Peculiar fan sound of CPU

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
My Desktop-PC system, when started gives out a peculiar whining sound from the CPU. The sound starts after some time of running the machine.
CPU is AMD FX-6300 and CPU fan is stock cooler fan.
Through Hardware monitor I've seen the temp. of CPU comes at about 56 degrees Celsius.

Do, I need to change the CPU Fan, or do I need to re=apply thermal paste properly?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reapplying thermal paste seems better to try first but considering the current lockdown situation I will advice not to do anything as it may result in a non-working system because there are always chances of mishap.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
clean the fan, remove the sticker on it and put a drop of bajaj almond oil (Re 1) on the motor...let it dry and re mount the fan....DO NOT DO IT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS 100% ACCURATELY

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
clean the fan, remove the sticker on it and put a drop of bajaj almond oil (Re 1) on the motor...let it dry and re mount the fan....DO NOT DO IT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS 100% ACCURATELY
I wouldn't suggest to do it even for an experienced person nowadays unless it is the last resort situation because there is no 100% guarantee of anything not going wrong in doing any disassembling/reassembling of pc parts & currently in lockdown you won't even be able to get any spare part if something does go wrong. Btw how will anyone do this without having some spare thermal paste lying around in the home.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I wouldn't suggest to do it even for an experienced person nowadays unless it is the last resort situation because there is no 100% guarantee of anything not going wrong in doing any disassembling/reassembling of pc parts & currently in lockdown you won't even be able to get any spare part if something does go wrong. Btw how will anyone do this without having some spare thermal paste lying around in the home.
thermal paste is a must.. and lubrication method is an option to it of course.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Friends, I changed my stock cooler fan of CPU and instead am using the Antec A30 CPU Cooler. Temps. decreased considerably...hovering around and below 40 degree centigrade mark.
The fan was also running silently, BUT,BUT..............................the strange whining continuous sound seems to come back.
This occured,when I enabled CPU Fan Failure within the BIOS.

Any idea what is happening?

@whitestar_999 ; @avichandana20000 ; @topgear and @...all

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

sounds like the 50hz hmmmm. What else have u plugged in with your PC? AC or something?
No question arises... Room is non-AC.
Plugged in: Speaker 2.1(Nirantar) from iBall
Plugged in: LAN RJ-45 cable from Archer C20(Tp-Link)
Plugged in: USB optical mouse(Logitech)
Plugged in: USB keyboard(Logitech)
Plugged in: Monitor 23inch from BenQ(HDMI -to -HDMI) with Gigabyte RX560 GPU
Plugged in : Circle 600VA UPS

Any INCONSISTENCIES anywhere?????

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
No question arises... Room is non-AC.
Plugged in: Speaker 2.1(Nirantar) from iBall
Plugged in: LAN RJ-45 cable from Archer C20(Tp-Link)
Plugged in: USB optical mouse(Logitech)
Plugged in: USB keyboard(Logitech)
Plugged in: Monitor 23inch from BenQ(HDMI -to -HDMI) with Gigabyte RX560 GPU
Plugged in : Circle 600VA UPS

Any INCONSISTENCIES anywhere?????

What is the age of your PSU? Also check if anything is not short-circuited on your motherboard. Checkout if any cap is burned. Most probably sound arises from here.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Few things to try

Take the PSU out and run paperclip test on it and let it run for 5 – 10 minutes. Check if any such sound comes.
Make sure that whatever is the retention mechanism to hold the fan with the metal sink is tight enough.

When you run it out of cabinet, if the sound comes, while the system is still running just carefully unplug the CPU fan connector. You have to be extra careful as system is running. Does the sound remain or go away? If possible, use rubber gloves as you don’t want any part of your skin touching the board while it’s powered on. Don’t attempt this if you are not comfortable doing it.

Check if there’s any AMD cool n Quite setting in BIOS and enable the same
If possible, plug the system to some other power socket in your house.
Carefully try to feel if it’s coming from the fans on your graphics card rather than PSU & CPU Fan.

While inside the cabinet, when the sound comes try to record it at 3 positions, once near PSU fan, near CPU fan & near GPU fan and make a comparison which is strongest, if you can make it out.

To me it feels like some sort of vibrations or may be coil whine.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Few things to try

Take the PSU out and run paperclip test on it and let it run for 5 – 10 minutes. Check if any such sound comes.
Make sure that whatever is the retention mechanism to hold the fan with the metal sink is tight enough.

When you run it out of cabinet, if the sound comes, while the system is still running just carefully unplug the CPU fan connector. You have to be extra careful as system is running. Does the sound remain or go away? If possible, use rubber gloves as you don’t want any part of your skin touching the board while it’s powered on. Don’t attempt this if you are not comfortable doing it.

Check if there’s any AMD cool n Quite setting in BIOS and enable the same
If possible, plug the system to some other power socket in your house.
Carefully try to feel if it’s coming from the fans on your graphics card rather than PSU & CPU Fan.

While inside the cabinet, when the sound comes try to record it at 3 positions, once near PSU fan, near CPU fan & near GPU fan and make a comparison which is strongest, if you can make it out.

To me it feels like some sort of vibrations or may be coil whine.

I have identified, It is a coil whine causing that 50 hz. hmmm. I think it caused due to poor earth. Or maybe something is wrong in the PSU.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Thank You all, FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@whitestar_999 ; @patkim ; @RumbaMon19 in particular.

EVERYTHING IS FINE YET NOT FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the BIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Inside the BIOS settings--->under M.I.T.---> under PC Health Status,
I Disabled the CPU temp. warning,CPU Fan Fail warning,1st System Fan warning,2nd System Fan warning,...

the issue IS GONE.
NO SOUND COMING OUT. Fans are running as SMOOTH & SILENT as ever...................:grin::number1::bananana:

But when I again rebooted and entered BIOS and enabled those settings under PC Health Status,the sound came back again.

DISABLING IT, IS THE ONLY OPTION(????!!!!!!!!!!!!!????):rolleyes::chinscratch:.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

No need for almond oil.. coconut oil is good enough..
But for this small motor you don't need oiling.

Similar sound for #MeToo
But, is it coming right after power on beep sound.

In my case it's, power on beep sound + continuous beep sound..

I have identified, It is a coil whine causing that 50 hz. hmmm. I think it caused due to poor earth. Or maybe something is wrong in the PSU.
Are you sure..? because I don't think earthing will be disturbed automatically unless you change / rewire hardware.

That sound is not coming from buzzer/CMOS speaker?

Last edited:
Top Bottom