 64bit AMD processors !!!

asdf1223

Journeyman
the best gaming laptop would be acer's ferrari(amd turion).toshiba and sony vaio(centrino would be equally good).

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@asdf1223: Unfortunately, the Ferrari 4000 is NOT the best gaming laptop. The best is the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2. It is widely regarded as the fastest laptop ever. AMD hasn't been able to make much of an impact in the mobile market because of the quality of the Centrino platofrm. Soon, Intel will launch dual-core and 64-bit Pentium M processors which should raise the performance bar even higher.

@FxBOOM: Yes you spend money for power and I admit that the 3.4GHz P4 has raw power. But when it comes to applications. the 2.13GHz Pentium M gives it a good run for it's money while consuming less power. When you are on the move, you need battery life which is where the Centrino platform comes into play. Also, the P4 has a tendency to heat up very quickly which is not so with the Pentium M chips. Furthermore, the Centrino platform makes it possible to have thinner and lighter notebooks. Like I said before, if you want the absolute best, look no further than the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2. It comes with a 2.13GHz Pentium M, 1GB DDR2-533 RAM, a GeForce Go6800 Ultra with 256MB memory, a 17" widescreen display at 1920x1200 resolution and a 7.2k rpm HDD.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Nemesis said:
@FxBOOM: Yes you spend money for power and I admit that the 3.4GHz P4 has raw power. But when it comes to applications. the 2.13GHz Pentium M gives it a good run for it's money while consuming less power. When you are on the move, you need battery life which is where the Centrino platform comes into play. Also, the P4 has a tendency to heat up very quickly which is not so with the Pentium M chips. Furthermore, the Centrino platform makes it possible to have thinner and lighter notebooks. Like I said before, if you want the absolute best, look no further than the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2. It comes with a 2.13GHz Pentium M, 1GB DDR2-533 RAM, a GeForce Go6800 Ultra with 256MB memory, a 17" widescreen display at 1920x1200 resolution and a 7.2k rpm HDD.

ONE HOT MEAN MACHINE DUDE (for a laptop),

Whats its price around dude ???

aceman

Broken In
Around 2000 pounds or about $4000 comes to around Rs 1.8 lakh................one can afford a 7800GTX based desktop + a decent laptop at that price :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ferrari at ~$2000 is a reasonable buy ..........but the native resolution is 1680 and comes with only a X700.............thus not much of gamming can be done........a lower native resolution + better GPU would have made this one a steal ( and i would have bought one) 8)

asdf1223

Journeyman
Unfortunately, the Ferrari 4000 is NOT the best gaming laptop. The best is the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen2. It is widely regarded as the fastest laptop ever. AMD hasn't been able to make much of an impact in the mobile market because of the quality of the Centrino platofrm. Soon, Intel will launch dual-core and 64-bit Pentium M processors which should raise the performance bar even higher.

i stand corrected but the ferrari 4000 is the best in india since dell hasnt started shipment of xps in india(would love to see it though a 6800 ultra on a laptop rocks! :wink: )

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Yeah a decent XPS Gen2 will cost you at least $3000. The fully loaded one will probably end up costing between $3500-4000. I think you can get a Go6800 on the Inspiron 9300 also. Not sure, but you can check witrh Dell. The 9300 is a cheaper alternative to the XPS Gen2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom