Pen drive not copying

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi,

I have a pen drive with important stuff in it. It has two folders. One folder is being copied fine in the pc. The other one is giving this error-

*i.imgur.com/8C6wwSn.jpg

If I try to copy the individual files from this folder I get the same error. Why am I getting this error and how to fix the same?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe pendrive got corrupted(they can quite easily).Try to copy using live linux using another pen drive.If same error even with live linux then try some data recovery software as last option.Try changing usb ports,laptop etc too.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Maybe pendrive got corrupted(they can quite easily).Try to copy using live linux using another pen drive.If same error even with live linux then try some data recovery software as last option.Try changing usb ports,laptop etc too.
Thanks for replying. If the data was corrupted then don't you think that the files etc in that folder would have been corrupted too I.e. they wouldn't have opened, right? Should I install live Linux or boot via the same?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If the files in that problematic folder are indeed opening, then you should try opening them in their application (wherever possible) and try saving them to a desired location on your PC from within the application and check if that action somehow succeeds.

How old is the pen drive? What is the source of data? Did you create/copy the folder in question or was it created by someone else on another system and given to you? Is the drive formatted as FAT32 or NTFS? Is the pen drive from a known brand?

Can the problematic folder be copied elsewhere on the pen drive itself?

At a preliminary level from Windows command prompt do run chkdsk <DriveLetter:> on the problematic pen drive and see if it reports any errors.

As already suggested, just use any live linux bootable media (CD/DVD/Pendrive etc) and see if you can mount the problematic pen drive thru live linux and try copying that folder/files to PC or another good pen drive.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@patkim
I will try saving them. It is about 2 years old. I copied the whole folder which has few work related stuff from the same PC. to this PD about 2 months ago. IDK about fat or NTFS. How to check it? It's from Harassment-Packard.
Will try.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
CHKDSK also reports the file system in its output. Usually the very first line. If you do not know or have not explicitly formatted the pen drive, it usually should be FAT32 only.

You can even go to Administrative Tools -->Computer Management --> Disk Management and see the File System for each mentioned drive therein.

Had it been NTFS, possibly file/folder level permissions and access related issues might have been applicable, just in a rare case, hence asked.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you run the chkdsk command with /f ?The error seems to be corruption due to sudden power loss & most likely after fixing the error using /f command you will lose some data in that folder.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Did you run the chkdsk command with /f ?The error seems to be corruption due to sudden power loss & most likely after fixing the error using /f command you will lose some data in that folder.
I ran the command with cmd. How to fix it and make the drive free of all errors?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
chkdsk X: /f
The above command will check drive X for error & fix it(/f is for fixing,without it chkdsk will just check & report any errors without actually fixing anything).

patkim

Cyborg Agent
The purpose of asking you to just run CHKDSK was to first check if it reports any errors. Now that it has indeed reported errors, the next logical step is to run CHKDSK with fix option /F to attempt to fix the same. Refer the above post by @whitestar_999 for the details. To know more about all possible commands type CHKDSK /? this will just throw help page on screen.

Did you ever disconnect the pen drive without safe eject?

Also if some files are somehow opening in associated app, do try to save them elsewhere if it works.

dude you need to read this forum post replies error 0x80004005 in windows 8.1 when trying to copy files to a different drive. - [Solved] - Windows 8

Top Bottom